View Full Version : Dogwood Bowl

David A. Peterson
07-14-2013, 8:36 PM
I turned this bowl yesterday and today. It is dogwood (you can tell it
is, by it's 'bark'). The bowl is 6 1/8" diameter, and 1 3/4" tall. The
rim wall is 4/100th of an inch thin. The top of the one photo shows an
LED flashlight shining through the wall of the bowl. this piece also
had some birds-eye features. The wood came from Pinehurst #2 golf
course, where the US Men's and Woman's Open will be held in 2014.

Bill Hensley
07-15-2013, 6:25 AM
Nice simple bowl. I'm impressed it hasn't split on you. Maybe because it's so thin?

David A. Peterson
07-15-2013, 6:39 AM
The wood had air dried for a year. I was able to cut three rounds (each about 6 1/2") from a warped board I bought, then planed them flat so I had a good flat surface. There was one check about 2 inches long on the big board. There was no pith in the board, and the guy who milled it anchor sealed it. Dogwood is notorious for splitting and checking, but if you can find a good piece, it is a joy to turn. The original tree must have been a monster, to get a piece that was 6 1/2" wide with no pith.

charlie knighton
07-15-2013, 8:54 AM
like your bowl, love the dogwood

is the rim and the bottom different thichness???

what did you finish it with, it looks natural

David A. Peterson
07-15-2013, 12:59 PM
like your bowl, love the dogwood

is the rim and the bottom different thichness???

what did you finish it with, it looks natural

the very bottom is about 3/8" thick. the rim and most of the side is very thin, but I wanted to have a little weight to the bottom. I had turned a chuck ring (protruding) on the bottom, and had to cut that off, and wanted to leave a little depth on the base so that when I sanded it, it did not blow out the bottom. The bowl has one coat of LIN-SPEED gunstock oil on it when the picture was taken. LIN-SPEED is a product rubbed in with the fingers. I will build up a few coats on it.

Dogwood is fun to work with and it is not that tough to turn it thin, but it got thinner than I thought it would get, just because of sanding after I stopped turning.

Dave