PDA

View Full Version : Which lathe?

John Sincerbeaux
07-18-2013, 10:06 AM
I know, another "which lathe" question?
I am looking into buying a lathe for doing pedestals for relatively small tables that will have marquetry tops. I like big beefy pedestals so I am looking for a lathe that can handle that. The pedestals will have top and bottom caps which I will turn like bowls and or platters. I am sure along the way I will like to turn vases too. I have not turned since high school shop class.

When I buy a tool or machine, I always strive to buy "the best". I love German/European tools and machines. I recently bought a Kundig "Uniq" edge sander to give you an idea. When I buy a tool or machine I know I am buying a machine that my boys will one day have too:) I have been looking at all the usual great lathes; OneWay, Robust, Vicmarc, VB36, Powermatic, etc. But while I have been researching, I kept asking myself... What lathes are the Germans making? So I googled German made lathes and found Seinert. Sure enough Seinert makes what appears to be a very nice lathe. The Maximo looks awesome but it is way longer than I need or want. Also, it is very expensive not to mention there are no North America distributors so I am sure buying one direct/shipping would be crazy expensive. I also found out that Seinert is now going to produce the VB36. It will be interesting to see if they combine models too?

I plan on taking some classes that have a variety of lathes so I can get a better "feel" for different lathes. I do like the idea of a sliding/pivoting headstock. But I also really like the fit and finish of the OneWay? Does anyone know that much about Seinert?

Thanks for any opinions.

JS

Alan Trout
07-18-2013, 10:31 AM
In a premium lathe it is hard to beat a Robust American Beauty. Take a look at one and Give Brent a call and he will tell you all about. I favored it over the Oneway and bought one myself.

Robert Henrickson
07-18-2013, 10:33 AM
I plan on taking some classes that have a variety of lathes so I can get a better "feel" for different lathes. I do like the idea of a sliding/pivoting headstock. But I also really like the fit and finish of the OneWay? Does anyone know that much about Seinert?

Trying out different types of lathes is a good idea. If you indicate where you are, you might be able to try out lathes in other local turners' shops. Making contact with a local turning club, if there is one, would also broaden your exposure.

I prefer sliding tailstocks, but that is my preference. I turn a wide range of things, from bowls and hollow forms to long spindles; bowls and platters may be easier with a sliding tailstock since you can get freer access to the face by working at the end of the lathe. Ultimately it should come down to what feels right for you.

Mike Cruz
07-18-2013, 11:39 AM
The crème of the crop, in my eyes, is the Robust American Beauty. Hard to top it. That said, some prefer the Oneway. But you can't go wrong with the Robust AB.

Jeffrey J Smith
07-18-2013, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=Robert Henrickson;2133217]Trying out different types of lathes is a good idea.

My advice: contact the manufacturers or distributors for the lathes you're interested in. Ask them how you can get some time on a machine before deciding. If you're looking at a premium machine, expect premium customer service; in fact, for that kind of money, demand it. It's a good place to start.
Ask at your local club - most owners will gladly advise you on their experience, some may even allow you hands-on time. I haven't met too many turners that don't love to discuss their equipment.
I spent nearly a year getting comfortable with raiding a retirement account to buy the lathe I plan on turning on for a very long time. Found ways to turn on the three I narrowed my choice to - Oneway 2436, Robust AB and PM 4224, and spent enough time to at least rough a couple of blanks on each. Brought my own tools, chucks and wood; cleaned up when I was done and took the shavings with me. Found the Robust to suit me best and I've been more than delighted with the decision. Even made a couple of good acquaintances in the process.

John Sincerbeaux
07-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks guys.
I am leaning towards the Robust AB.

Jeff Nicol
07-23-2013, 8:21 PM
John, Let us know where you are in this big ball of spinning dirt, water and magma and I am sure there are some folks close by that may have a good variety of lathes for a newcomer to test out. We turners are a very sharing and caring bunch, and for me it is always nice to know if someone is down the street or across the pond from me!

Good luck and if money is no object, heck buy a couple, because a turner can never have just one lathe!

Jeff