PDA

View Full Version : Is the Shop Fox 2.5 micron bag for wall mount any good?

Mark Burnette
07-15-2013, 8:37 PM
I notice the Shop Fox replacement bag is considerably cheaper than the Dust Right bag & traps finer dust (they say). But is it any good?
I'm shopping for a decent bag for my home-made drum-top DC.

Mark Burnette
07-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Well I thought someone might have tried it as an upgrade to the upgrade 5 micron Rockler bag.

Myk Rian
07-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Depends on what you mean by "any good".
Filtering the smalls? Of course.
Air flow? Maybe.
Durability? Maybe.

glenn bradley
07-16-2013, 1:21 PM
This always helps me keep things in perspective:

"Good" all depends on what you feel like inhaling ;-)

Mark Burnette
07-16-2013, 10:24 PM
OK I was wrong. There are lots of threads here recommending the 5 micron bag--I assumed many would be all over the 2.5 micron bag for $10 less.

Michael W. Clark
07-16-2013, 10:37 PM
OK I was wrong. There are lots of threads here recommending the 5 micron bag--I assumed many would be all over the 2.5 micron bag for $10 less.

Are you sure the posts are not recommending a 0.5 micron bag? An efficiency of 99%+ on 0.5 micron is very acheivable with most filter medias.

glenn bradley
07-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Are you sure the posts are not recommending a 0.5 micron bag? An efficiency of 99%+ on 0.5 micron is very acheivable with most filter medias.

I agree. Any posts recommending a five micron filter would be questionable IMHO. You can see five micron particles and I really don't want to breath anything I can see. The things I can't see are bad enough :D. Of course, some people smoke and some people spray finishes without proper respirators. Tolerances and views on future health problems vary.

David Kumm
07-17-2013, 12:16 AM
The question to ask is what pressure drop does the bag create vs the old one. Good luck finding that out but with a small unit it is important to know. While the filter might be better, if the resistance causes a cfm drop less dust gets to the filter and more in your lungs. There are some materials that filter well with less pressure drop. Beane filters are one. Dave

Mark Burnette
07-17-2013, 9:50 AM

I'm sure. The wall mount DC is sold with a 30 micron bag and a 5 micron is an option. That's the extent of the discussions I've viewed.
I'd like to look into the .5 micron bag that fits--if you could direct me to it.