PDA

View Full Version : Lumberyard yard / sawmill in Washington DC area

Huan Feng
07-17-2013, 4:00 PM
Hi everyone. I want to build a country style dining room table and has been looking for lumbers in the Washington, DC area. Can anyone recommend some good local lumberyards within a 50 miles radius?

I want to buy either alder, maple, or anything soft in the hardwood family. My tabletop will be 1 1/4 inches thick and the legs will be 3 1/2 inches thick.

I visited Smoot Lumber in Alexandria, VA and Colonial Hardwoods in Springfield, VA but their prices are really high. I would have to spend $600+ for just the lumbers.

Has anyone been to Hardwoods, Inc in Frederick, MD? hardwoodsincorporated.com

Thanks for the help.

- Huan Feng

Paul Saffold
07-17-2013, 4:42 PM
I've heard very positive comments about http://www.herbinehardwood.com, but I haven't used them yet. They are just north of Leesburg, VA.

www.localwoodva.com is in Berryville, VA. Probably too far for you.

Jerry Cappeller
07-17-2013, 5:53 PM
C.P. Johnson Lumber in Culpeper is a good source and increasing his supply of hardwood choices continually. Chris is a great guy and has some good bargains. Here's a link to his web site: http://cpjohnsonlumber.com/

He's located right near the airport in Culpeper.

francis gunde
07-17-2013, 6:43 PM
I usually go to Exotic Lumber. They have locations in Annapolis and Gaithersberg.

Prashun Patel
07-17-2013, 7:01 PM
Huan-

Let's analyze this a little more.

The price of $600 included what exactly? How many bf, and what thickness and width of boards.

If you are willing to glue up your legs and can do everything from 4/4 then you might save some $$.

Also, what kind of wood was that price for? Consider also birch or poplar. Soft maple can be quite economical, but is ironically not that soft.

Jacob Reverb
07-17-2013, 7:49 PM
Vienna Hardwoods in Vienna, VA. They have prices online.

http://www.viennahardwood.com/products.html

Don Morris
07-17-2013, 9:37 PM
Another source is Northland Forrest products in Manassas, VA: 703 393-7500. Another source (though I've never used them, picked up a brochure at a wood show) is Dunlap woodcrafts in Chantilly: www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com. One more, if you don't mind traveling a little: Hicksville Planing Mill, in Clear Spring, MD had some good prices a couple years ago. Haven't checked lately: 301 842-3474.

Stephen Cherry
07-17-2013, 9:41 PM
Exotic lumber, and hardwoods inc are both OK. They both have prices posted online and have a good selection. People also talk about Hicksville planing, but I have never been there.

Paul Saffold
07-17-2013, 9:46 PM
It has been a few years since I was at the Hicksville Planing mill. At that time they did not take credit cards. Cash or check. Nice people to work with.

Scott T Smith
07-17-2013, 11:40 PM
There is a great, farm based lumberyard located outside of Suffolk, VA called SR Hardwoods. Chris has a lot of extraordinary curly maple and cherry, as well as a plethora of exotics at very reasonable prices. Send me an e-mail if you would like his contact info; I highly recommend him.

Alden Miller
07-18-2013, 12:30 PM
I'll give another plug for Hicksville Planing Mill. Excellent selection, great prices, nice people. Cash or check only, no cursing or you will get kicked out... Restack the wood piles you dig through and don't drool too much.

All of their lumber is rough sawn but you can get it surfaced three sides while you wait.

Closed on Thursday and Sunday and at noon on Saturday. If you call let it ring, they don't use answering machines and are always busy.

-Alden

john davey
07-18-2013, 2:47 PM
I have been to Exotic lumber in Gaithersburg and liked their selection. I went during a Lie-Nielsen show and plan to go back as the prices were not outrageous for this area. Probably higher than others pay but that is how it works around DC. If you are making a large purchase head up to Hearne Hardwoods just over the PA line.Amazing place but Exotic Lumbers prices are close enough that the trip isn't worth it unless you really want something different or large quantity.

Eric DeSilva
07-18-2013, 3:20 PM
I'm in Arlington, and my lumberyard of choice is Northland Forest Products in Manassas. Not to far out of the way and nice folks. Vienna Hardwoods is closer, but NFP has better prices. I've heard good things about Hicksville planing, but never been.

David Hawxhurst
07-18-2013, 5:38 PM
i get most of my domestics from maple ridge lumber (powhatan), he generally has better prices than most. but after you figure your time and fuel the cost savings may become a wash.

Jim Matthews
07-19-2013, 8:00 AM
I think you're on the right track, here.

It might be helpful to know what the OP's skill set contains,
the design and total number of board feet required for the project.

A top requiring boards (dressed) to 5/4 would start at 6/4 minimum.
Figuring 36" wide and 6 feet long, that's more than 30 board feet just for the top.

Even at $3 bf we're already up to $90 and that's not for "pretty" boards.
Professional lumber yards can be an excellent resource if you come on off days
and are willing to buy from a lift of extras and over runs.

If you want premium quality for a home project, you're in competition with the larger
cabinet and millwork shops that wouldn't blink at $600 for an order.

If this is a starter project, a local sawyer, arborist or retiring hobbyist (try Craigslist - search "lumber" "cherry", etc.) will be less expensive.

http://www.woodfinder.com/

Roger Feeley
07-19-2013, 8:02 PM
I've been lurking on this thread and I have to say thanks to all who posted. I will be moving from Kansas City to the DC area in the next couple of years and I feel a whole lot better knowing of all these resources.

What about clubs and stores? I'm used to having a Woodcraft and a Rockler within 10 minutes.

john davey
07-20-2013, 10:39 AM
There are a few woodcraft stores in the area. The one in Rockville MD has a club in the rear that has a well equipped shop

James Conrad
07-20-2013, 12:02 PM
I lived in Gaithersburg recently and found Exotic Lumber to have a great selection of just about anything you want, and good staff, their other location in Annapolis is good as well. I've been to Hardwoods in Frederick, they have an ok selection, are higher priced and I didn't think it was worth the trip.

Mark Patoka
07-22-2013, 10:32 AM
I use Northland Forest Products in Manassas also. I was told they also supply some of the lumber sold at the Springfield Woodcraft. It's been a few years since I've been to Colonial Hardwoods but their prices were much higher though you may be able to find a few more exotics and veneering materials. Haven't tried any of the other places mentioned.

Huan Feng
08-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Hello everyone. I meant all of you woodworking guys. I want to first thank everyone for your information. Thank you and thank you for all the tips.

I didn't forget about this post. Sorry I have been really busy with work and family. I have bookmarked all of your suggested lumberyards so I can visit them in the future.

I ended up buying my lumbers from MARYLAND SELECT HARDWOODS (7470 Mason Springs Road, La Plata, MD 20646). A friend of a friend recommended it. Dennis the owner is an one man operation and he sells all kinds of lumbers from his small farm. Check it out at http://maryland-select.com/. He was really patient in helping me picking the type of woods.

Here is what I purchased:

- 5/4 Sapele boards for the table top, 1" thick after smoothing it w/ my DeWalt planner (Yes, I bought a new one from Lowe's). Joining is next.
- 4/4 Sapele boards for the aprons, 3/4" or 5/8" thick after smoothing. To be smooth last.
- 12/4 African Mahogany legs, 3" x 3" after smoothing. Just bought a 3/4" router bit from Home Depot. Routing the mortise is next.

I really like the African Mahogany b/c it weights much less. The Sapele is really heavy. I think my table (40" x 84") will be a heavy one.

Guys - Are the legs too skinny at 3" x 3"? I really don't want to glue join them for a 4+" thick.

Here is the farmhouse table I am building (http://www.potterybarn.com/products/brayden-rectangular-extending-dining-table/?pkey=e%7Cbrayden%7C2%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-)268464268465268466

The next two pictures are the actual lumbers I bought. They were taken the day I bought them. As you can see, the tabletop and legs & the aprons and stretchers.

I welcome your comments and suggestions.

- Huan

Andrew Hughes
08-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Hi,Huan my thoughts are if you really like the look of the pottery barn table try to match the proportions as close as you can,maybe even take a drive to a store if they have one on the floor and take some measurements.
It really make a difference and sometime the jointery can benefit from proportions.
Sometimes I will build mockup piece out of popler or make a full size drawing before I start cutting my expensive wood.Andrew

Huan Feng
08-15-2013, 3:50 PM
Hi Prashun - Pottery Barn is selling the table for $1400 to $1800. We only bough the chairs--All 6 of them. The chairs were very $$$ already. :-)

Huan Feng
08-15-2013, 3:55 PM
Hi Andrew. I did that. I am copying everything except the legs. Pottery Barn legs are 4-3/4 inches. How can I buy such lumber? Instead my legs will be 3 inches by 3 inches.

Are the legs too skinny at 3" x 3"? Will the engineering structural at such hold up? I really don't want to glue join them for a 4+" thick.

Andrew Hughes
08-15-2013, 5:16 PM
3 inch look to skinny to me,ask your lumber guy is he has some 6/4 mah and add to the sides of the legs,African mah is not to hard to machine and glues nicely.It is a big table so big legs are called for.Andrew

Jim Matthews
08-15-2013, 5:27 PM
The strength in the structure comes from the arpon, stretchers and legs tied together.
Farm tables are notorious for racking as owners drag them across the floor (they can be heavy) and the legs act as levers against their fixation point.

A stout leg brace (http://www.woodcraft.com/PRODUCT/2001069/10357/HAFELE-CORNER-BRACE-TABLE-LEG.ASPX?refcode=10INGOPB&gclid=CJDfxMCwgLkCFY2Z4AodXnkAug) at each corner will help, but it is only as strong as the joint where connected.

The top itself must be permitted to move across the width of the boards with seasonal changes.

Two cautions are in order with your choice of materials -
Sapele can be difficult to plane, as the grain direction is not constant.

Some people have allergic reactions to the dust raised in handling African and South American hardwoods like these.
Some of these species (Sapele included) have developed a natural resistance to insects and that translates into respiratory distress
for some who breathe the dust which bears these allergens.

Wear a mask when sanding or planing this stuff.
Do it out doors, if you can.

Don't raise dust in the same space as your kids. Using a random-orbit sander?
Connect it to a vacuum and be careful about disposing of the captured dust.
(If it's your basement - it will get into the airspace of the house.)

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/