PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to id this 12" jointer.

Bryan Deel
07-14-2013, 8:08 PM
I am thinking of buying this jointer, and understand the concerns about the square cutter-head. I would like to identify it so I can research whatever might be available about it. I have used machines this old, but never purchased or tuned one, so any advise in those areas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking, Bryan

peter gagliardi
07-14-2013, 9:07 PM
I know I've seen that make before, but the name isn't coming to me. The owwm folks would have you an answer in short order though.
Peter

paul cottingham
07-14-2013, 9:54 PM
There is a very knowledgeable old iron group over at the Canadian woodworking forum. Bet they could help you.

jack forsberg
07-14-2013, 10:14 PM
There is a very knowledgeable old iron group over at the Canadian woodworking forum. Bet they could help you.

sure does look English. most English planers(that what they call jointers) have fence mounts on the infeed were as meracian are on the the outfeed. the fence does not have gates though. as to tuning them up there no different today for the most part. looks like the two handle on the sides open the table to side open(many of the old planers open the gap at the cutter block for moulding knifes) and the angled way give rise and fall.

Myk Rian
07-14-2013, 10:30 PM
owwm . org is your best bet for info.

jack forsberg
07-14-2013, 10:37 PM
owwm . org is your best bet for info.Might have been at one time but its pretty lane now unless it delta.

Myk Rian
07-15-2013, 2:58 PM
Some people know not what they speak of.

You could also go to vintagemachinery.org and wade through hundreds of pictures.
That's the sister site to owwm

Bryan Deel
07-15-2013, 6:58 PM
Thanks everyone.

jack forsberg
07-15-2013, 9:02 PM
Some people know not what they speak of.

That was my experience there too. but the vintage site is good. that is if it is in fact american ARN:rolleyes: and that was my point. Great source on American ARN like delta(very light on the Canadian delta though) and the more common names but there a loss for any other country IMO. Yes they have British machine but the pool of knowledge is north american. BTW it was like pulling teeth getting the British makers up on that site let me tell you.

jack
English machines

Scott Britton
07-16-2013, 7:34 AM
Perusing the Vintage Machinery website, it looks a "Greaves Klusman"

Myk Rian
07-16-2013, 8:12 AM
That was my experience there too.
I meant you.

paul cottingham
07-16-2013, 10:07 AM
I meant you.
I will assume you are being ironic. Jack is a pretty darn knowledgeable guy who has rebuilt some pretty impressive equipment. He is very generous with his knowledge and time.
not that he needs me sticking up for him, of course.

Myk Rian
07-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Yes, I'm aware of Jack's rep.
My point is that the site is good for any older machine, except Asian made, not just Delta. Many professionals hang out there, with a lot of knowledge.
Since Bryan is not getting any ID help here, my suggestion was/is to go to owwm/vintagemachinery.

jack forsberg
07-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Perusing the Vintage Machinery website, it looks a "Greaves Klusman"

Good one Scott!

Could be a Dietz, Woermann & Co seeing that it does not have Greaves Klusman name cast into it. and they were the successors. I can't read this book here in Canada but you may down there and this book is not on vintage machinery BTW. like i said vintage is a great site the other is to much to weed through IMO.
Have not seen Jeff Smith on there for some time know.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=JQBUMwEACAAJ&dq=Dietz,+Woermann+%26+Co&hl=en&sa=X&ei=onXlUZupOs_a4AOrs4DwDQ&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA

jack
English machines

Bryan Deel
07-19-2013, 8:48 PM
I found a photo of a Greaves Klusman on here and I think we have a winner. It has a manufacturers plate instead of being cast into the base, which would explain the rust and roughness under the paint. Thanks folks!