PDA

View Full Version : Oneway 1224 Lathe

Jack Wood
05-23-2005, 8:38 PM
Does anyone here own a "Oneway" Lathe or know about them? How do the compare to a "Powermatic" or "Delta"?
THANKS!:)

Jim Becker
05-23-2005, 11:06 PM
OneWay is considered one of the premium lathe manufacturers and a "step above" the mass market brands, such as PM and Delta...and a large step above the latter. The 1224 has been out a couple years now and grew out of their original small lathe, the 1018. These smaller OneWays are well liked by owners (my previous lathe was a 1018 before I bought my Stubby 750) as they bring the highest quality to smaller turning environments. All the quality of their $5000 big machines; just scaled down.

That said for similar money, IMHO, the PM 3520A is a better buy than the OneWay 1224. Not-quite twice the swing capacity and weight, too.

Barbara Gill
05-24-2005, 5:15 AM
I have a Oneway 1640. It is a totally awesome lathe and worth every penny. I am unable to compare as I have not turned on a Powermatic or a Delta. I turned on a 1224 at John Campbell; that is what made me decide to buy a Oneway.

Glenn Hodges
05-24-2005, 6:04 AM
Barbara, when I was at John Campbell I also turned on the same lathe. Was it still in the back right corner of the shop? An entire week of turning with someone to answer all your questions, now that is a wonderful place for woodturners come away with a sense of money well spent, and an over all good feeling about all the woodturning knowledge you have learned. Now that the heat is on in South Georgia, I really miss the cool weather of the mountains. Thanks for the memories Barbara.

Jack Wood
05-24-2005, 6:20 AM
Jim are the accesories for the Oneway more expensive also? And secondly is the lathe proprietary in it's accesories?

Matthew Clarke
05-24-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi Jack,

I own a Poolewood Lathe (Euro 2000) and almost all of my accessories are made by Oneway. Just make sure that whatever you purchase has an adaptor for your lathe. For example, to use their Coring System, I had to ask for a 2" wide clamp for the lathe bed, for the Stronghold Chuck I needed an 1 1/4 x 8 tpi adaptor. If you are not sure about what you need, give them a call. It is a really great company to work with.

Good luck,

Matt Clarke

Barbara Gill
05-24-2005, 4:07 PM
Yep Glen. It was next to the last on the left facing the front. I am not sure what kind was behind me. I offered to switch so someone else could use it but when there were no takers, I didn't push the point. :D

Richard Wolf
05-24-2005, 4:46 PM
Barbara, I happen to see you run a saw mill. God that sounds so interesting. I'm sure all of us would love to see some pictures of the mill in action. Any chance??

Richard

Dan Lanicek
05-24-2005, 5:29 PM
Maybe someone can help me out in understanding something regarding the 1018 and 1224, I'm not that familiar with Oneways. These lathes have outboard spindles but they are different sizes than the inboard spindles (1x8 vs. 3/4x16). Also there is no outboard bed to mount a tool rest. Are the outboard spindles not meant for turning work/hollowing? The headstock doesn't move or swing so it seems to me that hollowing would be a pain. Am I missing something here?

I have a Jet mini and hollowing was doable but is not as easy as it is with my Nova 3000 with rotating headstock. Of course, getting the headstock to line back up with the tailstock is kind of a pain. A headstock that moves on the bed (like the PM3520) seems to be the best solution to me.

I don't do a lot of big stuff and the 1224 looks like the perfect next lathe for me except for this one issue.

Steve Rowe
05-24-2005, 6:50 PM
Hi all. I have a Oneway 1640 and it is absolutely awesome. I have turned on the 1224 at Marc Adams school and it is a great lathe and suitable for almost everything I wanted to do. I was seriously looking at the 1224 but opted for the larger lathe because of the outboard turning capability. The 1224 does not have outboard turning capability. With respect to hollowing, I always do it on the inboard side and simply reverse the lathe rotation to get the best angle of attack. The 1224 lathe has reverse capability.

The woodturning club I belong to has the Delta lathe that runs about $2K. It was a gift from Delta for which we are all grateful (never look a gift horse in the mouth) but, it can't hold a candle to the Oneway. I know nothing about the Powermatic and have never turned on one.

Steve:)

Barbara Gill
05-24-2005, 7:58 PM
Richard, there are a couple of pictures on the sawmill portion of our web page.

Richard Wolf
05-24-2005, 8:39 PM
Richard, there are a couple of pictures on the sawmill portion of our web page.

Thanks for the heads up. Great home page with very interesting stuff. Looks like you and your husband have some great things in your life.

Richard

Jim Becker
05-24-2005, 11:16 PM
Jim are the accesories for the Oneway more expensive also? And secondly is the lathe proprietary in it's accesories?

OneWay prices their accessories "fairly" for the most part...they are all very high quality. No, the lathe is not proprietary in it's "interfaces"...1" x 8tpi spindle threading and MT #2 for both the spindle and the tailstock. They supply a "safe" drive center and the complete revolving center setup as well as a nice 3" faceplate with the machine.

Steven Wilson
05-25-2005, 12:52 AM
I've turned on the Powermatic 3520A and it's a fine lathe but not nearly as well finished, smooth, or as precise as my Oneway 2436. I also like the Oneway in that it's quite easy to customize it to suit the work you do; I like its flexability. Other lathe's in a similar class I would consider are the Vicmark, Poolewood, and Stuby.

Blake McCully
05-25-2005, 8:44 PM
Barbra,
I got 3 9", 3 6" and 11 8" trivit blanks out of the wood I got from you. The three 6" are in the initial finished stages (what does that mean?) and an 8" getting worked over now.

Thanks again. Might be down in October.

Later.

Barbara Gill
05-26-2005, 5:08 AM
Great Blake. Glad you made it home ok. Give me a shout when you will be in the area.

Dennis Yoder
05-26-2005, 2:42 PM
Barbara, I think we were all to excited about Allen's class that we didn't realize the superiority of the Oneways. I used yours on my next class and loved it. Alas the pocket book said PM3520a. Will try to stop by the next time I am in your area. Dennis

Bob Borzelleri
05-26-2005, 4:04 PM
I just did a quick Google search on Poolewood lathes and came to the impression that they do not have any US dealers. One such reference mentioned that they ship all over the world. If that is the case, I think we might have a new shipping cost leader in the competition with the Craftsman planer that cost $339 to ship across the street or across the US.

Does anyone know of US dealers or, how much would shipping be if one orders direct from G.B.

...Bob

John Shuk
05-26-2005, 4:12 PM
Poolewood has one US dealer and that is David Ellsworth. You can reach him through his site at the following link. He is very good about returning e-mails. I sent him one last week and got a very quick response. My friend bought a Poolewood (Matthew Clarke) and the service has been outstanding as well as the quality of the machine.
http://www.ellsworthstudios.com/david/schoolwood.html

Barbara Gill
05-26-2005, 4:28 PM
Barbara, I think we were all to excited about Allen's class that we didn't realize the superiority of the Oneways. I used yours on my next class and loved it. Alas the pocket book said PM3520a. Will try to stop by the next time I am in your area. Dennis

Ok Dennis, it would be good to see you. I am making trips to Jacksonville now that our daughter lives there.

Bob Borzelleri
05-26-2005, 4:32 PM
Thanks for the link, John.

Roger Bell
06-30-2007, 10:24 PM
I found a used 1224 about a year ago. High quality all the way around. The tool rest/banjo/tailstock adjustments are especially nice and smooth. Once I had tasted VFD, I wouldnt ever want to go back to belt changing. Oneway's customer service is also excellent.

I imagine that I will eventually upgrade or get a second lathe for larger bowls...an emerging interest of mine..........due 12.5" swing of the 1224. If you don't plan on turning larger (over 12") bowls or extra long spindles, the 1224 is quite nice for the "midi" class. The only thing it doesnt have (for its size class) that I would appreciate having would be a sliding headstock.