PDA

View Full Version : Capitals are done.

Mark Yundt
07-13-2013, 5:06 PM
After somewhat of a debacle I got these pieces wrapped up. Basswood. approx. 16" wide X 12" high. One side is removable to allow them to fit around a structural column which is wrapped with a wood column which these will top. Fun , eh?
The first two pics show the plaster model I used as a reference. The plaster ( and many others) are being used in other rooms of the home.

george wilson
07-14-2013, 6:59 PM
They look nice to me!!!!

Roger Strautman
07-14-2013, 9:33 PM
As the norm for you, LOOKING GOOD! The only thing I have is what do these sit on? The acanthus look almost cut off at the bottom. Thanks!

Now on to 1200' of trim. LOL!;)

Mark Yundt
07-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks Roger and George,

This is the traditional way these are carved. The leaves don't really start from anywhere. The Capitals will sit on top of square columns with usually a bit of a plinth type piece or moulding atop the column which these will sit on. Here is an example of a round version I carved which were nearly 30 inches across and approx. the same height. Also done in basswood. But you can see how the leaves around the base work. Check any classical capital in the Corinthian style and this is what you'll see. The other major styles are Doric, and Iconic. Also very nice to look at.

Bruce Page
07-15-2013, 12:21 AM
Incredible work as always Mark!

Mark Yundt
07-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks Bruce !