PDA

View Full Version : Great concrete paint

Jeff Monson
07-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Just thought I'd throw out my experience with Ucoat concrete paint products, I'm in no way affiliated with them, just a really happy customer.

4 years ago, I did my workshop floor with their basic grey kit. It consisted of a muratic acid wash, followed by 2 coats of grey. I have been very happy
with the performance of the product, it has not chipped or peeled in any area. My only disappointment was that it would stain from wood glue and wood stain.

I decided this spring to do the rest of my garage with Ucoat, I ordered the automotive formula, with the clear af topcoat and flek kit. I have had it in my garage for about a month now. The ease up cleanup and appearance are outstanding. If the durability is similar to that of the basic product I had in my woodshop I will be thrilled. The thing I like best about the application of Ucoat is, it goes on a damp floor. After doing an acid wash, and a rinse, you can apply the 1st coat, no drying. The 2nd coat is ready to be applied in about 6 hours, followed by the clearcoat. I was walking on the floor within 18 hours of my initial coat, I left the vehicle traffic off for 3 days.

So after staring at my garage for a few weeks, I decided to do the same finish in my workshop, the grey still looked ok but was really stained up. All I had to do being the floor was already coated in Ucoat, was to scuff the surface and sweep it. This was a really quick process, moving my machinery took the longest.

I decided to take some photo's and do a little testing last night. Still concerned that glue and stain would penetrate the product, I decided to try it out 1st hand to see what would happen.

I tried stain first, it wiped right off.

So I thought, lets try some India Ink, that should be the ultimate test

That wiped off also, took a little longer but no staining.

Here is my workshop floor

Garage floor

I know this subject gets brought up a lot, so hopefully someone will find this useful when trying to decide on a product for concrete paint.

Eric DeSilva
07-16-2013, 1:15 PM
Looks interesting; my shop is a basement with a concrete floor. To do something like this, I'd have to move things to one side, do that side, then move everything to the other side, and do it in parts. From your experience with the product, do you think you would end up with an obvious line?

bobby milam
07-16-2013, 1:28 PM
My garage floor was painted when I moved in and is in need of it again. The bad thing about it is it is really slick when it gets wet. So bad it is dangerous. What is this stuff like?

Jeff Monson
07-16-2013, 1:47 PM
Looks interesting; my shop is a basement with a concrete floor. To do something like this, I'd have to move things to one side, do that side, then move everything to the other side, and do it in parts. From your experience with the product, do you think you would end up with an obvious line?

No, if you feather in the base and clear you should not end up with a line. I have an overhead door that separates my workshop from the garage, I just rolled over the line with the clear and it blends nicely.

My garage floor was painted when I moved in and is in need of it again. The bad thing about it is it is really slick when it gets wet. So bad it is dangerous. What is this stuff like?

The fleks create small bumps in the finish, so it is not slippery with water. I'm not sure what snow will be like. The product does come with a container of slip additive. I did not add any to this job, I used it on a rustoleum floor I did several years ago and found it difficult to clean with this added. Sure was grippy though.

Jim Neeley
07-16-2013, 2:51 PM
Is it slippery with sawdust on it? It looks like it would be, without anti-slip.

Mark Furjanic
07-16-2013, 4:12 PM
That looks awesome and I so want to do my garage but I've been too afraid of it lifting and peeling. I'm brave enough to use it in my shop though, how bad is the odor when you put it down? Is it something that could be done in a basement?

Mike Goetzke
07-16-2013, 5:15 PM
Looks great! Where did you purchase it from and how was the coverage?

Thanks

Jeff Monson
07-16-2013, 5:42 PM
That looks awesome and I so want to do my garage but I've been too afraid of it lifting and peeling. I'm brave enough to use it in my shop though, how bad is the odor when you put it down? Is it something that could be done in a basement?

The color, or base coats are water based epoxy, so odor is very low. You can do just a basic kit which is just that, so you wont deal with much odor. The clear coat is also epoxy base, but has a high odor. If well ventilated its not too bad, but you would smell it for a few days.

Looks great! Where did you purchase it from and how was the coverage?

Thanks

Mike you can go to http://www.ucoatit.com/2011web/main.htm for info. I have had best luck by calling for info. and following along on the site to understand the products. Great customer service. Coverage is good, I always had extra product so its as advertised.

Jeff Monson
07-16-2013, 5:51 PM
Is it slippery with sawdust on it? It looks like it would be, without anti-slip.

Jim, I have not had a chance to make any dust yet, so the jury is out on that one. I'm hoping it wont be, as it has good grip right now, but I will follow up on that one. I will wait a couple days before putting my machines back in place, I just painted it on Sunday evening and Monday morning.

Joseph Tarantino
07-16-2013, 6:27 PM
think it's possible to use that product if one can't just rinse the acid wash out the garage door?

bobby milam
07-16-2013, 10:10 PM
think it's possible to use that product if one can't just rinse the acid wash out the garage door?

I saw this on their site.

Is an acid wash necessary? Yes. When applying UCoat It to a cement surface, an acid wash is necessary to neutralize the alkalynity of the surface and lower pH levels for acceptance of the epoxy. We specifically recommend a wash using UPrep-CLC (http://www.ucoatit.com/shop/uprep-clc.asp) or a mixture of 10% muriatic acid mixed with water and applied to the surface using a bucket and push broom. See UCoat Instructions for full details. Always rinse thoroughly with fresh water and never let the acid solution "dry" on the surface which can cause powdering. The acid wash should be performed within 48 hours, preferably immediately before, coating.
Should I "clean" the floor with acid? No. Unlike the acid wash which is described above, using a stronger solution for cleaning or etching is not recommended because it can damage your cement causing the surface to become porous or brittle. All cleaning should be done using a degreaser or quality detergent mixed with water and agitated with a stiff-bristle broom or brush.

Chris Padilla
07-19-2013, 3:56 PM
All the guys on the BMW Forum I help moderate rave about Ucoatit's paint product. It is supposed to not take up hot tire marks as well and they all back the claim. I wish I would have used this product on my floors when I painted it but oh well...the stuff I used is doing okay.

Chris Padilla
07-19-2013, 4:02 PM
Oh, funny story. On the day I painted my garage floor, there was a block, garage sale going on unbeknownst to me nearby and I kept having people walking up to my driveway looking at all my ww'ing equipment and asking for prices! I finally had to scribble some words on a piece of cardboard I tacked to a sawhorse to keep them away!