PDA

View Full Version : Bent my arbor wrench G1023

Shawn Siegrist
07-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Does anyone know what size the arbor wrench is for a G1023 tablesaw? I bent the open ended wrench for the shaft.

Thanks,
Shawn

Paul Stoops
07-16-2013, 12:31 PM
I don't know the answer to your question, but it would seem that you have W-A-Y overtightened your arbor nut. Over the years I have discovered that simply holding the blade between my thumb and finger and tightening the nut is sufficient to prevent slippage. When you have found a new wrench and a long enough piece of pipe to extend the handle to loosen the nut, you might try this method................. :-)

Shawn Siegrist
07-16-2013, 1:26 PM
I finger tighten the nut and then snug it up maybe another quarter turn with a wrench.

This time I went to loosen the nut and as I started to exert pressure on the wrench I could feel it bending, I don't remember dropping it but who knows.

Larry Browning
07-16-2013, 2:54 PM
I have a G1023, but the wrench is not open ended. It has 2 sizes, I have yet to figure out what the larger size fits???? I will check the size this evening if someone else has not already answered you question.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2013, 3:04 PM
A quick check of the G0123 parts list indicates the wrench is "12x14" which I suspect is in "mm".......

Larry Browning
07-16-2013, 3:27 PM
There is an almost identical thread HERE (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?205551-Arbor-wrench)
That one seems to indicate that it is a 22mm
BTW: Am I the only 1023 owner with a box end factory arbor wrench?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2013, 3:38 PM
Yes Larry, a similar thread....and here's the thing...

As stated in that other thread........there typically is no need to over tighten an arbor nut holding on a saw blade.

Typically...the direction of revolution of the arbor is such that it is trying to tighten or spin into the threads of the nut. As long as the blade doesn't slow down too fast (should the motor have a brake, for example), it should not cause the arbor nut to loosen or come off.

Looking at the manual for the G0123.....it specifically states "Do not over tighten arbor nut".......

I have, however, been guilty of over tightening the arbor nut.:o

Shawn Siegrist
07-16-2013, 4:26 PM
My saw came with two wrenches, one is open and that goes on the shaft to the left of the saw blade, the second is a box wrench and that is for the arbor nut.

I bent the open ended wrench.

Chris Padilla
07-16-2013, 4:32 PM
I use a 7/8" box-end wrench on the arbor nut on my G1023Z. You do not have to tighten the arbor nut very much: "overly snug" has worked fine for me for years.

Larry Browning
07-16-2013, 4:50 PM
My saw came with two wrenches, one is open and that goes on the shaft to the left of the saw blade, the second is a box wrench and that is for the arbor nut.

Hmm. If mine came with 2 wrenches, I have lost the open ended one. Why would you even need the second wrench? I use a piece of scrap wood to hold the blade while loosening the arbor nut and I hold the blade with a shop rag or just my fingers to tighten.

Chris Padilla
07-16-2013, 4:57 PM
Larry,

Take a look at the arbor without the arbor nut, washer or saw blade installed. There should be a flange there with a couple of flat spots ground in. A larger wrench can be placed there.

Larry Browning
07-16-2013, 5:39 PM
Larry,

Take a look at the arbor without the arbor nut, washer or saw blade installed. There should be a flange there with a couple of flat spots ground in. A larger wrench can be placed there.
OK, but my question still remains. Why would I need that to tighten or loosen my arbor nut?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-16-2013, 5:55 PM
Larry....the arbor nut Chris is talking about is the one that holds the blade on.

There is a 2nd nut that remains on the arbor and is considered part of the arbor. That is where the 2nd wrench would be used to hold the arbor while you remove the nut that secures the blade on.

My Ridgid table came with two arbor wrenches. Both are the same size and used interchangeably.

Rick Moyer
07-16-2013, 6:22 PM
My 0691 came with two wrenches, four sizes. I have never used the other two sizes yet but the arbor itself is 24mm and the nut is 27mm. The arbor has two flat sides for the wrench. I would rather use the wrench than hold a sharp blade, rag or glove notwithstanding.

David C. Roseman
07-17-2013, 3:24 PM

Shawn, I'm a bit puzzled by this. Is your saw a G1023, or one of the G1023RL models that replaced it in favor of a left-tilt arbor? The G1023 is right-tilt, and the arbor nut is on the left of the blade. The arbor itself, with two flats for an open-end wrench, is on the right, with the motor. I've had mine for 20+ years. If yours is indeed a G1023, the arbor flats take a 22mm wrench, but a 7/8" fits nicely also. But I'm with Larry on this. I've always just used the box wrench and a scrap of wood, or a wooden push stick, to jam the teeth of the blade to tighten or loosen the nut. It's actually safer, IMO, than trying to fit a wrench down alongside the sharp teeth onto the arbor flats. As has been said, tightening requires very little force, as the nut self-tightens with the blade rotation.

David

Phil Thien
07-17-2013, 3:49 PM
I used to employ a piece of scrap for tightening or loosening a blade on my old Crapsman contractor's saw, but I like the two-wrench method of my BT3K more.

Jacob Reverb
07-17-2013, 4:40 PM
Here, this may help in the future:

http://www.ketools.com/ke_images/CI-20_300px.jpg

Another way to ensure the nut doesn't come loose is to weld everything together to the arbor, but that's not recommended, as it might warp the blade plate. http://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/dizzy.gif

Cody Colston
07-17-2013, 5:20 PM
My 1023SLX came with two wrenches, an open-end wrench for the flat on the arbor shaft and a box-end wrench for the arbor nut. I, too, haven't figured out what the large end of the box-end wrench fits. I also bent the open-end wrench jaws. The wrenches are merely stamped steel and those open-end jaws will spread apart pretty easily. I give the arbor nut an additional 1/4 turn after hand tightening.

Larry Browning
07-17-2013, 5:55 PM
My 0691 came with two wrenches, four sizes. I have never used the other two sizes yet but the arbor itself is 24mm and the nut is 27mm. The arbor has two flat sides for the wrench. I would rather use the wrench than hold a sharp blade, rag or glove notwithstanding.
My opinion is that using the 2 wrenches too easily allows for over tightening. By using a rag to hold the blade it is next to impossible to over tighten. I guess since I lost my other wrench, that's about my only option anyway;) (short of spending money on something I didn't know I needed in the first place)

ray hampton
07-17-2013, 7:12 PM
My 1023SLX came with two wrenches, an open-end wrench for the flat on the arbor shaft and a box-end wrench for the arbor nut. I, too, haven't figured out what the large end of the box-end wrench fits. I also bent the open-end wrench jaws. The wrenches are merely stamped steel and those open-end jaws will spread apart pretty easily. I give the arbor nut an additional 1/4 turn after hand tightening.

the problem is that you tighten them too-tight with your hand, DO they made a torque wrench for saws ?

Jacob Reverb
07-17-2013, 7:31 PM
the problem is that you tighten them too-tight with your hand, DO they made a torque wrench for saws ?

Well, nobody makes one accurate to .00001 Angstrom-nanonewtons yet, but I hear the people who make $300 framing squares are working on it!

Maybe the fact that the OEM wrench is made of 32-gauge pot metal is a clue that you're not supposed to put a 14-foot breaker bar on it.

David Kuzdrall
07-18-2013, 3:09 AM
Does anyone know what size the arbor wrench is for a G1023 tablesaw? I bent the open ended wrench for the shaft.

Thanks,
Shawn

Been there, done that while replacing the arbor shaft. I just ordered a new one from Grizzly and had it 2-days later.