PDA

View Full Version : Track Saw For Lefties?

phil harold
07-14-2013, 9:52 AM
Since I have lost most of the strength ,2lbs max with arm extended, in my right arm I am trying to do things more with the left an accuracy is wanting
So the question is are there tracksaws that work better for south paws?
Yes I have guides I made but interested in track saws

thanks

Jamie Buxton
07-14-2013, 9:57 AM
I have a standard track saw (a Festool TS55), and I most often push the saw with my left hand. One of the characteristics of a track saw is that zero eye-to-hand coordination is required; the saw can only go along the track.

Jonathan Leong
07-14-2013, 10:11 AM
I have a standard track saw (a Festool TS55), and I most often push the saw with my left hand. One of the characteristics of a track saw is that zero eye-to-hand coordination is required; the saw can only go along the track.

Agreed. With my ts75, I usually rip with left handed grip while cross cut with right due to my room. Just place your vacuum on the side opposite your body with respect to the track so that the vacuum hose doesn't interfere with your arm as you push towards the end of the cut. A boom arm to lift the vacuum hose also minimizes interference or drag.

Rich Engelhardt
07-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Jamie got it - the track holds the saw captive.
Left or right hand makes no difference.

Jim Neeley
07-14-2013, 2:36 PM
I know there was a discussion here in another thread (I avoided it) on lefty's being forced right.

FWIW, my parents led me in a different way, one that's benefitted me. They let me use my dominant hand but insisted I avoid the "crutch" of left hand specific tools since they said they often would be unavailable. For example I use right handed scissors, a right handed circular saw and even a right-handed bolt-action rife, all left-handed. And yes, I can work a right-handed bolt with my left right up there with the rightys. Left-handed scissors feel weird in my hand.

A +1 on there being no real hindrance to using a RH track saw left-handed. Even with a plain old circ saw the only difference is the sawdust is thrown on you rather than away from you. All the better justification for investing in DC (honey, you don't want me tracking all that sawdust into the house, do you? :D ).

Jim in Alaska

Jim Matthews
07-14-2013, 4:39 PM
http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=CS5

Bosch still makes a saw with the blade to the left of the motor.
It's my opinion that these are designed to keep the saw blade away from the user's body for safety reasons.

If you're using a track, with supporting tables under the workpiece, it might not be necessary.
Have you considered one of the integrated table/track systems?

I'm an unabashed fan of the EZSmart stuff from Eurekazone, but there are others out there that similarly capture the workpiece
and suspend the saw on the track. If you're having side dependent weakness, a way to keep everything "on track" is a reasonable precaution.

http://www.amazon.com/EZ-ONE-Woodworking-Center-Eurekazone-USA/dp/B00APNJ6DY

phil harold
07-14-2013, 5:00 PM
I have a PC left sided blade, nice light saw
since money is decreased since I have had these multiple surgeries I want to make sure I get the best for less...

I have always used a right sided saw in my left hand for cross cutting ply wood sheets, but never did like all the dust it dumps toward me

Thanks for the Commments

Mike Goetzke
07-14-2013, 5:22 PM
Your can cut on both sides of the Eurekazone track.

Aleks Hunter
07-14-2013, 5:53 PM
+1 on the eureka zone tracks, They are symmetrical and you can attach just about any saw to the sled.

Tom Ewell
07-14-2013, 5:54 PM
Yep, just use your left handed saw strapped into the EZ

ray hampton
07-14-2013, 7:52 PM
when using a track saw , do you saw from the bottom of the wood or from the top ? if you saw from the top down then gravity will help you

Jim Matthews
07-15-2013, 7:44 AM
The track is lain on top of the workpiece (generally on some kind of table or sawhorse).

Some clamp on, some just have a non-skid pad on the bottom to resist sliding.
The saw has a plastic track attached (so you lose some cut depth, usually less than 3/4") and rides over the top of the track.

Gravity works in your favor, to hold things down.

Aleks Hunter
07-15-2013, 1:33 PM
I think you're talkinga bout a panel saw. Eurekazone tracks are part of a dead work live tool systel http://www.eurekazone.com/

phil harold
07-15-2013, 2:28 PM
+1 on the eureka zone tracks, They are symmetrical and you can attach just about any saw to the sled.

how much is it a hassle to connect the saw to the sled?
or is it better to have one saw always dedicated to the sled?

phil harold
07-15-2013, 2:39 PM

from what i see you can only use saw the blade on the right...

Universal fit circular saw "smart base" adapts any right bladed circular saw for use on track

Tom Ewell
07-15-2013, 3:26 PM
http://www.eurekazone.com/product_p/aksb-lr.htm

Looks like to me that you can get a lefty upon request, might touch base with them for more info.

Erik Christensen
07-15-2013, 3:41 PM
Your question made me stop and think a bit. I have used a Festool T75 for about 5 years now and broken down hundreds of sheets of plywood with it - 35 in the last 2 months for my kitchen rebuild. I don't think it is a right/left kind of tool - the hand that pushes the saw depends on what you are cutting - which direction the saw is going and where you have to stand to make the cut. I use it lefty maybe 40% of the time but to be honest that is a guess - it really does not make any difference if I use my dominant hand to push the saw, it's just as easy to go 'leftie' to the point where I never pay any attention. The rail has to be in a specific place to make the cut, the saw then has to go in a specific direction so you just use the best hand for that cut. A well built track saw may 'look' like a circular saw but in operation it bears no resemblance to one. I have cut wide 5x5 BB ply with a helper - one starts the cut & the other holds the rail (really not necessary) - when you get halfway - stop the saw & trade places while the other pulls the saw through the rest of the cut. When you look at the finished edge there is NO way to tell where the transition occured.

Jeff Duncan
07-15-2013, 6:30 PM
I honestly can't think of a single tool in my shop where the handing matters? I use whichever is most practical at the time. Left handed scissors.....does anyone actually use them:confused: I've spoken with plenty of other lefties who agree....but there's got to be one out there??? Left handed tape measures? hammers? how about a left handed nail set?

I was never swayed one one or other in which hand to use. I can use either arm for most things and when I was younger could even hit from either side of the plate. Only thing I could never do was throw with my right hand......at least not anywhere near where the ball should have gone:eek:

good luck,
JeffD

phil harold
07-15-2013, 8:17 PM
I honestly can't think of a single tool in my shop where the handing matters? I use whichever is most practical at the time. Left handed scissors.....does anyone actually use them:confused: I've spoken with plenty of other lefties who agree....but there's got to be one out there??? Left handed tape measures? hammers? how about a left handed nail set?

good luck,
JeffD
I have known carpenters that used left handed hammers its all about ergonomics
quick search to see Vaughn still makes them

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Vaughan-999L-20oz-Framing-Hammer-Left-Handed/98665/Cat/1118

beside ergonomics there is the safety issue

swing a hammer right handed for 40 years, pick up a tool, orient yourself infront of your bench to cut a piece of wood, or just try using a drill press with your left hand

it is awkward and unsafe

the lady at the office uses left hand scissors...

ray hampton
07-15-2013, 9:40 PM

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Vaughan-999L-20oz-Framing-Hammer-Left-Handed/98665/Cat/1118

swing a hammer right handed for 40 years, pick up a tool, orient yourself infront of your bench to cut a piece of wood, or just try using a drill press with your left hand

it is awkward and unsafe

the handle on some drill presses can be move to the left side if I am not wrong

phil harold
07-15-2013, 10:14 PM
the handle on some drill presses can be move to the left side if I am not wrong
not my south bend or my milling machine/drillpress

how about my dewalt radial armsaw?

I have had a left tilt table saw for years
really thinking it wood be better to have a right tilt in my condition

Jeff Duncan
07-16-2013, 10:06 AM

it is awkward and unsafe

I believe you but I still have to call BS on the left handed hammer thing. I still remember when HD started selling them and at the time I thought it was just about the dumbest thing I had ever heard of:confused: If you have "good hands" as their called in the trades, you can swing a hammer with either hand. The idea that a hammer be "handed" is ludicrous at best. I never saw a right handed hammer until some genius came out with the left handed version. Think of all those poor carpenters that had to deal with neutral hammers for centuries before someone designed a right handed version:rolleyes: Of course these days it would have to be a right handed nail gun as most carpenters around here rarely pick up a hammer anymore:D

As for drill presses and RAS's and the like, I don't think it's really an issue. Your talking about performing the most mundane task imaginable.....pulling a lever down, or pulling a carriage forward. If a person can't perform that with either hand fairly comfortably, than they probably shouldn't be doing this type of hobby;) What happens when you have to be really talented and use a metal lathe or mill requiring both hands to operate at the same time? I guess those requiring 'handed' tools just couldn't ever use metal working machines and would have to stick with woodworking:(

As for the tilt of the saw....I always though having 2 saws, one of each, would be the ideal setup. Them you really could have the best of both worlds:cool:

good luck,
JeffD

Tom Ewell
07-16-2013, 10:21 AM
I think we've covered the track saw for lefties Q, as far as the other "contest" that's a brewing.... I use my right hand to aim, left to hold open the door and can get it about 10' down stream.
:)