PDA

View Full Version : Videoing of personal tragedies

Stephen Cherry
07-15-2013, 8:02 AM
Here is one thing I don't understand. Apparently, these days it is cool to take a video when someone is having a hard time, and post the video on the internet as a joke.

Case in point, one individual lost his truck at a boat ramp, and someone takes the time to video it, and post it on youtube as a joke. No mention that the person may not even be able to go to work the next day, just the joke.

Am I some sort of relic, but when I see someone having a hard time, I think if there is some way that I can help, rather than to post it as a joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQpVv11dUTM

John Coloccia
07-15-2013, 8:11 AM
Here is one thing I don't understand. Apparently, these days it is cool to take a video when someone is having a hard time, and post the video on the internet as a joke.

Case in point, one individual lost his truck at a boat ramp, and someone takes the time to video it, and post it on youtube as a joke. No mention that the person may not even be able to go to work the next day, just the joke.

Am I some sort of relic, but when I see someone having a hard time, I think if there is some way that I can help, rather than to post it as a joke.

Isn't that what reality TV is all about....the ONLY thing it's all about? Anyhow, jut FYI, by posting the link here you're just advertising for him and making him even more popular.

Chuck Wintle
07-15-2013, 8:11 AM
its a perverse form of fun, those that take delight in other peoples tragedies. its fun until it happens to them.

Stephen Cherry
07-15-2013, 8:24 AM
Anyhow, jut FYI, by posting the link here you're just advertising for him and making him even more popular.

That's true. My concern though is the lack of concern for other peoples losses. I'm not sure what it is, but it's a lack of something.

Jeff Monson
07-15-2013, 8:38 AM
I'm not sure what it is, but it's a lack of something.

Lack of respect IMO, instead of offering a helping hand, just stand there and video tape the poor guy. If it were me I'd offer to help, and if refused I'd go on my way and mind my own business.

John Coloccia
07-15-2013, 8:41 AM
Lack of respect IMO, instead of offering a helping hand, just stand there and video tape the poor guy. If it were me I'd offer to help, and if refused I'd go on my way and mind my own business.

Maybe I'll start taking video of all the jerks taking video. That would be interesting. I'm guessing it will ruffle more than a couple of feathers, not that I've ever had any problem with ruffling feathers.

Bill Huber
07-15-2013, 10:00 AM
I think it is awful, look at that show on TV, Americas Funniest Videos, I just don't think it is funny at all to see someone fall off the stage or or get hit with a ball.
What is funny about a kid on a sled slamming into a tree, I just don't get it and that is why I don't watch any of those shows.

Mike Henderson
07-15-2013, 10:25 AM
I think it is awful, look at that show on TV, Americas Funniest Videos, I just don't think it is funny at all to see someone fall off the stage or or get hit with a ball.
What is funny about a kid on a sled slamming into a tree, I just don't get it and that is why I don't watch any of those shows.
That's exactly the way I feel about it.

Mike

Jim Rimmer
07-15-2013, 1:43 PM

I used to watch AFV but it got to the point that too many were staged or somebody was going to a.fall; b. drop their drawers; c. loose their teeth; or d. get hit in the groin with something.
Many of them make you ask "Why were the taking the video?" Answer: Hoping yo win the $10K

As to the OP, I agree. It's as bad as news reporters sticking a camera and microphone in someone's face and asking how they feel about their loved one being killed or their house burning down.

Eric DeSilva
07-15-2013, 1:54 PM
For better or worse, virtually all humor is based on misfortune, whether your own or someone else's.

Brian Tymchak
07-15-2013, 5:02 PM
As to the OP, I agree. It's as bad as news reporters sticking a camera and microphone in someone's face and asking how they feel about their loved one being killed or their house burning down.

Agreed.. One of the big reasons I don't watch much local news anymore.

Ryan Mooney
07-15-2013, 5:18 PM

I actually have a related problem with most TV shows. You start out liking a character (or at least sympathizing with them) and then it turns out that they're a jerk as well .. and hey everyone on the show is a jerk. Don't like any of them, can't even really feel sorry for them just really don't even want to deal with them at all. I get to deal with plenty of jerks in my real life, why would I want to watch a bunch of people being jerks on tv as well? I can't decide if its gotten worse or if I'm just more sensitive about it.

Jim Matthews
07-15-2013, 5:27 PM
For better or worse, virtually all humor is based on misfortune, whether your own or someone else's.

Humor is based on another's misfortune.
Tragedy is based on yours.

Myk Rian
07-15-2013, 5:37 PM
Help, how. Pull the whole thing out yourself.

I didn't hear a single word from the person taking video, that made a joke of the whole thing.
Maybe the person taking the video just happened upon the scene. Maybe it was his brother, and was asked to post it.
Maybe some thicker skin is in order around here. You don't know the whole story.

Pat Barry
07-15-2013, 9:33 PM
This is no different than gawkers on the freeway or various other day in and day out news items. Nothing wrong with the video per se. Maybe it will even help one of us to remember to set the parking brake or put it into park the next time we visit the boat landing.

Stephen Cherry
07-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Help, how. Pull the whole thing out yourself.

I didn't hear a single word from the person taking video, that made a joke of the whole thing.
Maybe the person taking the video just happened upon the scene. Maybe it was his brother, and was asked to post it.
Maybe some thicker skin is in order around here. You don't know the whole story.

It looked like some people were lifting the trailer. Also, you could ask if the owner needed a tow for his boat, or a ride home for him or some of his people. The first thing to do would be to ask. Having the whole thing recorded for laughs for youtube is the opposite of helping.

As for thicker skin, mine is actually pretty thick. I'm not offended or hurt in any way by this. I think that it is pathetic. It just says something though about peoples perceptions of other peoples tragedies. Next thing you know, people will be making recordings of people when they find out that their dog died or something like that. That would be really funny, to see someones emotion. Ha. Ha. Ha.

phil harold
07-16-2013, 6:38 AM
I look at this like, folks posting the results of kickbacks on the table saws here at SMC

Learn from other's mistakes.

Jim Matthews
07-16-2013, 7:23 AM
The difference is in who gets paid.

As I understand it, the originating poster of a YouTube video gets a percentage of ad revenue
based on how many times the video is viewed. If there are bottom feeders
actively seeking out (or encouraging) risky behavior for profit - it's exploitation
of the sap without compensation.

Since the Son of Sam law was striken, there's no recourse for the hapless; insult to the injury.

Brad Cambell
07-16-2013, 5:13 PM
I have always hated the way the camera would zoom in on an Olympic athlete as they just had a sub par performance and lost the gold or missed medalling altogether. The whole time, the interviewer would keep interviewing them until their emotions welled up and the tears would flow. I turn the channel when that happens anymore.

And to the original post. Yes, I dislike how people video some ones tragedy for entertainment. I wonder how they would feel if someone videoed them while they were videoing. Hmmmmmm

Dave Sheldrake
07-16-2013, 8:01 PM
As my late Father taught me

"If you wish to read of man kinds worst failures, read the front page, if you wish to read of their greatest achievements, read the obituaries"

If one of my loved ones was hurt or upset and somebody thought it funny to video it? well, put it this way...they won't be finding it funny for long when they get the proctologists invoice for getting the camera back.

best wishes

Dave

David Weaver
07-16-2013, 9:22 PM
I may be in the minority here, but losing an insured vehicle and a recreational toy isn't what I'd call a personal tragedy. I don't see a big problem with this video, and if it gets a half dozen people to think about how much force a big boat exerts on a ramp, that's not an awful thing.

What really rubs me the wrong way is when the "news" shoves a camera in the face of a sobbing mother who has just lost a child to violence, and that seems to happen all too often on the news here.

Mike Cruz
07-16-2013, 10:18 PM
I have to say that, while I understand the distain for those that post videos of other peoples' misfortunes for pleasure, I don't see that here. What I see is a person taking video of an incident. He may have been asked to video the whole thing for insurance purposes (by the owner of the Ford), or by the police (who, by the way were crawling all over the place like ants...appropriately...and likely were KEEPING people for helping and endangering themselves). Since I, personally, don't know why the video was taken or posted, I'm not very quick to pass judgment on it. If I had heard the videographer laughing (yeah, he chuckled in surprise at one moment when the truck started to emerge, but hey, it was more of a surprise than a "laughing at" moment), jeering, and ridiculing the owner of the truck, then I'd be right with ya'll about it being unnecessary, childish, and thoughtless.

So, I'm with Myk and Phil on this one (I suppose Dave, too?)

If a joke IS going to be made, it would be this: I knew Fords rusted quickly, but that was ridiculous! See, funny, but not at the expense of the truck owner...just from a Chevy guy poking at Fords. ;)

Stephen Cherry
07-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Of course, loosing a truck is not the worst thing that can happen, but little things going wrong at the wrong time can cascade. The vehicle going in the lake at the wrong time can have a huge effect for people just scraping by.

And everyone's perception will be different. If you look at the comments, it is perceived by many as a subject of ridicule. If the video was for evidence, or insurance, there really is no reason to post it to the internet.

As for the Ford-Chevy thing, I'll leave that alone, particularly with the sad condition of my Beverly Hillbillies looking old Ford truck.

Mike Cruz
07-16-2013, 11:04 PM
I love you, man...

Rich Engelhardt
07-17-2013, 6:42 AM
Any video shot at a launch ramp is a bad example....

Launch ramps attract rude, stupid, brain dead, ignorant, flaming idiots like rotten fruit draws fruit flies....

Dan Hintz
07-17-2013, 7:03 AM
The vehicle going in the lake at the wrong time can have a huge effect for people just scraping by.

If someone just "scraping by" can afford a large truck, the gas it guzzles, and the pleasure boat it was hauling... I want to just "scrape by" for the rest of my life.

Mike Cruz
07-17-2013, 7:46 AM
Rich, is that a blanket statement about boaters? :confused:

David Weaver
07-17-2013, 8:04 AM
If someone just "scraping by" can afford a large truck, the gas it guzzles, and the pleasure boat it was hauling... I want to just "scrape by" for the rest of my life.

If I spent $100,000 on a boat and a truck, I'd just be scraping by. Even if half of that was on a large used boat and upkeep,.... it'd still cause me fiscal pain. I'd imagine anything like that would be insured, though, boat included. If you can't afford to take the loss, insure it. If you can't afford to buy the insurance and you can't afford the loss, you can't afford the hobby.

Stephen Cherry
07-17-2013, 9:13 AM

Dan- I have seen your carS. Neither one of them say "just scraping by". The truck in the video looks like a tapped out work truck, and you cant work from a sports car or a prius. As for boats, there is the natural draw to the sea for some people, and they need to have a boat. Look at the Hawaiians and Tahitians. The boat itslelf is nothing special, could be had on craigslist for pretty cheap. I'm pretty sure this is a working class guy who would have been in a tight spot.

In case anybody hasn't noticed, the country is "out of work", it's a tough time for lots of people:

Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey
Series Id: LNS11300000
Seasonally Adjusted
Series title: (Seas) Labor Force Participation Rate
Labor force status: Civilian labor force participation rate
Type of data: Percent or rate
http://data.bls.gov/generated_files/graphics/latest_numbers_LNS11300000_2003_2013_all_period_M0 6_data.gif

Mike Cruz
07-17-2013, 9:57 AM
Steve, I don't believe graphs like that. Maybe there are just fewer people today than there were in 03. :rolleyes: :D

No, I don't believe the guy is rolling in it. I believe he is a few fries short of a happy meal...I mean, his truck must have been quite deep in the water (and surprisingly still running!) BEFORE he passed the obvious sign that says END OF BOAT RAMP (or whatever it said).

Working stiff, money bags, not all with it, taking someone else's direction (and trusting them), on the phone while launching, first time launching a boat, trying to do it too quickly, quickly rising tide (unlikely), dumb, whatever the reason...it isn't really important. The point Steve was making was that people that laugh at other people's tragedies are inappropriate. The point (whether I agree that this was the intention of the videographer or not) is well taken. As someone else said, I think of it as a "learn from someone else's mistakes" moment. Maybe that is why the person posted it. Comments by others regarding the incident are not under the poster's control.

Now, that said, I remember (from years ago), a comedian saying the formula for comedy is: "Tragedy plus you minus me equals hilarious!" May be true for some and not for others...

Ken Fitzgerald
07-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Folks...no politics please.......

David Weaver
07-17-2013, 11:01 AM
If I spent $100,000 on a boat and a truck, I'd just be scraping by. Even if half of that was on a large used boat and upkeep,.... it'd still cause me fiscal pain. I'd imagine anything like that would be insured, though, boat included. If you can't afford to take the loss, insure it. If you can't afford to buy the insurance and you can't afford the loss, you can't afford the hobby.

I just noticed that truck is rusted out and the only expensive part of the boat in question is probably the motor. Still, I don't see anything wrong with videotaping it. As for a natural draw, and "needing" a boat that isn't income producing. Need is really stretching for anyone.

Stephen Cherry
07-17-2013, 11:39 AM
I just noticed that truck is rusted out and the only expensive part of the boat in question is probably the motor. Still, I don't see anything wrong with videotaping it. As for a natural draw, and "needing" a boat that isn't income producing. Need is really stretching for anyone.

David, not everyone has this drive, but it exists for some. Why do you think the Hawaiians pointed their canoes southwest and headed out? This is just one example. It, in my observation, is a fundamental human urge, to set out on the sea. Why, who knows, but if you look at human beans, some are drawn to the sea.

For that motor, if it were mine, I'd have it drained out and running in a few hours. The old two strokes were indestructible, up to the point where they send the piston or rod through the crankcase.

Maybe, if I were there, I could have offered to go through the motor with the guy and help him get it dried out and running. This would have been a much nicer thing to do.

Stephen Cherry
07-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Steve, I don't believe graphs like that. Maybe there are just fewer people today than there were in 03. .

Mike, that's the number of people who do work, divided by the number that are of working age. It's politics free.

Dave Sheldrake
07-17-2013, 11:49 AM
"Need" is an often overused word these days :)

Need can often be confused with want, I need air, food, water and warmth, past that everything else is a want or is based on a want.

I Want to be able to deliver goods to my customers therefore I Need a new truck.

I Want to expand my customer base therefore I Need a bigger laser to do so.

and so on....

I think in the western developed world we have become confused over need, in the 30 seconds it's taken me to write this 6 children under five years of age died because on a planet 2/3rds covered with water they couldn't get a drink.

Making merry of others tragedy is wrong, plain and simple but feigned concern is just as bad. Those that find the loss of this guys truck funny, well, best hope it never happens to you, to those that sit wailing about the chaps terrible loss, have you offered to buy him a new truck?

Me? I just find the video pointless, we as a race are selfish (me included) if any of us are truly honest whichever side of the fence we sit the fact is does anybody really care about the guy or his truck? nope.

best wishes

Dave

Rich Engelhardt
07-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Rich, is that a blanket statement about boaters? :confused:Nope - that's my first hand observation as a former boat owner. Launch ramps can be a real zoo.
No - strike that....animals in a zoo can be more well behaved than some of the clowns you'll find at a launch ramp.

Mike Cruz
07-17-2013, 1:58 PM
Oh, I knew that, Steve...I was just playin'. There are a LOT more people now then there were 10 years ago! So, even if we had the same number of people working today as we did in 03, the percentage would be lower. And yeah, I didn't see any politics...

Mike Cruz
07-17-2013, 2:01 PM
Well, Dave, I NEED a beer! ;)

Ben Hatcher
07-17-2013, 3:07 PM
If you like reality TV full of screaming, yelling, and family dysfunction, go watch a boat ramp on a busy weekend.

Bill Cunningham
07-17-2013, 5:59 PM
I sold my boat.. The very BEST day in a boaters life is when he sells it!!.. I went back to my house once to get a chain to pull a fellow in the same predicament out of the water and off the ramp before the cops showed up and gave him a HUGE ticket for pollution..If this poor fellow truck was running when it went down, he has some 'real' big problems and his insurance company may just ignore him.

Stephen Cherry
07-17-2013, 7:30 PM
Well, Dave, I NEED a beer! ;)

With this I fully agree.

Dave Sheldrake
07-17-2013, 8:11 PM
Amen :) soda for me though as I don't drink :) (nothing against beer, it's just not my thing) :)

cheers
Dave

John Coloccia
07-17-2013, 9:28 PM
IMHO, the annoying part to all of this isn't even the videoing of things going wrong. It's that no matter where you go, no matter what you do, no matter WHAT happens, there is always some idiot there with a camera. Someone...always. Everything is on video. Every time someone sneezes funny, or drops his beer at the bar, or picks his nose at the traffic light, there is some idiot with a video camera ready to post it on his YouTube channel.

We're under, more or less, CONSTANT surveillance. Seem pretty idiotic to me.

Dan Hintz
07-18-2013, 12:50 PM
I don't know, John... I'd be happy for those cameras when I'm robbed at gunpoint. Better wear a mask :)

Art Mann
07-21-2013, 11:29 AM
If you think taking a video of people under unfortunate situations is bad now, just wait until a significant part of the population is wearing "Google Glass" and will be able to record anything anywhere with a voice command or tap on the side. If this technology really does take hold, we are going to have to rethink what "personal privacy" means.