PDA

View Full Version : Dinning Table by suppertime?

steven c newman
07-16-2013, 9:42 AM
Let's see, I had a free from a yard sale table top, four walnut leg blanks I was working on anyway. Wife wanted that table made into a table, by suppertime! Or, NO Supper! Went and picked up 2 decent 1x4x8' pne boards at Big Blue. Milled things down into finished tapered legs of walnut, four aprons of pine, a front to back stetcher of pine ( with a dovetail at each end), and four corner blocks. Clamp the mess of parts together266552266553all things now glued up, and a few screws here and there. Time to take this thing upstairs, and install on the table top. Top was just sitting on top of a card table. Flipped it over on to it's top, and screwed one side down. Hmmm, a little out of square? Trudge back down to the shop, pick up a long clamp, and pull the base square. Then screwed it off to the top266554Then it was time to flip it onto it's walnut feet, get rid of the card table, and set the "new" table in just the right spot ( according to the Boss)266555This is as large as the site will allow. Legs are tapered on the two inside faces, from 1-1/2" down to 1". Stretcher is connected to the top with four screws, plus one in each corner block. Tapering done with just handplanes, mortises chopped with a saw and chisel, as I use open top leg mortises. Top was one of those that one gets at Walmart, and is veneered particle board. Start time was about 11:00 am, completed at 6:30pm. Then, I had to go and fry up a supper....:eek:

ray hampton
07-16-2013, 3:13 PM
so , you avoid going on a diet,
the table turn out fine

Jim Becker
07-18-2013, 4:00 PM
Oooh...speed woodworking! Followed by cooking dinner, too. Nice job!