PDA

View Full Version : opinions please

jack duren
05-23-2005, 9:03 PM
its not uncommon for me to push tools and wood to its limit but this time im concerned. i used this particular edge banding around my bar but considering using it around my kitchen countertop worries me. simple water im fine with, but "dish" washing soap puts a questuion mark on the idea.

ok...so any thoughts on this or any problems anyone has encountered with soap and wood?

ill use either pre-cat or poly...

back hand slaps are welcome :D .....jack

John Miliunas
05-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Jack, I have to believe that, as long as you have it properly sealed with your choice of clear, you should be OK. We had Oak edge banding w/brass inlayed into it on our former kitchen and it held up just fine. Not anywhere as intricate as yours, but again, with good surface protection you should do alright. Personally, I think I would go with the pre-cat, as it would probably be easier to touch-up if the need arises. Pretty classy look, IMHO!:) :cool:

jack duren
05-23-2005, 11:41 PM
thx john... i like the ideal of using the pre-cat but concerned since its a harder finish it might be a problem with plates,etc sharply banging the surface. not sure if retarder will correct and problems in the future.....jack

Allen Bookout
05-23-2005, 11:57 PM
That's beautiful work Jack! Allen

John Hart
05-24-2005, 7:14 AM
Jack,

I made our bathroom sink/vanity from curly maple and finished it with poly. Still looks new after 7 years. Lots of water and soap and kids.

John Miliunas
05-24-2005, 8:02 AM
thx john... i like the ideal of using the pre-cat but concerned since its a harder finish it might be a problem with plates,etc sharply banging the surface. not sure if retarder will correct and problems in the future.....jack

Ahhh, good point! Guess I didn't think of that, but yes, you're right! Actually, now that I think about it, worse case scenario, if the poly would get real scrappy, you can still sand it down enough to accept a whole full coat. I believe the "trick" here, regardless of what finish is used, is to be sure the wood remains "encapsulated", so that moisture doesn't get to it and start turning it black. I vote: Go for it! :) As mentioned before, a very classy look!:) :cool:

Scott Parks
05-24-2005, 11:36 AM
I have maple edging in my master bath. It is coated with Target Coatings water poly. It's holding up just fine after 6 months of abuse.

jack duren
05-28-2005, 1:01 AM
movin along i hope all turns out well :) .....jack

jack duren
05-28-2005, 8:57 PM
love them clamps..

Pete Harbin
05-29-2005, 7:26 AM
Jack,

Have you thought of cutting a drip relief groove along the underside of the overhang? That should keep water from rolling over the the top and into that first joint seam of the profile.

Pete

jack duren
05-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Pete that is certainly a good ideal worth writing down but the upper piece is already fixed in place.

excellent point in multi-profile edging.....jack

Norman Hitt
05-29-2005, 4:18 PM
Pete that is certainly a good ideal worth writing down but the upper piece is already fixed in place.

excellent point in multi-profile edging.....jack

Jack, even though the trim is already in place, looking at the profile, you might be able to easily make a plane using a 1/8 to 1/4" chisle through a block of wood cut to match the moulding's contour, and place a piece of HDPE tape on the inside of the contour of the homemade plane to protect the moulding's finish, while you run it along the moulding to cut a drip relief groove.

Just a thought. Looks great.

jack duren
05-29-2005, 5:15 PM
lil late but ricks ideal shows "thinking" and would have incorporated it if i had thought of it prior. but the cabinets have been raised 3/4 for hardwoods and im ready to cut the sink in a few mo0ments ;) .....jack