PDA

View Full Version : Any one else have a Rose Engine lathe?

Ronald Fox
07-13-2013, 3:23 PM
I have been working on making two Rose Engine lathe. One for my Dad and one for me. I finished up my Dad's and delivered it to him on the July 4th weekend. I have made pairs of everything, I have just been taking a little more time on mine. I am hoping to finish mine up this weekend. Here are some pictures of the MDF parts with some Rattle can silver paint.
Any one else out there have one of these Rose Engine lathe and play with it? I am having as much fun making it and various accessories as I will making turned pieces, lol.
Thanks for looking,
Ron

Jim Burr
07-13-2013, 3:35 PM
I've watched Capt Eddie use his quite a bit...little out of my league!

Dale Winburn
07-13-2013, 3:38 PM
I've been doing a lot of research on the Rose Engine lathe. I'm thing about building one in the near future. I think it would be a lot of fun, both building it and using it. Although, like you, I think building it would be more fun.

Dale Winburn

Ronald Fox
07-13-2013, 3:50 PM
I based mine on Jon Magill design, you can find the plans on the web. I was able to round up all the parts except the spindle and flange, which a friend made for me. I modified the design by using a half inch steel rod to pivot the headstock on, instead of using the half dozen machined parts that the plans call out. Seemed simpler and seems to work well for me. Bought the rod at home depot and the brass bushings from Granger and the rod fits nice and tight in the bushings.

Marvin Hasenak
07-13-2013, 4:02 PM
I have played with a design that Jack Chick came up with. Since I basically make game calls, I scaled everything around using a 5/8" shaft as my mandrel for the call barrels. In theory it works okay, but I need to spend some money on rosettes and a better cutting system. I started with a Dremel, shaft and bearings are about useless for accurate work. The homemade rosettes have to be dead on, so far I have only made scrap rosettes. Jack Chick's site with a link for his $200 RE and how it's made. http://grandpachick.wix.com/wood-art-by-jack#!about/component_73913

Richard Coers
07-13-2013, 10:14 PM
I modified a Jet mini and use a small Proxon right angle carver held in an x-y vise for the cutter frame. I also used a gear reduction motor from a Jet sander feed belt to drive the spindle so all I have to do is set the cutter position and watch it work. I use it a lot for Christmas ornaments, but between seasons it sits around a lot. Just the reason I don't invest in the Lindow machine. Just sits around too much.

Marvin Hasenak
07-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Here is another link http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pwguild/o-rosego.htm This one is similar to the Jack Chick $200 rose engine, at least based on the same design style for the headstock. For what I want to accomplish this one and Chick's rose engine design is the easiest and cheapest design to convert.

Dan Hintz
07-14-2013, 9:55 AM
Like Dale, I've researched designs quite a bit and have an interest in building one at some point... I just need to find the room for it :p

Dennis Nagle
07-14-2013, 10:58 AM
It would not be my style to use one of these but I sure was mesmerized by watching the videos. Good luck.

charlie knighton
07-14-2013, 11:41 AM
i considered making one around 2008, upgraded my lathe instead, have acquired burning, carving, painting tools over the years

Marvin Hasenak
07-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Like Dale, I've researched designs quite a bit and have an interest in building one at some point... I just need to find the room for it :p
As I said, mine is for working on game calls, so it doesn't need to be very large, it easily fits in a 12x 18 area. When I set it up I set it on the bed of my lathe, the rest of the time it sets out of the way on a shelf. My expense was the cross slide and my spindle shaft, I had the Dremel, and the wood that I used. Cross slide was around $40, and the spindle shaft was a piece of all thread, less than $5. Now to the upgrades, my cost will exceed a $100, but when, I don't know, as I am building a new shop at our place in New Mexico that has limited my priorities and funds.

Nate Davey
07-14-2013, 2:10 PM
What part of NM?

Marvin Hasenak
07-14-2013, 2:29 PM
Ruidoso, straight south of you.

Nate Davey
07-14-2013, 2:57 PM
Beautiful area,

charlie knighton
07-14-2013, 3:25 PM
Marvin, could you post a picture of your small rose engine, i have a dremel and a cross slide, the cross slide is for a drill machine,

is it possibe for me to rig something, i do some small boxes......

Ronald Fox
07-14-2013, 4:18 PM
I picked up a cheap rotary tool at harbor freights for $16.50, after the sale and 20% coupon. I have it mounted to a 6" HF vice in a wood fixture I made. I also made a fairly simple fly cutter for the rotary tool and sharpening jig from some metal I picked up from HomeDepot. I have ordered some aluminum, brass rod and bushings to make a horizontal cutting frame (HCF), but the fly cutter will tide me over until I upgrade to the HCF, lol.
Thanks for looking,
Ron

Dan Henry
07-14-2013, 9:54 PM
I have made 2 MDF lathes, 1 for my own use and one for a turning club. I used my for about 3 years and learned a lot about the world of ornamental turning that the learning curve is very steep. I now have a Lindow White lathe that I bought used and have upgraded it to almost all of the available equipment. One of the hardest lessons was I tried to use a Chines heavy duty cross slide for about 4 years and after using Hardage slide i realized this one of the most important tools that one needs to do precession work.

Dan

Marvin Hasenak
07-15-2013, 1:37 AM
Marvin, could you post a picture of your small rose engine, i have a dremel and a cross slide, the cross slide is for a drill machine,

is it possibe for me to rig something, i do some small boxes......
Check out the 2 links I posted, mine is similar t Jack Chicks, but I rigged mine with a mandrel for duck call barrels instead of a chuck . I am also in New Mexico and mine is in storage back home in Texas. It will probably stay there until I get my shop built in New Mexico/

brian watts
07-15-2013, 6:18 PM
Check out the 2 links I posted, mine is similar t Jack Chicks, but I rigged mine with a mandrel for duck call barrels instead of a chuck . I am also in New Mexico and mine is in storage back home in Texas. It will probably stay there until I get my shop built in New Mexico/

would like to see some of your calls what you did with the rose engine.