PDA

View Full Version : Finding a new gallery?

curtis rosche
07-15-2013, 10:11 AM
I've been on the road a lot lately (70-80hrs a week) driving and installing swing sets, and haven't gotten any turning at all lately sadly. But something's gotta pay for tools right?
I got a call the other day and the gallery I have my work in is closing. So now I'm in the search for a new gallery for my work.
My question is where should I look? I could try another gallery in Lancaster city pa. Or I could try to find one in a bigger city like Harrisburg or philadelphia. What would you do? Is a bigger city gallery worth it?

charlie knighton
07-15-2013, 11:45 AM
curtis......you probably not going to get rich with turnings.....or make a living........notice the gallery is closing.......all kinds of reasons, but nobody is lining up to buy the gallery owner out and continue the venue......most succesful turners demostrate, teach, do viedoes, sell tools, all of the above, and some things i have not thought of

to really make it as a artist is to be dead 200 years and everybody wants your work

good luck, you can sell in more than one location, it is a pain to sell outside of your locale, but can be rewarding

Steve Doerr
07-15-2013, 6:17 PM
Curtis, sorry to hear about the closing of your gallery. One thing that you might consider is forming a coop. Is the building the currently gallery is in rented or owned by the gallery operator? At the gallery that I'm part of here in Joplin MO, we are a coop of 16 different regionally local artists. There are several different ways that you can do a coop. We have divided the rent amongst each of us, and on the most part we each work about a half of day per week. Instead of the traditional 40% to 60% commission collected by most galleries, we collects 10% commission on each item sold. It allows us to keep the prices a little more reasonable. We are in our third year and each year we have seen our sales increase. Last year, all of the artists made more in sales than they paid out in rent. Might check with some of your local artist to see if they would be interested in such a venture.
Good luck,
Steve

Greg Just
07-16-2013, 7:03 AM
I would talk to the owner of the shop that is closing. They usually know who the local competition is and you could check to see if they might offer you an opportunity. Good luck.