PDA

View Full Version : Old School repair question

Bruce Volden
07-16-2013, 4:16 PM
No not "old school". I work in an old school. Today, while installing a 22' X 40" sheet of aluminum (white board coating on one side, adhesive foam on the other) over the original slate chalk board sections the frame of the original slate failed resulting in a bent up ruined mess for the "white board".

Had to remove the whole works and am now faced with a mess!!! First off this is old orange clay tile used in the construction--covered with plaster. No wood/studs to fasten anything to. Also we are not talking about anything being even from the finished face of the wall to the clay tile.

I am thinking of repairing with 1/2" plywood held on by PL400 (or something better) in areas that can be attached to.

Could I also used foam sealant (large gap filling type) to get a more uniform bond??? HELP

Bruce

Bill ThompsonNM
07-19-2013, 5:05 AM
would try a diamond drill to put a hole through the plaster and into the tile. Then epoxy in some bolts and attach plywood strips or sheets to attach the board too. That old tile is both tough and fragile, regular masonry bits make a mess but you can get diamond abrasive drills at the big home supply stores that will put 1/4 inch holes in it.

Bruce Volden
07-19-2013, 9:15 AM
Thank you Bill for replying! Hadn't thought of the diamond bit route but am well aware of the fragility and toughness of the clay tile (tried hammer drilling with mason bit--big mess).

Any thoughts on using a large gap filling polyurethane for a uniform bond in the areas of deeper cavities? I'm thinking this route because it would keep the plywood from "pulling in" when anchoring the screws.

Bruce

Bill ThompsonNM
07-19-2013, 7:42 PM
might work but some of the foams are stiffer than others. Best experiment a bit. Good luck!