PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 3070 router plane

Dell Littlefield
07-18-2013, 7:54 AM
I recently purchased this plane at an online auction. I did not know the blade is unique to this plane. It came with a 1/2 inch blade and the fence did not come with it. Am I restricted to this single blade or is there some way to use other blades (Lee Valley)? I bought it as a user and this is my first experience with this tool. Any advice or recommendations?

Sam Takeuchi
07-18-2013, 8:45 AM
It would help if you could post pictures.

What I could gather from looking at online pictures, the only thing unique about it is that the depth adjuster post is shorter and that notches cut into the blade's shaft, but the shape looks to be the same as Stanley, Record and Veritas router plane. If the shape is compatible, you could simply cut notches using grinding disc and you should be able to use Veritas router plane blades.

don wilwol
07-19-2013, 5:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Winchesters were mostly made by Stanley, but as stated, some pictures would help.

Dell Littlefield
07-19-2013, 8:13 PM
I have since learned the Winchesters were made by Sargent. The Sargent 62 is almost identical. I have cleaned and tuned this one and it seems like it is going to do the ticket. I will probably never be able to find a 1/4 inch blade for it so i have built a wooden mini using a 1/4 inch allen wrench. I think I am off and running. Thanks for your replies