PDA

View Full Version : Straight router bit with a small 1/16" radius?

Tony Shea
07-17-2013, 5:25 PM
I have been making my raised panels in the style of James Krenov, something about the design appeals to my eyes. But to make the panels I have been just creating a simple rabbet all around with a sharp corner down inside the reveal between the frame and panel. I've tried making this rabbet with a radiused bottom corner using hand tools but is very time consuming to get right. Why can I not find some other option in creating a rabbet with small radius in the bottom corner? The only router method option I've been able to dream up is to use a small core box bit with a tiny radius and switch out bits to a straight bit to create the rest of the rabbet. A very tedious method and not always an option if I want to create panels that are more than just square edges. Anyone with some kind of advise on how to create this detail in a raised panel please enlighten me or point me to the proper router bit in which I cannot find anywhere. You'd think with the popularity of James Krenov that such a bit would exist similar to Ron Hock producing blades specifically designed to be used in a Krenov style wooden plane. Hopefully my description on what I'm looking for makes sense. That's the best picture of what i mean for a raised panel with a radius in the bottom edge of the rabbet.

(Picture is of Nicholas Nelson's ring box. A very talented craftsman.)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gDxksLU6ifU/UPdJ49JRNWI/AAAAAAAAB5s/mobaWxTsw_I/s320/MG_2292_2.jpg

Richard Coers
07-17-2013, 9:56 PM
For that small of radius, I'd use a diamond file and break the edge yourself. Can't change the balance that much between the two carbides. A little inaccuracy between the two carbides won't show because of the rpm.

Jamie Buxton
07-17-2013, 10:13 PM
I've made that Krenov detail with a router bit generally called a dish cutter. Here's some -- http://www.freudtools.com/p-181-dish-carving-bits.aspx
This bit gives you the rounded corner, and also makes the straight tongue to fit into the dado -- unlike a box core bit.

I've used this method on full-scale furniture, not the miniature version you're showing. But maybe if you search with that name you can find the small radius you need.

Jeff Duncan
07-18-2013, 10:17 AM
If your making enough of them that swapping out bits is too time consuming you can always have the bit you need made! Many companies out there can make a bit to your specs.

good luck,
JeffD