PDA

View Full Version : New car MPG.

Dave Lehnert
07-14-2013, 3:41 PM
Is there a place on the web where owners post actual MPG they are getting with their model cars.

ray hampton
07-14-2013, 5:48 PM
Dave, are you looking for one web site that will cover all models of cars at once

Jeff Monson
07-14-2013, 5:54 PM
Is there a place on the web where owners post actual MPG they are getting with their model cars.

Good luck on that one Dave, your best source would a forum to find real owners, that post real numbers. Consumers digest may be another avenue.

Dave Lehnert
07-14-2013, 6:13 PM
Dave, are you looking for one web site that will cover all models of cars at once

Yes, ;Like to compare

Brian Kent
07-14-2013, 7:28 PM
This looks like a good bet:
https://www.fuelly.com/

ray hampton
07-14-2013, 7:34 PM
Dave, the name " consumer report may be what you need that will cover all makes and models, the Jeep owners got their own web site but I not sure if other sites are out there , did you try the driving club A A A ?

Dave Lehnert
07-14-2013, 11:10 PM
This looks like a good bet:
https://www.fuelly.com/

Thanks, Have to check it out closer.
I looked up my F150 I own now. The average they show I cant get anywhere close to that.

Dave Lehnert
07-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Dave, the name " consumer report may be what you need that will cover all makes and models, the Jeep owners got their own web site but I not sure if other sites are out there , did you try the driving club A A A ?
Thanks, Checking out AAA my be worth a look.

Bob Turkovich
07-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Dave,

Interesting question which makes me wonder why you're looking for such a site. If you're looking for vehicle-to-vehicle comparisons then you're better off going to the EPA's site. MPG is significantly affected by variables such as driver habits, local ethanol content and ambient temperature and the EPA site will at least give you a standardized test comparison. I would be surprised if any on-line user-entry database would pick up those issues.

As an example of the variable affect, I picked up a 2013 Dodge Charger earlier this year - EPA highway label is 31 mpg. After putting on about 1000 miles, my son & I took it on a one-day 450 mile road trip that was 60% freeway/ 40% 2-lane rural. Ambient for the day varied from 55 to 75 degrees. A/C was on for part of the trip. Maximum cruising speed did not exceed 75mph. We got 33.0 MPG.

48 hours later, my wife, daughter and I took the same vehicle on the exact same trip. Ambient varied between 30 to 50 degrees, hence, no A/C. Given the extra person and what we were carrying in the trunk, there was about 150 lbs. more than the trip 48 hours earlier. Max cruising speed did not exceed 80 mph. We got 29.5 MPG - a difference of 3.5MPG. I doubt any on-line database would pick up those "test" differences.

Now, if what you're interested in is seeing if others are getting anything near the EPA label for a specific car, then I suggest that you search for a blog for that specific vehicle. The site that Brian suggested - while it may be somewhat useful - didn't include a breakdown of driver habits and in the case of the vehicle noted above - did not differentiate between the 5 speed and 8 speed V6 versions of the vehicle (which has about a 5 mpg highway label difference).

Frank Trinkle
07-15-2013, 1:16 AM
I learned some time ago that the stickered highway MPG for automobiles is based on actual tests... BUT those tests are done at 55MPH on a perfectly flat road on a day with no wind. So if you were to duplicate the testing conditions, you would probably end up with the same result. (One variable may be the quality of gasoline used for the test as well. Ethanol reduces MPG)

Bob Turkovich
07-15-2013, 8:57 AM
I learned some time ago that the stickered highway MPG for automobiles is based on actual tests... BUT those tests are done at 55MPH on a perfectly flat road on a day with no wind. So if you were to duplicate the testing conditions, you would probably end up with the same result. (One variable may be the quality of gasoline used for the test as well. Ethanol reduces MPG)

The highway test actually averages around 48mph. The posted number then includes factors based on special tests which go as high as 70 mph. The test procedure can be found at this link:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

The thing that one needs to be careful about is that a 2 mpg EPA difference between 2 vehicles may not stay the same at different operating conditions. Each OEM uses different techniques particularly for the city number (for example, transmission shift strategy or EGR cycling) to try to optimize the number. Based on one's driving habits, that 2 mpg vehicle difference could be higher or lower. The EPA numbers - as it would be for any "real world" comparisons - should be used for just that - a comparison under a specific set of driving habits.

You're right about the ethanol.

Brian Elfert
07-15-2013, 12:25 PM
I believe fueleconomy.gov has real world numbers from people who care to add them to the site. I have a 2012 Grand Caravan. Hwy rating is 25 MPG. I've been getting 26 to 27 MPG on highway trips even with 10% ethanol gas.