PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette question. Bandsaw Riser block

Keith Woodworth
07-15-2013, 11:58 PM
I stumbled on a Chinese 6" bandsaw riser kit for under 40 dollars shipped to me. I received it the other day and hope to get it installed next week, it looks like any other Chinese riser kit and that price was to good to pass up. Is it cool to post the link here or respond to PMs?

Dan Hintz
07-16-2013, 6:51 AM
Responding to PMs is never a problem. Posting links comes with a warning, but it's simple enough... if you don't receive any benefit from the item being linked to (e.g., you don't own the company, you don't get a kickback, you're not shilling for a friend, etc.), then post away to your heart's content.

Myk Rian
07-16-2013, 8:08 AM
What saw is it for?
Please. don't say Delta.

Curt Harms
07-17-2013, 7:10 AM
Is it cool to post the link here or respond to PMs?

In addition to Dan's post, I've posted Ebay info here which is considered verboten. AFAIK, links are okay as long as they're not 'clickable'. Something like thislink.c-o-m or an auction number/lot number. If this is incorrect I hope someone will correct me.

Frank Trinkle
07-17-2013, 7:19 AM
Chinese 6" bandsaw riser kit

Ewwww! That first part is enough to offend by itself!!:eek:

David C. Roseman
07-17-2013, 8:15 AM
Good find, Keith, assuming it fits your saw. Let us know how it goes, and in any event post away, as it might be helpful to someone else looking.

I'm guessing this was at least partly tongue in cheek, Frank, considering that so much of the most popular woodworking machinery (big names included) has been manufactured in Shandong Province for several years. ;)

David

Frank Trinkle
07-17-2013, 9:21 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Frank Trinkle http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2132738#post2132738)

I'm guessing this was at least partly tongue in cheek, Frank, considering that so much of the most popular woodworking machinery (big names included) has been manufactured in Shandong Province for several years.

Yeah, sort of..kinda, errrr.... not so much! I have a boatload of machinery and handtools that were made in China, and with the exception of my SawStop PCS, the rest of it has had problems of one kind or another over the last five years. Every Grizzly machine I own has rust forming UNDER the powdercoating (Bandsaw, Drill Press, 8" Jointer, Downdraft Table). The ShopFox Mortising machine base has virtually disintegrated from rust, and the top is not much better even though it's been cared for. Chinese bits, sockets, hand tools, and some power tools are all pretty much total junk. Every hand tool, driver, chisel and bit that has had any reasonable frequent use has dulled so badly that I would have to resharpen after EVERY use.
So, in truth, I have virtually no confidence in Shandong Province's manufacturing facilities. Cheap Steel, shortcuts, and poor quality control. Other's experiences may differ.

I have made a commitment to upgrade my entire workshop over the next year to what I am calling "Lifelong" tools and equipment. That means severely limiting items manufactured in China, Indonesia, Malaysia, (and to a lesser degree...Taiwan), where the contracting companies don't have extensive and effective quality control personnel on site. Exceptions will include upgrading my SawStop to a ICS 5HP model (Taiwan), a Laguna 14X14 SUV bandsaw (Unknown, but receives very high marks), and a Delta 18-900L Drill Press (again, no idea where produced). Possibly a Jet oscillating drum sander...but that's it. The only current floor machine I am keeping is the Grizzly large Downdraft Table because there is no equivalent I can find, and even it has corrosion problems and may not last more than another few years.

I have had the opportunity to live part time in Germany for the last year thanks to my wife, who is a Lt Col in the Air Force and assigned here. I have truly discovered the quality, engineering, fit and finish, and workability of European Woodworking products and machinery. There is simply no comparison to those made in China. As a result, I will be purchasing a Felder Hammer A3-41 Jointer/Planer, a Laguna Italian 20" Bandsaw, a German-made CNC (CNC-Step High Z), A TON of Festool, Protool, Fein, Mafell, and Kress power tools, and a number of well-engineered hand tools and clamps (Bessey).

The cost for this conversion is certainly eye-opening, but as my father taught me years ago... If you spend more money on high quality, whether machines or clothes, they end up cheaper in the long run. Wish I had taken his advice five years ago. We have a family income for now that will support setting up a lifelong tools workshop now...and prices will only rise in the future, so we're taking advantage of the opportunity now before one of us, or both, retire from active work and can no longer afford to do so.

All that being said, it WAS basically tongue in cheek, and I hope that the riser the OP purchased will be high quality and well worth the cost. I know we'll all be looking for his updates.

ken masoumi
07-17-2013, 10:02 AM
I wonder how many people would choose to buy these inferior Chinese tools if money was no object?

Duane Meadows
07-17-2013, 10:14 AM
Yeah, sort of..kinda, errrr.... not so much! I have a boatload of machinery and handtools that were made in China, and with the exception of my SawStop PCS, the rest of it has had problems of one kind or another over the last five years. Every Grizzly machine I own has rust forming UNDER the powdercoating (Bandsaw, Drill Press, 8" Jointer, Downdraft Table). The ShopFox Mortising machine base has virtually disintegrated from rust, and the top is not much better even though it's been cared for.

I have a Ford Windstar that is rusting to pieces... my Grizzly tools are not! Most are 18 years old. Maybe an environmental issue?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Folks,

Let's get back on topic with the OPs thread, please.

Links to e-bay and other auction websites are not allowed. You can mention the website name and the item number.

Links to commericial websites are allowed as long as you do not gain financially from the website....you aren't shilling for the website.

ken masoumi
07-17-2013, 10:46 AM
I stumbled on a Chinese 6" bandsaw riser kit for under 40 dollars shipped to me. I received it the other day and hope to get it installed next week, it looks like any other Chinese riser kit and that price was to good to pass up. Is it cool to post the link here or respond to PMs?
keith,I hope it is cool to post the link,I for one would be more than happy to buy it if it would fit my Delta clone Chinese bandsaw.

Keith Woodworth
07-19-2013, 3:07 PM
I've been working on some other issues and have not tried to install it yet, but it looks like it will have the standard redrill the holes for the alignment pins issue for my 75 Delta. http://www.westerntool.com/pioneer-14-inch-bandsaw-riser-block.html Nope No relation to them in fact I was kind of hesitant to order from them after reading web reviews but it appears that more than one store is named Western Tool. Good luck.