PDA

View Full Version : Chinese laser controller & Lasercut USERS

Vicki Rivrud
07-16-2013, 10:09 PM
This is a perplexing problem we are trying to solve. Perhaps a user here may have an answer or idea.

I've sent this question to Leetro but haven't received an answer!

Here is an example of the problem

In Corel or Rhino/AutoCAD - draw a line, then using the Outline pen - change your line to hairline and select a dash line Line Style ( Corel (line style) or Rhino (linetype) )

You now have the dash line instead of a solid line.

Export the file as a dxf - import into Lasercut

In Lasercut - The drawing is a solid line.

I think it has something to do with the fact that the "new" dash type is a new layer or overlay and Lasercut can not see it (the dashes) and only sees the solid "first drawn" line.

This is the same problem with hatchfills that disappear when imported into Lasercut as well as only "hairline" line width.

The only work around I have found is to make a copy (so you have 2 copies on the screen) "trace" one (the dashes or hatch fill) and then add back into the first drawing ( which is now the container) weld together and then export.

Lots o work - thinking someone here might have a solution . . . Thanks

Vicki

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-17-2013, 1:17 AM
I don't have Lasercut to experiment with this, but what about converting the line to an object and then exporting it as a dxf?

Dennis Watson
07-17-2013, 6:51 AM
The solution I found is, just draw little short lines.

Vicki Rivrud
07-17-2013, 8:26 AM
I don't have Lasercut to experiment with this, but what about converting the line to an object and then exporting it as a dxf?

Hi Mike,
Tried that too . . . didn't help. But thanks for the reply;)
Vicki

Vicki Rivrud
07-17-2013, 8:29 AM
The solution I found is, just draw little short lines.
Hi Dennis,
Yuppp! I do that too . . . I am a moderator at another forum and I keep getting this question, day in - day out.

I was hoping some of the pro's here might have stumbled on a solution or verified it as a known.

Thanks for the reply
:)
Vicki

Dave Sheldrake
07-17-2013, 8:30 AM
Hatch patterns are text file xrefs, LaserCUT won't process then, neither does it accept linetype properties.

cheers

Dave

John Bion
07-17-2013, 9:18 AM
Hatch patterns are text file xrefs, LaserCUT won't process then, neither does it accept linetype properties.

cheers

Dave

Vicki/Dave,
I have gained from both of you over forums and thank you for that, but I am not sure whether to take heart or be discouraged by 'long timers' having the same problems I am as a newbie!
This is a very annoying/frustrating fact that is not sufficiently well known by prospective Chinese laser buyers. I have thumped up hard against this, had I known about the difficulties/limitations of LaserCut I may have sucked my pencil for a bit longer before making my purchasing decisions. Vector cutting is OK but the 'engraving' leaves much to be desired. mmm I can see a CNC router having to be planned in!
Kind Regards, John

Dennis Watson
07-17-2013, 5:13 PM
Yea, its a pain to draw a bunch of little lines, but its the only way I see to do dashed in LC. I just draw a single line in Illustrator then copy paste it to make long dashed lines like I did for folds in cardboard boxes.

George M. Perzel
07-17-2013, 5:58 PM
Hi All;
I'm not familiar with Lasercut but thought it was very similar to Laserworks-which has a dotted line mode which you can set the length of the dash and the space.
Something similar in Lasercut??
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Vicki Rivrud
07-17-2013, 7:09 PM
Hi George,
Wish it did. There is a "HOLE" function which I have used in place of making dashes but sometimes you just need the dash line or hatch fills.

I keep after Leetro for improvements but The ox is slow but the earth is patient as they say.

Lasercut does many things but it doesn't do everything - a trade off for the price difference between domestic & foreign.

Thanks for your reply,
Vicki

Vicki Rivrud
07-17-2013, 7:15 PM
Hiya John,

Don't get me wrong, I love my Chinese laser even though Lasercut has been a bit limited. I am still able to create and make some amazing items. I surprise myself sometimes at how many unique items I have accomplished for ourself and customers & artisans.

For the price difference between Domestic and Foreign, we were able to get into the hobby which is now a business.

With that said, I am looking at replacing the controller - either with the improved Leetro coming out sometime soon or with perhaps the one Marco at lightobjects has but it has some limitations as well.

The dash and linetypes I have been able to work around and it isn't a huge part of what I do. But I would like to find a better solution. We also have a CNC Router and that in itself is a whole different kettle of fish.

All the best,
Vicki

Vicki Rivrud
07-17-2013, 7:20 PM
Hi Dave,
You know I have to ask - BUT WHY?

Hatch patterns are text file xrefs - can you explain a bit more?

Thanks for your help, as always,
Vix

Rich Harman
07-17-2013, 10:41 PM
In CorelDraw you can use the eraser tool to turn a line into dashes. You may have to use the edit node tool and break apart first so that it is not a closed shape.

Vicki Rivrud
07-18-2013, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the reply Rich, I was hoping that there was a reason that could be identified but I will pass along your suggestion.

It was also suggested that I try the "explode" command in the CAD software so I'll try tomorrow.

Best regards,
Vicki

John Bion
07-18-2013, 5:36 AM
Hi Vicki,
"Don't get me wrong, I love my Chinese laser even though Lasercut has been a bit limited".
I agree, I think that the Chinese lasers are great too, but if I had known the LaserCut limitations I would not have purchased a smaller machine just for the engraving work I desired to do, I would rather have another larger machine for cutting or a CNC Router. But as far as cost goes, they are fantastic value:) I really desired to use hatch/Postscript fills etc.
Kind Regards, John

Ernie Balch
07-18-2013, 8:15 AM
Making dashed lines.

Here is an idea to try. Make your vector drawing in Corel, then create an array of squares or circles on top of it using the step and repeat tool. Select everything and do a back minus front operation. This will knock out holes in the vector drawing and might work with laser cut. You might have to break the curve apart, I have not tried it with laser cut.

ernie

Vicki Rivrud
07-19-2013, 9:15 AM
Thanks Ernie, seems like a good work around in Corel and I will post it at the Chinese Support Forum.

Juno at Leetro has notified me that he is leaving . . . so I will take this back up with Andy as Leetro goes through some changes.

I did receive this from Ray Scott, just wish I could better understand the "why" other than just having to accept that it doesn't work for Lasercut. I have been able to resolve a few bugs in Lasercut but not this one.

AutoCad sees the line-type as a pattern that is applied to the line. Some programs, such as LaserCut, do not recognize the patterns. The line is interpreted as solid. You might be able to "explode" the line prior to exporting the data from AutoCad.

Thank you,
Ray Scott Owner/Engineer RabbitLaserUSA.com--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm going to try this in Rhino and see if this might be an easier way to handle the problem.

All the best,
Vicki

Dave Sheldrake
07-19-2013, 9:32 AM
Simple way to look at it is linetypes

AutoCAD / Rhino etc have Linetype function, it doesn't actually change the line properties it just changes the way it is displayed

ACAD: User has drawn a line = display line

ACAD: User has requested dashed line, look at reference table for what dashed line is, display line according to table

LaserCUT doesn't have the line table to reference so it sees it just as a single unbroken line of default width (because without the table to refer to, that's all it is)

A hatch pattern is defined in the external file Acad.PAT it is just a series of positional instructions nothing more. LaserCUT has no idea how to read it, ergo it won't work in LaserCUT.

A quick Hatch pattern that will display as English bond brick courses with mortar

*AR-BRELM, standard brick elevation english bond with mortar joints
0, 0, 0, 0, 135.484, 193.675, -9.525
0, 0, 57.15, 0, 135.484, 193.675, -9.525
0, 50.8, 67.7418, 0, 135.484, 92.075, -9.525
0, 50.8, 124.892, 0, 135.484, 92.075, -9.525
90, 0, 0, 0, 203.2, 57.15, -78.334
90, -9.525, 0, 0, 203.2, 57.15, -78.334
90, 50.8, 67.7418, 0, 101.6, 57.15, -78.334
90, 41.275, 67.7418, 0, 101.6, 57.15, -78.334

If you select the hatch then explode it, it will convert to individual lines and will work fine in LC.

best wishes

Dave

Vicki Rivrud
07-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks a bunch Dave,

I do appreciate the explanation.

All the best,
Vix

Dave Sheldrake
07-19-2013, 11:56 AM
No worries Vix :)

Doug Novic
07-19-2013, 6:54 PM
Hi Vicky,

The programming sequence for hatch style is actualy strings of text. CAD software reads them but CAM software cannot. If you draw a hatch, explode it while in the CAD software and LaserCut reads it fine. I have also exploded dashed and dotted lines and that seems to work. The CAD software doesn't acknowledge that the line is exploded but at times it works. I use AutoCAD. I found out that Corel does crazy stuff with lines and they are all not on the same Z axis for some reason. Makes a mess out of a good dxf file.