PDA

View Full Version : Best UV protection finish

Mike Cruz
07-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Okay, sometimes I'm just useless when it comes to doing searches for old posts...

I think this was discussed recently, but couldn't find the thread.

I'm wondering what finish(es) have the best UV protection. And I'm pertaining this to turnings, and want/need the finish to be food safe. Of course, all wood finishes in the US are food safe, but that is, in a way, my point...I'm looking for a wood finish with great UV protection. Thanks!

Rick Markham
07-15-2013, 10:54 PM
I'd like to know this as well!

Reed Gray
07-16-2013, 12:54 AM
Spar varnish, which is used on boats comes to mind, and it is made for sun and water exposure. I have heard of using Armor All as well.

robo hippy

Brian Kent
07-16-2013, 1:59 AM
Epifanes gloss clear varnish is what I use on outdoor furniture - 7 coats - based on an outdoor finish test, I think from Fine Woodworking.

John Keeton
07-16-2013, 6:34 AM
Okay, sometimes I'm just useless when it comes to doing searches for old posts...Mike, I have much better luck with a Google advanced search, using a string like this - uv protection site:sawmillcreek.org

That gave me the following - some of which may be useful for you.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153503-UV-Protection-against-color-change

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?48650-UV-Absorbers-sold-added-separately

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?29911-Anyway-to-prevent-sun-light-from-fading-wood

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?199496-Fir-Exterior-Door-Finishing-Advice-Please

Mike Cruz
07-16-2013, 8:18 AM
Thanks, John. That is helpful...in more than one way!

Grant Wilkinson
07-16-2013, 10:28 AM
What are you putting it on? I'll second boat varnish. We use it on kayaks to protect the epoxy from UV and all seems well.

Michael Stafford
07-16-2013, 10:30 AM
I have been using Helmsman Spar Varnish in a rattle can and it seems to hold up very well although I only have about 8 years of experience with it. I use it on my segmented work because it purports to have a high level of UV protection. It seems to have protected my polychromatic turnings reasonably well.

Mike Cruz
07-16-2013, 11:45 AM
I'd like to preserve the natural color of the wood in bowls. I know that UV light will darken some woods, lighten others, and simply brown others (like purpleheart).

Scott Hackler
07-16-2013, 12:33 PM
I'd like to preserve the natural color of the wood in bowls. I know that UV light will darken some woods, lighten others, and simply brown others (like purpleheart).

I guess my suggestion of enamel paint won't work.......

Mike Cruz
07-16-2013, 3:33 PM
Yeah, I suppose black gesso would be the BEST UV protector...but not what I'm looking for. ;)

robert baccus
07-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Good advice--the ingredient that is important is tung oil. The higher % the better.------Old sailor.

Montgomery Scott
07-17-2013, 10:38 AM
There is no transparent finish that will prevent color change because of UV exposure. The UV absorbers in the finish are to slow the degradation of the finish. They have little effect on preventing color change in the wood. Your best bet is to keep your turnings out of direct and indirect sunlight.

Michelle Rich
07-18-2013, 6:32 AM
It is a personal opinion that I don't believe a finish with UV protection will be food safe. I really don't believe much on the market is. If you are eating out of a bowl, you will chip the finish & you will eat it. The lovely finish will start to look ratty, pretty fast. I avoid it all, by using edible oil & wax. This finish has stood the test of time for me. It rarely needs to be redone if it's a salad bowl, as the oil in that gives a great patina, & the vinegar cleans the bacteria.

Mike Cruz
07-18-2013, 8:35 AM
Michelle, I respect that there is a little voice in the back of your mind that makes you question the food safety of finishes other than oils, but they are ALL food safe once the drying agents have dissipated. Even if something flakes off and you ingest it. What you are ingesting is so minuscule, and it passes right though you, undigested, that it will not harm you. There has been no evidence of any harm coming from the wood finishes that are sold in the US.

Again, I respect your aversion, but want to make it clear to everyone reading that even poly (which is plastic) is perfectly safe once completely dried.

Russell Neyman
07-22-2013, 1:07 PM
I'll tell you one product that's NOT UV stable and that's CA. I refinished the control knobs on my brother's ketch, and within a year the finish has turned cloudy and wood faded.