PDA

View Full Version : Weeping Mulberry Jar

Curt Fuller
07-14-2013, 10:25 AM
My wife has a friend that gave me a piece of wood a while back. It was from a tree her husband cut down that apparently caused a little strife in their family. She loved the tree, he hated it, he cut it down one day when she wasn't home, and you can guess the rest of the story. She wanted something to remember her dearly beloved tree. (and probably to remember to make her husband's life miserable for cutting it down). By the time I got the wood it was cracked badly and then I forgot all about it. A few days ago she came by and saw some of the jars I had done and told my wife to have me make one of those from her piece of wood. First I had to go find it and then I had to see if it was even still usable. But this is what I came up with, a very cracked Weeping Mulberry jar. About 6" x 6" and finished with satin WOP.

Doug Herzberg
07-14-2013, 10:42 AM
That's what we like, wood with a story! I'm all stressed out just reading about it.

The jar is really nice. The lid and handle fit nicely with the rest of the jar and whole thing has a nice soft feel to contrast with the rough texture of the wood. I think you helped me with a wood id, too.

I could see her baking cookies and filling the jar every day, then one day after he's lulled into a routine she substitutes a mouse trap or cactus plant. It's a little too big for mulberry jam, unless she makes enough to drown him in it.

Gary Sichmeller
07-14-2013, 10:59 AM
I really like your style with these jars. You are an inspiration to me to try to duplicate what you are doing. Really good style and use of a piece of wood to bring out it's best.

Thanks for sharing.

charlie knighton
07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
nice form Curt, and if you knew before hand how it would look.......we probably would have seen it before hand

just never know.......not brown and round almost

Dennis Nagle
07-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Good looking shape and good looking wood....and a story.....not bad. Did you do anything to stabilize the wood first or while you were turning?

jwjerry w kowalski
07-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Really nice Curt, love the simple style and the wood is great looking.

Steve Doerr
07-14-2013, 6:21 PM
Curt, I really like the shape that you created for this piece. The lid and the knob really complement the whole piece. I also like the colorization of the wood. I'm going to have to give that shape a try.
The story reminds me of some people that I'm talking to. They also have a mulberry tree, and it is loaded with burls. It is not in the best of health and he is ready to cut it down but she likes it. So I guess it is just a waiting game until I get a call.

Mike Peace
07-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Very attractive form. I like the way the rim is proud of the lid.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-15-2013, 12:13 AM
I have to agree with the others Curt......I really like that form and the wood is beautiful.

David Gilbert
07-15-2013, 2:38 PM
It's a lovely jar and will get better looking as the mulberry darkens with age.

Cheers,
David