PDA

View Full Version : Woodpecker 18" Precsion Triangle Deadline...

Derek Arita
07-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Just in case you didn't know, this One Time Tool is open for preorder till, I believe, the 22nd. If it's like their other precision stuff, it pretty much dead on. I missed out on the last run, so I made sure to not miss out on this one. I'm still waiting for the 18" and 26" Precision Square to rerun.

Jacob Reverb
07-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Wow, $150 for a triangle. http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/eek7.gif I'm apparently in the wrong business!

Does anybody really need an 18" triangle to build a birdhouse? http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/lol8.gif

scott vroom
07-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Wow, $150 for a triangle. http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/eek7.gif I'm apparently in the wrong business!

Does anybody really need an 18" triangle to build a birdhouse? http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/lol8.gif

Yeah, I just placed my pre-order for that 18" square.....I must be nuts to pay that much, but on the other hand I've spent twice that amount on throw away "precision" framing squares that I use for (out of square) casework layout.

If there's a more accurate square for less $ than the Woodpecker 18" then someone please show it to me.

Paul McGaha
07-14-2013, 3:01 PM
Really nice tools.

I have the 12" and 26" precision squares.

I have one of their 24" T squares, It's really good at squaring up my drill press fence.

PHM

Keith Outten
07-14-2013, 3:20 PM
These work pretty good, half inch thick and much cheaper :)

Derek Arita
07-14-2013, 3:40 PM
I've purchased several precision squares, Starret, Mitutoyo and others up to 24". I can't find a more true and light weight, right angle, than the Woodpecker squares and triangles. For guide rail squaring they are fantastic. Also great for marking your workpiece.

Mike Heidrick
07-14-2013, 4:17 PM
Folks would be shocked at the "precision" of a $6 square at an Art store. Even the cheap alum ones at Menards. Its not hard to make a precise triangle.

Jacob Reverb
07-14-2013, 4:53 PM
I bet if they painted them puke green, they could get a couple grand for them!

Derek Arita
07-14-2013, 5:33 PM
I bet if they painted them puke green, they could get a couple grand for them!

Probably, under another badge, they would fetch a higher price. Lucky for us.

Keith Outten
07-15-2013, 4:44 PM
Drafting triangles (Art Store) are very accurate and inexpensive. They are available in a wide range of sizes and you can get an adjustable triangle that is nice to have in a woodworking shop. I expect you can also order them from McMaster Carr.

Derek Arita
07-15-2013, 4:57 PM
Will they maintain their trueness and can you get them 1/4" thick?

Jacob Reverb
07-15-2013, 7:48 PM
Will they maintain their trueness and can you get them 1/4" thick?

For $150, I'd go to a metal fabricator and get him to cut out a gross of them on his plasma table. Then again, I don't build furniture for NASA.

Derek Arita
07-15-2013, 7:53 PM
For $150, I'd go to a metal fabricator and get him to cut out a gross of them on his plasma table. Then again, I don't build furniture for NASA.
If you can do that and have them come out as accurate as these, you might have something there. Good large squares are hard to find, especially if they're less than $150.

Jacob Reverb
07-15-2013, 7:54 PM
A 12" Starrett has always worked fine for me. If I ever need more accuracy than that, I'll make a triangle. I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying one; it's just that $150 for what you get is about 19 steps beyond absurd, at least to me. YMMV.

Derek Arita
07-15-2013, 8:06 PM
A 12" Starrett has always worked fine for me. If I need more accuracy than that, I'll get a theodolite off the auction site for $50.

Cool. I used my 12" Starrett for guide rail alignment too. For me, it seems easier to use a larger square or triangle for that, as long as it's accurate. I was using a 24" Starrett, but it's pretty heavy. By the way, what'ss a theodolite?

Keith Outten
07-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Drafting triangles are normally about 1/8" thick acrylic. I don't think I have ever seen them available in any other thickness.
The Woodpecker triangles are certainly worth the money when you consider they are anodized and have graduations.
Personally I feel the graduations are not really necessary but they are nice to have on any layout tool.
I make the large Corian triangles for my shop from 1/2" thick material which is very stable and the thicker material makes it easy for me to pick them up and handle them. these can be made by any of our Members who own CNC Routers.
If you want clear acrylic triangles in just about any size or thickness there many members here who own Laser Engravers that can cut thick acrylic and engrave the graduations. Awhile back I made a very large french curve for someone that was 1/4" thick acrylic, it turned out real nice so any of our laser owners can provide the same service......check our Friends of The Creek Directory and you will find plenty of people here who can provide a host of services like custom triangles, squares, jigs and fixtures.

We started the Friends of The Creek Directory so Members of this Community could connect with their peers here and hopefully find access to a world of services that are right here within this Community. Check it out, its the red link on the menu bar.

Years ago I laser cut and engraved 6" by 4" carpenter squares from clear acrylic and engraved my business name and phone number on them. I used these as business cards but they were dead on accurate so they could be used in a shop if necessary. Just another idea of what you can get here at The Creek on the FOTC Directory. In fact somewhere in our archives I uploaded the Corel Draw drawing for the squares.

Derek Arita
07-16-2013, 5:53 PM
Thanks Keith! 1/4" thick, clear acrylic and true to the thousandth would be awesome! Will the acrylic hold its trueness?

Keith Outten
07-16-2013, 6:37 PM
Derek,

Acrylic (Plexiglass) is a very stable material and is not affected by moisture. It will expand and contract when exposed to major changes in temperature, as will aluminum, but not the range you will see in a workshop. If cut by a laser engraver you can expect very close tolerances, much more precise than most CNC Routers and the edges will have a glass smooth finish. There are plenty of people here who own laser engravers with tables that are 24" by 36" and some with 36" by 48" tables so very large triangles are possible. Kern laser engravers frequently have 4 foot by 8 foot tables.

Jacob Reverb
07-16-2013, 9:02 PM
true to the thousandth would be awesome!

http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/lol8.gif The wood you're cutting will move about ten times that much if you so much as breathe on it.

Derek Arita
07-16-2013, 9:42 PM
http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/lol8.gif The wood you're cutting will move about ten times that much if you so much as breathe on it.

I know, but I like to think that when I cut it, I cut it as exactly I could.