PDA

View Full Version : Painting Jet 1236 Lathe

cecil dean
07-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Just purchased a used Jet 1236 lathe. It works fine but a lot of the paint has came off. Has anyone repainted theirs? Can you buy the same type of paint?

Denny Rice
07-15-2013, 11:35 PM
I know Jet will send you a small amount of touch up paint if you need to cover a belmish on a product. For something that is losing a great amount of paint, or something you are wanting to refurbish, I would take a samll, clean paint sample to a paint store that deals in automotive style paint. They have the equipment to sample the paint chip and come up with a "receipe" to match most factory paints. Of course being this style of paint you will have to buy a reducer and hardner to mix in the paint and have the spray equipment to lay the paint and make it look new. If you decide to go this route or just paint it with a brush just remember you want that metal as clean as possible and dust free before one ounce of paint hits it or it will be for not.

Thom Sturgill
07-16-2013, 7:31 AM
I just used spray can appliance finish from the BORG. its epoxy based and produces a much harder finish. It was also a true white rather than the off-white Jet used, but then I painted the whole thing so was not worried about matching.

cecil dean
07-16-2013, 9:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions

Dick Mahany
07-16-2013, 11:39 AM
I repainted a number of Jet machine surfaces and castings as well as a few home made lathe accessories. The spray paint from Jet was expensive at around $20 plus shipping for a 16 oz spray can, so I took my banjo to my local Ace Hardware and they computer matched it. A quart of oil based enamel cost $10. Color was a perfect match. (My local Borg could only match latex and I wanted a more durable paint) Here's the formula on the can:

Standard Label Info:
ACE Indoor / Outdoor Rust Stop Oil Based Enamel
225A310 Ultra White Gloss (Tint Base) ACE 1966142

Color Matching Info from the computer scanner:
Daylight
UWht 310
"B" 1 shot + 1*1/2 shot
"C" 6 shots + 1*1/2 shot
"L" 3 Shots ( no 1/2 shots)

I used a brush, however it could also be sprayed if one has the equipment.

Pat Scott
07-16-2013, 1:24 PM
Dick what kind of swing away tailstock adapter is that? It looks like it's a Robust? Was it a straight bolt on with no modification?

Dick Mahany
07-16-2013, 1:29 PM
Dick what kind of swing away tailstock adapter is that? It looks like it's a Robust? Was it a straight bolt on with no modification?

It's a home made version. I got the inspiration from the Robust. Although not pretty, it's very handy. It's also part of the reason that I needed paint such as the OP was inquiring about :).

cecil dean
07-16-2013, 7:41 PM
Thanks Dick. Jet paint is now 24.99 a can. Will head to Ace for a can of paint. Do not understand why a manufacture want to make so much on paint to keep their product looking good. Maybe I should paint it some other color just so not to advertise Jet tools. LOL