PDA

View Full Version : New GO490X Jointer Setup question

Mark Furjanic
07-14-2013, 8:29 PM
I got my Jointer on Thursday and spent some time this weekend getting it put together and getting the cosmolene off of it, they don't spare the gunk that's for sure. When I went to test run it nothing at all happened and after a couple hours of cleaning it was a little disappointing. I grabbed my meter and started checking everything and it turned out the power wire to the stop switch was disconnected. Once attached everything hummed smoothy and there's no visible damage to the machine. I still have to check the tables, I already saw that the outfeed table is a little low but my question is about the fence and the fence carriage.

When I installed the fence carriage I let it settle on the bolts that hold it on. The fence has a lug on the bottom of it that sits directly on the outfeed table with things installed this way. I'll admit I don't know any better but this seems less that ideal. Should I raise everything up so there's a little bit of a gap under the fence when everything's tightened down and rely on the fence carriage bolts to keep the carriage from sliding down in time?

Chris Rosenberger
07-15-2013, 7:32 AM
The fence is designed to set on the outfeed table. The Delta DJ20s are designed the same way. Adjust the outfeed table to the proper height, then square up the fence.

Mike Goetzke
07-15-2013, 8:24 AM
The fence is designed to set on the outfeed table. The Delta DJ20s are designed the same way. Adjust the outfeed table to the proper height, then square up the fence.

I applied a small piece of teflon tape to the lug so it didn't drag the top.

Dick Holt
07-15-2013, 9:50 AM
Mark,
I put a piece of UHMW plastic tape on the bottom of mine. It is very slippery and fairly thick. It has been on for over 2 years and still works great. Makes moving the fence easier and
protects the table from gouges.

Dick

Gordon Eyre
07-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Grizzly suggests that you place a piece of paper on the table and then tighten down the fence this allows the fence to ride above the table a slight amount. Personally I didn't find that this worked well. The plastic tape trick sounds like a good idea and I will probably follow suit.

Mark Furjanic
07-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Thank you gentlemen, I like the idea of teflon or plastic tape too.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2013, 1:20 PM
Mark,

Here's what I put on the bottom of my G0490X fence: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000902/4003/slick-strips-34-width-132-thick.aspx. Available at Woodcraft.

glenn bradley
07-15-2013, 2:20 PM
I applied a small piece of teflon tape to the lug so it didn't drag the top.

I did as well. Not necessary but, I'm just that way ;).

I used UHMW tape designed for drawer runners (slick tape). It has been in service since 2008 and is still in good condition. I just sanded the bottom of the foot with some 400 grit, wiped it with naphtha and put on the tape.