PDA

View Full Version : My new jointer: Nobody can accuse me of compensating for anything

Phil Thien
07-14-2013, 10:26 PM
I got a used Ryobi JP-155 6-1/8" benchtop jointer last week. I haven't had a jointer since I sold my 8-5/8 Inca combination jointer/thicknesser. I sold the Inca, along with a Ryobi 16/32 sander, and purchased a Dewalt DW734 planer. The idea at the time was to consolidate the shop because I thought I might need some of the space for another project. That never happened, so I started keeping an eye out of a small jointer.

The Ryobi came along (craigslist) at the beginning of the 4th of July 4-day weekend. The guy was asking $100 for it. I went and took a look, the knives were in rough shape, the infeed table was rough, but it was made in Japan and seemed like it was originally a pretty decent-quality unit, so I thought it was worth $100 and I purchased it.

The infeed table should have been anodized, somehow it was mostly (all?) gone. I sanded the infeed table down, polished a bit, and then coated it in wax. I'd prefer to have the original anodizing, but whatever aluminum Ryobi used grew a new skin of aluminum oxide real fast after sanding it, some sort of magic aluminum, LOL.

The outfeed table actually has a thin (1/32?) SS plate attached with about 12 screws. A neat design, the outfeed table should never require any maintenance. It is too bad they (Ryobi) didn't do that to the infeed table, too.

There is some rust on some of the fence components, I will need to clean that up. I might have found a source for parts, I'm investigating that first.

I built a stand for the unit using some dressed DF 2x4's. I used the jointer with the original carpy knives to help prepare the 2x4's. I was surprised at how well it worked. With such short beds (the entire thing is only about 26" long I think) it does an admirable job flattening stock up to 4' or even 5' long.

Yesterday with the planer on its new stand I added some AC (a receptacle to power it) and DC (dust collection piping). Today I installed some new knives I ordered from Harbor Freight (production of this machine was eventually moved to China and a version was sold by HF, so they have knives). New blades provide a very nice finish.

I've never had a jointer AND a planer. Changing from one mode to another on the Inca took about five minutes. It was enough of a PITA that I often used the Ryobi drum sander as a thicknesser (SLOW). So I think having both a jointer, and a planer, will really allow me to work much more quickly.

It is loud, BTW. OMG. But the Dewalt DW734 is loud, too. Have to use hearing protection either way.

Andrew Howe
07-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Nice Phil
i have a inca 510 as i have a small shop. Sold my thickness planer a while back. I agree, bit of a pain to swap back. My time is eaten up with setti.g up infee and out feed rollers given the inca has small beds like yours. Enjoy!

Phil Thien
07-14-2013, 11:35 PM
Nice Phil
i have a inca 510 as i have a small shop. Sold my thickness planer a while back. I agree, bit of a pain to swap back. My time is eaten up with setti.g up infee and out feed rollers given the inca has small beds like yours. Enjoy!

That 510 is a nicer unit than what I had (a 410?). My unit was 8-5/8" wide, and the thicknesser did not have a motorized feed, or I guess I was the motorized feed. One had to push the stock through manually. It worked okay, but it was a bit of a PITA. And the changeovers were real time and motivation drain.