PDA

View Full Version : An Introduction

Scott Crumpton
05-23-2005, 10:47 PM
I’m not all that great at introductions, particularly of myself. I’ve been reading the forums here for quite awhile, but this is only my second posting. I’ve been woodworking for several years and just recently got a lathe. John Hart’s Turning Blank Excursion prompted me to sign up so that I could contact him. So, at his suggestion, here are a couple of pictures of my first turnings. I hope I've attached the images correctly.

The bowel is my first. I think I made just about every mistake short of creating a funnel, but salvaged it in the end. The wood is Southern Red Oak from a limb crotch. I removed the limb about 3 weeks earlier and had just left the cut sections on the ground. I got lucky with the spalting and the figure. The rough-out warped badly and thus the very thin edge on the right.

The second picture shows two sets of tools, the handles on the left are some of my first spindle turnings. The wood is well seasoned Hickory. The tools on the right are a $15 set that I was given. The bowel and tool handles were done with this set. Some of them are now bent. :D

The last picture is of the lathe itself. I’m including it because some of you might find the mobile base interesting. One of my workshop rules is: If I can’t lift it, it’s got to have wheels. No exceptions. You could say that the base was my first lathe project. It’s 110 pounds of steal with around 230 pounds of concrete. The lathe is bolted to the base. I’ve noticed some vibration traceable to the wheels with off round blanks, but the solution is really simple. Lift the ends with a crowbar and set the corners on blocks. Problem solved. And it sure was nice of Jet to drill and tap those holes on the headstock. ;)

Well, that’s about it. I’m looking forward to participating.

---Scott.

Raymond Overman
05-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Welcome to the Creek...

Yep, that's red oak all right and it looks very nice. The figure in the crotch piece turned out real well. It looks like you have an excellent cut into the bowl and a great smooth curve. I'd like to see a shot of the profile. Good job.

Keep posting. We like to see what people are doing!

Ernie Nyvall
05-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Welcome Scott. Good looking bowl. How did that red oak turn? Nice jog on the lathe too.

Ernie

Glenn Hodges
05-24-2005, 6:23 AM
Nice of you to join us Scott. The red oak bowl is very nice looking with lots of color and figure. Oak has given me trouble with cracking especially the limbs, but you look like you have had no trouble with this one. We look forward to your contributions.

John Hart
05-24-2005, 6:38 AM
Welcome again Scott! Nice looking bowl...First one huh? Sheesh....my first one was little bitty pieces on the floor.;) Looks to me like you're all set for the addiction...With one problem of course....You said in your email that your kids are interested now...Good luck getting lathe time!

Fred Ray
05-24-2005, 2:56 PM
Nice bowl, Scott. And agood job on the base. But: What Drilled and tapped holes on the headstock are you referring to???

Scott Crumpton
05-24-2005, 9:55 PM
I think I'll answer everyone’s questions in one posting. Here’s a shot of the bowel bottom. I was going for a sort of salad or fruit bowel kind of look. The pictures are deceiving, it’s not as smooth as it looks. I wasn’t able to turn it completely round, so I resorted to sanding at low speed so that I could follow the edge. The inside curve is also a bit off. But I’m just pleased that it made it to completion. I’ll keep it.

The Oak crotch was rather difficult to turn. I didn’t have the right tools at the time and had a lot of catches. Like I mentioned some of the cheep tools are now bent. I soaked the rough turning in alcohol for a day before setting it up to dry. Only got one minor surface crack. However it did go out of round by almost an inch on a bowel with only a half inch edge. Should have left the edge thicker.

Last night I attacked another chunk of similar oak that I cut Saturday. It was section from about 45 ft up where a limb joined the trunk, about 13” dia. Really tough and catchy. Even with a good tool I couldn’t control it. Nothing like the wet hickory I did a couple of days earlier. The hickory cut like butter. Anyway, after I reversed it and started hollowing I got a catch that partially broke the tennon at the chuck. I then calmly opened the shop door for some bowling practice. It’s still out in the yard as I write this.

The holes on the headstock I was referring to are on each side of the top rear edge. They’re meant for an optional guard. I used them for mounting the lamp with a home built bracket. See the inset photo in the upper right corner of the lathe photo.

I think that's about all,
---Scott.

Carole Valentine
05-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Welcome to the site, Scott. Looks like you've got the bug.:)

Glenn Hodges
05-25-2005, 7:06 AM
I have made a lot of firewood in my woodturning days, and if you keep at it I bet you will do just like me....you will probably make some more. I say to myself, "I just be daggone if can believe I was that stupid.", well I was, and the problem with woodturning is the wood is staring me right in the face saying, "This is the evidence of your mistake". I find the best thing to do is have an attidude like you, go bowling with it or find some other use for it. I don't bowl so I installed a wood heater in my shop. This positive attitude and the abiltity to shake off misshaps will help you to no end in woodturning.

Mike Ramsey
05-25-2005, 9:19 AM
Welcome Scott, I have that same tool set and some of mine are bent also;) . Try Milk of Magnesia for those Bowel problems :) .

Ed Scolforo
05-25-2005, 2:28 PM
Welcome, Scott, nicely done! I think I see a ram looking at me from the bottom side of the bowl!

Ed

Scott Crumpton
05-25-2005, 3:20 PM
Try Milk of Magnesia for those Bowel problems :) .

Nevre cud spel. :)

Jeff Sudmeier
05-25-2005, 4:10 PM
Scott, welcome to the creek!

The bowl looks great. Also, the tool handles look supurb!! Way to good to use :)