PDA

View Full Version : Bubinga and Maple

Kathy Marshall
07-14-2013, 9:34 PM
The last few weeks have been really busy, not to mention really hot!, so this weekend was the first chance I've had to get turn in a while.
Last week I had a house guest, he was visiting his brother and SIL before coming here and he brought me a little surprise from his brother who works in a lumber yard. He asked me if I had any use for some cutoffs and of course I said Sure! Well, I don't think "cutoffs" does the wood justice. He brought Bubinga, Paduk, Maple, Cherry and Alder and the 2" slabs ranged in size from 8" - 10" wide and about 18" - 30" in length. Some mighty nice "cutoffs"!

I decided to turn something for his brother as a thanks for the wood, and went with a square bowl from bubinga with a maple lid. The bowl is 10" x 10" x 1 1/2" add another 1 1/2" for the lid.
I gave the bubinga a coat of Danish oil, followed by a coat of antique oil and I'll add a few more coats of AO before buffing to a shine.
I'm considering dyeing the maple lid, but am undecided on the color. I think I would either go with black, brown or a red/brown. What do you think?
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

James Combs
07-14-2013, 9:59 PM
I like the contrast as is.

Doug Herzberg
07-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Stunning. Better than your usual, which is saying something. I wouldn't dye the maple - I like the stark contrast, but I've never had the "vision thing." The bubinga I've seen has been more red. Maybe the oils changed it or maybe my memory is failing me, like everything else.

Good to see you back turning and posting. Some friends moved back to Phoenix for work and have been complaining about the heat, so I understand.

Tom Giacomo
07-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Looks good just as it is, like the contrast.

Dale Gillaspy
07-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Leave the maple as it is. I love the contrast, as well. Great Job, Kathy.

Roger Chandler
07-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Kathy...here is another vote for leaving the maple as is.......the contrast is already great in my opinion. Sometimes the natural beauty is just the best way to go.

I like your form........corners turned down and made into feet for the thing to sit on........bowl floating........nice! Reminds me of another form I saw......... somewhere? :D;):rolleyes:

robert baccus
07-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Really nice piece--I like the contrast also but a little pop of oil on the maple might even be better. Be careful using oils on the heavy dark tropical--they often get very dark especially with age. PS that is not just Bubinga but figured Bubinga--nice cutoffs yeah.

Brian Kent
07-14-2013, 11:59 PM
I also like the piece with the contrast. I like this better than if the color appeared as if you were trying to match color but didn't. It is really pretty as is.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2013, 12:37 AM
Kathy....Stunning piece! I am in agreement with others......I like the contrast and I wouldn't dye it. But....then again...it's yours!

Thom Sturgill
07-15-2013, 7:22 AM
Kathy, another vote for natural. If the Bubinga had been straight grained I would have suggested silver-gilding ("vermeil") the inside of the bowl as a surprise when the lid was lifted, but the grain is too pretty.

charlie knighton
07-15-2013, 8:51 AM
very nice, like the form

Dennis Ford
07-15-2013, 9:44 AM
+1 for leaving the maple with a natural color. This is a very nice design and well done (like you always do).

Kathy Marshall
07-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the comments everyone!
Looks like the consensus went 100% for leaving the lid natural and the brother agreed, so natural it will be. I'll just add a few coats of AO along with a few more for the bottom and it should buff out nicely!

Fred Belknap
07-16-2013, 7:38 AM
Kathy you did a great job on a difficult form and the wood is great as is.

Pat Scott
07-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Surprised nobody said anything about the knob. I think the knob is way too small and looks out of place. Otherwise it looks good.

Doug Herzberg
07-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Surprised nobody said anything about the knob. I think the knob is way too small and looks out of place. Otherwise it looks good.

Pat, it did not jump out at me, but now that you mention it, I agree. I appreciate honest criticism when I post and I'm glad you said something. It helps me learn. I assume Kathy is the same way, whether she agrees with your observation or not. I still think it's a great piece.