PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Blue/Black Pine

Steve Doerr
07-13-2013, 6:56 PM
Doug Herzberg has posted a couple of his piece of pine that have the blue/black stain in them. I have some that I have turned that has the same type of stain as Doug's. Not sure if it is spalt or if it is the result of pine bark beetles. The yellow pine has a lot of pitch in it and thus when turned thin becomes translucent. (It also makes the shop smell like turpentine.) This piece is 8 7/8" wide by 4 3/4" tall. I have included a couple of different shots of it. A couple with the light showing its translucence and a couple regular. I still have several piece of this lumber and had hoped to core a couple of bowls out of one piece I have but have not been successful. I guess I just need more practice coring. C & C welcomed.
Steve

charlie knighton
07-13-2013, 8:07 PM
very nice, Steve

this also has stain that does not follow the grain lines

Doug Herzberg
07-13-2013, 10:12 PM
Steve, that's beautiful. I love the translucence. Does the pitch gum up your tools?

I've cored some pine with pretty good results and I've launched a few. The wood is so soft, it's hard to keep it in the chuck when coring. I need practice, too.

Curt Fuller
07-14-2013, 9:22 AM
That's really pretty! I like the pics showing the translucence. The Ponderosa pine that I've turned is very similar and the pitch can be messy. But I kind of like the turpentine smell and it seems to hang in the shop for days. I found that wet sanding with WD40 works pretty well. At least it lets the sandpaper keep working without turning it into a sticky mess.

Billy Tallant
07-14-2013, 9:40 AM
Very nice looking!

Steve Doerr
07-14-2013, 6:16 PM
Thanks for the complements.
Doug--the pitch does get on the tools but the worst part is on the sandpaper. It gets gummed up in no time.
Curt--Thanks for the tip on the WD-40. I have to try that. My only question is does the WD-40 stain the wood in any way?
Steve