PDA

View Full Version : Sure feels good when "junk tools" work

Rich Engelhardt
07-18-2013, 7:43 AM
10 years ago I bought a Wagner Paint Crew airless to stain both sides of 300 feet of cedar fence.
It was only $149.00 & from past experience w/Wagner products, I thought it would make it through the fence, but, didn't expect it to last beyond that.

My son surprised me by staining it (the fence) one day while I was at work.

The downside was that is idea of cleanup was to just unplug it (the sprayer) and let it sit in the middle of the yard...

Fortunately, it was an oil based stain that took forever to set up and start drying. Even after a few hours in the heat of a Summer day, I was able to flush the pump/lines/gun clean.

~ 3 years after that, I had to spray some primer on a kitchen ceiling, so, I dragged out the Wagner and figured I'd give it a shot.
Very much to my surprise,,,,it still worked!
I finished up - flushed and cleaned it - and stuck it on the back enclosed porch - where it sat until this past Saturday.

On Saturday, I dragged it out, hooked up the hose and gun & filled the hopper with water.
It took it a bit, but, it started to pump water - much to my delight/surprise.
Just to be safe though, when I stopped by HD to get some more stain, I picked up a low end Graco for $299 - just as "insurance".

My wife and I spent Saturday, part of Sunday, Monday and Tuesday scraping, power washing and wire brushing the fence - plus replacing some pickets the dogs have chewed up.

Yesterday I fired up the Wagner and had at it on the fence. The temperature was in the mid 90's and so was the humidity....
There was also no escaping the direct sun. I could take a break from the sun every so often, but, the sprayer couldn't.

Midway through the first section, the sprayer started making some "unhealthy" noises - like nuts and bolts rattling in a can. (I've repaired enough airless units to know that sound equals only one thing - a bad or failing ball check valve)
I told my wife that I guess we're out of luck and won't be returning the Graco.
Out of morbid curiosity, I decided to just run the Wagner to death.

Good thing because it ran for the rest of the day and was still going strong when I finished the last picket!

So = bottom line is - LOL!
I pretty much broke even @ this point!
An airless rents for ~ $50 for four hours & I got three ~ 4 hour jobs out of my $149 Wagner.
But - what fun would that have been w/out all the suspense?

(sorry this is so long - I'm just killing time before I head out to HD to return the Graco and wanted to semi-gloat about a cheapie tool working out well)

Erik Loza
07-18-2013, 9:53 AM
Some of my most oft-used hand tools are Harbor Freight specials. I have these pliers specifically designed to pull rubber hoses from fittings. Love 'em! My options were HF or Snap-on, at like 5X the price. For the amount of time use them, just could not justify the $$$ for Snap-on. Sure, the HF ones get rusty very easily and look ugly but I still have them after 5 years and they still work great.

To me, the real magic is in knowing where to spend your money on which tool. Sometimes, it makes sense to buy premium. Other times, maybe not.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Kevin Bourque
07-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Those Wagner sprayers will work as long as you spend at least a 1/2 hour cleaning and lubricating them after each use. I painted an entire pole barn a few months back with one. It was fine for a barn, but I would not ever consider using it for anything that required a nice finish.

Don Morris
07-19-2013, 11:11 AM
You go to HF for some things but not others. For example: I don't think I'd buy a torque wrench from HF. There are some things you use a torque wrench on where you need a precision tool. I'm not sure I'd trust HF for precision tools. On the other hand, an open end wrench, that's a horse of a different color. So I buy some things at places like HF and hope for the best. Some things I shell out the $$$ because I don't want to or can't afford to "take the chance".

Jerome Stanek
07-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Yeah I bought a cheap set of wrenches to take with me to the trade shows so if they get lost or stolen I'm not out to much. I find myself grabbing them for everything now.

Matt Meiser
07-19-2013, 1:26 PM
I bet if you bought a new one today though it wouldn't be as good as your 10 year old one.

I bought one of their roller systems 13 years ago. It worked well, but it took longer to clean than any possible timesavings using it. One use and I returned the thing and went back to a standard roller.

Rick Potter
07-19-2013, 5:09 PM
Rich,

I have the same model. I picked it up from a mail order catalog. It was a return, and I paid $99, free freight. I have a pretty good airless for rentals, which quit about halfway through painting the eaves on my remodel. I broke out the Wagner, and finished up half a house of eaves. Months later, I got it out again, and sprayed about 50 door casings. Used it a bit more since then. So far, so good. I haven't even tried to fix the big one. Wish I had bought two.

Be sure to oil the spring ball in the paint intake after cleaning. I loaned out the machine to a relative who cleaned it, but didn't lube the ball. I tested it with water before using it again, it was stuck. Simple cleaning and oil, and it was fine.

Rick Potter

Rich Engelhardt
09-05-2013, 6:21 AM
:(

I should have known better than to brag too soon.

After doing the fence, it appears that was all the Wagner had in it. It let me down yesterday and I had to drop an unexpected $300 on a new low end Graco.

Rick Potter
09-05-2013, 11:45 AM
I looked on CL a while back. Someone had a Wagner Paint Crew in the box, unopened, asking $99. Wonder what I could have gotten it for? Mine still runs, and I never have opened up the big one to find the problem.

Rick Potter

David C. Roseman
09-05-2013, 8:54 PM
:(

I should have known better than to brag too soon.

After doing the fence, it appears that was all the Wagner had in it. It let me down yesterday and I had to drop an unexpected $300 on a new low end Graco.

Once you posted your thread, I guess it figured it's work was done here, and time to retire!

David