PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple boxes

keith zimmerman
05-24-2005, 12:26 PM
Here are a couple of lidded boxes I recently completed. Both are of Ambrosia Maple. One is finished with Minwax Tung Oil finish, then Watco spray lacquer, and finally buffed on the Beall system. The Tung Oil Finish added an amber color to the finish. The other box is finished with only the Watco spray lacquer and then buffed. The color of the box remained light.

The lids on both boxes are loose fitting because they are destined to be sold and used, and I have discovered that people want to be able to open the box with one hand and really don't care if the lid pops or snaps.

Thanks for looking.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Keith,

They both look great! I really like the one on the left. The form melds well from the top to the bottom.

Fred Ray
05-24-2005, 2:46 PM
I like the one on the left better too. I personally would like to see a little knob on top that gives you something to grip to remove the lid. I like the warmer color that the oil gives maple. Nice work on both!

Carole Valentine
05-24-2005, 3:33 PM
They look really nice. I guess I will have to go with the laquer to keep white woods white. Can't get Watco around here. They only have Deft and I have never been real happy with their stuff so I will just have to wait 'til I get to the city to get the Watco.

Glenn Hodges
05-24-2005, 4:18 PM
Keith, they are both beautiful. The knob ads a nice accent to the curve.

Jim Ketron
05-24-2005, 4:46 PM
Nice Job Keith! They look great!

Is That some that you got from me?
Jim

Michael Stafford
05-24-2005, 4:59 PM
Wonderful little boxes, Keith. I love boxes and you did a wonderful job with these. :)
Was this kiln dried wood or did you turn them rough when green and allow them to dry before you finished turning them? or did you use some other process?

I have contemplated using some green wood to turn boxes but have had less than satisfactory results. I guess I have not allowed them to dry long enough.

Nice job and nice finish. I will have to try the lacquer one of these days because I would like some of my woods to stay lighter.

keith zimmerman
05-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks to everyone. I have finally gotten into making lidded boxes and really enjoy it.

Carole, I found the Watco spray laquer at Menards. I think it is relatively new as I have never seen it before. I have used Deft in the past for other purposes and really dislike it too.

Jim, Yes, this is some of the wood I got from you. I also made a gorgeous bottle stopper from another piece. I have been hesitant to turn the bowl blank, but doing the smaller pieces and a couple of demos recently has given me the confidence to go for the large blank soon. It should be remarkable when it is complete. I have also been searching for a finish to retain the whiteness of the maple. The Watco spray laquer should fit the bill and I really like the results from spraying these boxes.

Big Mike, The wood was green. I rough turned both boxes and then alcohol soaked to aid in drying. I had a couple of failures when I first started using alcohol, but after a chat session and a couple of emails to Dave Smith, I think I have it figured out. Both boxes were soaked about 3 hours, allowed to air-dry, then wrapped in grocery bag paper for a couple of days. There were no cracks and very minimal warping.

Keith

Michael Stafford
05-25-2005, 3:07 PM
Thanks for the info, Keith. I am familiar (somewhat) with the alcohol drying method as I have dried two hand fulls of bowls that way. I have not tried it on wood for boxes yet. Did you follow the 1/10th rule as far as your rough wall thickness was concerned?

John Hart
05-25-2005, 5:35 PM
I think they both look great. I've always loved Ambrosia Maple. What are their dimensions?

Harry Pye
05-25-2005, 6:52 PM
Michael,

I've turned a couple boxes from green wood and have a couple more dried and ready to turn. I dried mine in the microwave. My microwave has a defrost cycle and I use it for the minimum time. First time the wood comes out it is steaming. I allow it to cool completely and weigh it on a digital postal scale before nuking it again. I just continue these cycles until the weight stops changing. It doesn't take too long and the wood has stabilized its weight and even feels dry. Any minor cracking I believe was there before I started microwaving it.

keith zimmerman
05-25-2005, 9:23 PM
Mike, the only rules I strictly follow about turning or any art is about techniques and safety. Other than that, I don't strictly follow any rules.

I kind of use that 1/10th thing when alcohol soaking bowl blanks in the traditional orientation, but I usually use my judgement as to the thickness. Both these boxes are traditionally oriented and were turned to about 1/4" before soaking and they were finished with 1/8" walls. I tend to turn end-grain stuff much thinner before soaking as I have noticed that the end-grain items don't move near as much. I have a couple of apricot end-grain boxes in the finishing stage and they were turned to 3/16" and finished with 1/8" walls.

John, the left box is about 3x3" and the right one is 3 1/2" in diameter and 2" tall.

Thanks for asking.

Keith

Michael Stafford
05-26-2005, 3:42 PM
Thanks Keith for your patience in replying to all the questions. :o I just want to increase my success rate for green wood boxes. Your boxes inspire me to try again. :)

Harry, thanks for the microwave drying info. I will try it. ;)

Gotta love all the knowlege to be gained on this forum! :D