PDA

View Full Version : Customer product photos

Stephen Tashiro
07-18-2013, 3:53 PM
Amazon.com was the only big online seller I know that posted customer contributed product photos. Now their technical support says those photos will be eliminated from the Amazon site by August 15. I wonder if the photos were too big a database problem - even for a seller of "cloud" storage.

Larry Frank
07-18-2013, 8:21 PM
I just looked on the Amazon site and could not find anything about eliminating the photos. I probably just missed it. They still have all the instructions for adding photos.

Stephen Tashiro
07-18-2013, 9:53 PM
I just looked on the Amazon site and could not find anything about eliminating the photos. I probably just missed it. They still have all the instructions for adding photos.

The elimination of photos isn't proclaimed on the Amazon website. Sellers of items can still add photos. But customer contributed photos are being eliminated and the option to upload them is being removed from the pages.

For example, the upload option is gone from the page: http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW744XRS-10-inch-Table-Rolling/dp/B0014GD3HQ/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1374198840&sr=8-2&keywords=DeWalt+table+saw

Myk Rian
07-19-2013, 7:14 AM
I would guess there were copyright issues.

Rich Engelhardt
07-19-2013, 7:31 AM
I'd think it's more content related than anything else.
Any idiot with a cell phone connected to the web could upload Lord only knows what - 7x24x365.

So - instead of seeing a nice layout of pictures of someone using their table saw, all you get is 100 pictures of some clown's new tattoo - that's in a place you really wish you'd never seen - tat or no tat..

Stephen Tashiro
07-19-2013, 11:00 AM
I'd think it's more content related than anything else.
Any idiot with a cell phone connected to the web could upload Lord only knows what - 7x24x365.

He'd have to be a very determined idiot with a lot of time on his hands. Amazon's image upload process, was rather time consuming and buggy. In fact , the tech support message mentions a lack of participation as one of the reasons the feature is being eliminated. ( I suspect that candid photos showing the quality of products caused complaints from sellers.)

Rich Engelhardt
07-19-2013, 3:51 PM
He'd have to be a very determined idiot with a lot of time on his handsAll the youtube videos of people doing stupid things and even stupider people videoing them doing those stupid things tells me there no shortage of idiots w/lots of time on their hands ;).

I was thinking more along the lines of sort of "cell phone graffiti" - pictures having nothing to do with the products.
Somebody uploading pictures of their new tattoo or newest body piercing - stuff like that.