PDA

View Full Version : Wood blanks that look like slices of a log

Scott Shepherd
07-17-2013, 8:33 AM
Greetings all, I have a customer request to do some engraving on wood blanks that look like slices of logs with the bark still on the edges. We've all seen them over the years, but I have no idea where to get them. The customer actually sent me link to laserbits, but every time I enter their site this morning, it just freezes and it's displaying some really odd index page that looks like jibberish to me.

Anyone have a source for pre-finished log slice blanks? Something like 8"-10" in width?

Thanks in advance!

Scott Challoner
07-17-2013, 9:52 AM
I had a customer supply me some of those last year to make placeholders for his wedding. I think he got them from Etsy but I'm not sure. These were about 4" across with varying quality but they worked.

Khalid Nazim
07-17-2013, 9:56 AM
These blanks are called live edge/living edge blanks. You can get them at your local lumber store.

Mike Null
07-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Steve

I would post in the classified as I'm sure there are a lot of guys there who could help out.

Prashun Patel
07-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Go to the Turner's Forum, and ask if anyone has a log they'll part with.

The only caveat is 'green' logs will want to split about the pith when cut that way unless carefully dried.

Tony Lenkic
07-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Scott,

I purchased some of basswood slices like you described at local Walmart store. Give them a try.

Jeff Belany
07-17-2013, 10:54 AM
I have bought them but don't remember where. Google Basswood plaques and got a few. Try:

wwwDOTstuff4paintingDOTcom

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Bruce Page
07-17-2013, 11:06 AM
I’m almost positive that I have seen them at Hobby Lobby, if you have one nearby.

Steve Busey
07-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Just saw some basswood in our local Michaels store last week.

Google "basswood country round" for some other sources

Darren Hollinrake
07-17-2013, 7:52 PM
Michaels and Amazon both sell the "Basswood Country Rounds" (Also available as planks) by Walnut Hollow. You can also get them from walnut hollow's website direct.

Scott Shepherd
07-17-2013, 7:53 PM
Thanks everyone, I've gotten enough tips from this to quote the job, it's been quoted and we're waiting on the PO (only person quoting it!).

Thanks!

Doug Novic
07-19-2013, 7:17 PM
The supplier to all is Walnut Hollow http://www.walnuthollow DOT com/store/items/basswood-country-round-/