PDA

View Full Version : Any Plumbers Here

Jerry Bruette
07-15-2013, 9:34 PM
I'm hooking up a water supply in my cabin. I have galvanized pipe coming through the floor from the well, hooked to that pipe is a brass tank tee. Do I need a dielectric union between the galvanized and brass fittings to isolate them?

Thanks
Jerry

ray hampton
07-15-2013, 9:46 PM
I not a plumber but it will cost you more to install it later instead of now

David G Baker
07-16-2013, 12:33 AM
I frequently use brass connectors between galvanized pipe and copper. Brass has less of a tendency to be effected by the dielectric process, in fact I have had more problems with dielectric couplings than I have had using brass. I am not a plumber but I was a pipe fitter at the Sacramento California Southern Pacific Railroad General Repair Shops when I was young.

Dan Hintz
07-16-2013, 6:58 AM
If it was copper to galvanized, yes... but brass is often used as a dielectric union itself, so you're good without one.

Jerry Bruette
07-16-2013, 4:46 PM
David what type of trouble have you had with dielectric unions? I think I'll be using PEX instead of copper.

David G Baker
07-19-2013, 12:22 AM
Jerry B
Corrosion especially on hot water tanks. The couplings weren't ones that I installed, they were put on by previous owners of homes I bought. I removed them and replaced them with copper/brass flex tubing and brass fittings leaving the tank.