PDA

View Full Version : D8 restoration project

Jim Paulson
07-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Hi,

I acquired a D8 with thumbhole (finally) yesterday:) and can't wait to restore it and use it. As you can see it has plenty of saw plate. Here are some pics before I start working on it. This saw has a neat grip and it will be cool to use it to rip some boards.

Thanks for looking.

Jim

Mike Holbrook
07-16-2013, 11:46 AM
Nice Saw Jim! I am about to use my D8 thumbhole 5.5 ppi to cut a few 2x4's for a small construction project at my work location. I have a D-8 6ppi, in a little better condition, at the house in the shop. The thumbholes are nice for serious two hand cutting. Planing to do a little sharpening on them later today.

Jim Paulson
07-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks Mike. It was a real kick finding this in an antique store. I couldn't pass it up for $12, since I've already repaired broken horns. I can see that this might be a good user tool for me as well. I like that idea of two handed sawing depending on the wood and how much rip cutting you're doing. Great to hear from you. The D8's with thumb holes that I've seen before this had far less saw plate. It makes sense that folks made this saws work.

Mike Holbrook
07-16-2013, 1:53 PM
I think your D8 is in a little better condition than mine, or will be when you restore it. I got mine at a good price too. The plate on mine has plenty of room but there is a funky little curve in the tooth line that I think turned other bidders off. Maybe I can post pictures later when I sharpen a few tonight. Mine has a repaired top horn, another similarity to your saw. I want to sharpen both thumbhole saws and a HM Meier, 6ppi XX, with 7" wide plate at base. That should prepare me for about any kind of rough sawing I need to do.