PDA

View Full Version : OTG The new mower will be delivered tomorrow

Ken Garlock
05-12-2003, 5:16 PM
Last week I spent a lot of time at the computer and and traveling around the Dallas area looking for a lawn mower which can easily handle 1 to 2 acres.

I drove into Dallas to a shop which was supposed to handle Dixie Choppers only to find that they had dropped the line. The next closest dealer was in Arlington some 65 miles away. That killed the Dixie Chopper as an option.

I spent time at the Kubota dealer looking at various configurations, the same with the John Deere dealer. I stopped at Lowe's and looked at the Husqvarna ZTR, and as you know I asked about it here on the forum.

Some people suggested I look at a Kubota tractor and finish mower. That sounded good, but as much as I drooled over the BX2200 and B7800, I just could not see spending $10K to $15K.

So yesterday I spent time researching yet another brand. I liked what I saw and this morning my LOML and I drove to the lawn mower shop and bought the SCAG TIGER CUB ZTR. It has a 19 HP Kawasaki gas engine and a 48" deck. It is the only machine I saw that has a 3 year warranty. This is a commercial quality machine, with a commercial quality price, but fortunately the factory was having a $1000 off sale. That was what finally pushed me into the Scag court.

I will be delivered in the morning, and I am ready to hit the weeds.:)

Halsey MCCombs
05-12-2003, 5:23 PM
Most of the landscapers up in this area use scag's and I think you will be very happy with your choice. Have fun mowing.Halsey

Jim Becker
05-12-2003, 9:54 PM
Good deal! 'Nothing like having yet another "power tool" to enjoy!! :D

Lee Schierer
05-13-2003, 1:45 PM
So are you going to take your new mower racing???? Watched a show last night about mower racing. They get the mowers going up to about 50 mph. Apparently there is an entire racing league for this. Rulesa re pretty few, no blades, must start witht a stock lown mower engine block, but almost anything else is allowed.

Tom Sweeney
05-13-2003, 2:20 PM
<a href="http://www.wolf-garden.com/public_uk/produkte/prod02a.hbs?article_id=968676741&SKIP=0" target="_blank">http://www.wolf-garden.com/public_uk/produkte/prod02a.hbs?article_id=968676741&SKIP=0</a>

40mph - approved for the road - cuts with a laser beam
I think they're looking at a $40,000 price point. :D

Ken Garlock
05-13-2003, 5:47 PM
This dude weighs in at about 1100 pounds, so the only racing I will be doing is to finish mowing before it rains :) . They say that when mowing at 6 mph, you can do around 20 acres in 8 hrs. It isn't a race, but it is a good jog, a 10 minute mile....

Speaking of a stock engine block, the Kawasaki V-2 engine produces 19 hp. However, the Kaw. 21, 23, and 25 all have the same 600+ displacement as the 19. I guess they get the extra hp with the cam and carb.

Tom, that is quite a mower/car? for 40K. As my old boss always said, "not in my life time!":rolleyes:

Well, they did deliver it this morning, but wouldn't you know, it rained last night. The last thing you want to do is to venture out into a half muddy field. If you have never contended with the "soil" around Dallas, you just can't appreciate how bad it is. So the first mowing with the new machine, which is badly needed, will have to wait until the gumbo clay, that impersonates soil, drys out.:(

Keith Outten
05-13-2003, 9:46 PM
Here is a picture of the jet engine powered Dixie Chopper. It does in fact have blades which I believe they remove for racing :)

My stock 72" 25HP Chopper does about 8mph and I cut 6 acres in about 1.5 hours, two hours total includes trimming.

Ken,

The Scag is a good mower, you will be very happy with the performance and surpurised by the difference between a commercial mower and a homeowner machine.

Dave Arbuckle
05-13-2003, 11:26 PM
but wouldn't you know, it rained last night

I'm sorry Ken, I didn't know your new toy was coming today. I did it on purpose by washing my car, it was that or water the foundation...

Keep the mower away from the "dirt", it would probably be swallowed up.

Dave ;)