PDA

View Full Version : Double Squares

George Bokros
07-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Wanting a 6" double square here are the considerations...

Pinnacle @ Wood Craft $44
iGaging @ Wood Craft $32
Starrett at Amazon Warehouse Deals $68

I am not opposed to the Starrett but do not want to turn down the others if they are good quality.

I do have several Starrett squares that I got when my father-in-law passed away and treasure them. He was a journeyman patternmaker and worked in both wood patterns and metal patterns, was a great machinist also.

Thoughts?? Opinions??

Thanks

George

George

Frederick Skelly
07-13-2013, 12:03 PM
George, I dont mean to hijack your post. But I was wondering: what would I use a double square to do that a good combo square or just a good set of engineering squares doesnt give me? (I have a nice starrett combo square.) Am I missing a really handy tool? Thanks Sir!
Fred

George Bokros
07-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Fred,

They are small and easily carried in your apron, easy to work with as a marking gauge, and for great tool set up. I have a 4" and turn to it quite often. I have a Starrett combination square, and a Starrett 24" with a protractor head that is really nice for checking flatness, laying out on sheet goods and squaring large face frames and cabinets. I also have a Starrett 6" engineers square I use often.

George

Rodney Garson
07-13-2013, 12:46 PM
I have a 4 inch iGaging double square that I like and I am surprised at how much I end up using it. I'm sure it's not like a Starrett tool ( I've never owned or used one), but it's square, cheap and works for me. They also seem to be cheaper here in Canada. Here's where I got mine: http://www.kmstools.com/search/results?inc_subcat=1&search_in_description=1&categories_id=&keyword=Igaging

Dick Latshaw
07-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Have a look at Lee Valley 6 inch. I've been happy with my 4 inch.

Mike Henderson
07-13-2013, 2:03 PM
I have both the Lee Valley and the iGaging. Both are good. I have both the 4" and the 6". I use the 4" more.

I like double squares for some work a lot more than combination squares.

Mike

Matt Meiser
07-13-2013, 2:56 PM
http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/ProductsEngineering/7105-4R.html

I've gotten a few different blemish squares from them--nice!

Mike Henderson
07-13-2013, 3:08 PM
http://store.harryepstein.com/cp/ProductsEngineering/7105-4R.html

I've gotten a few different blemish squares from them--nice!

Wow, that's a good price. I see that the 4" is only $13 ($15 for the 6" for those of you who didn't follow the link). I don't need any more but I'm tempted. What's that old saying? "You can never have too many clamps or double squares?"

Mike

Brett Bobo
07-13-2013, 3:19 PM
"You can never have too many clamps or double squares?"
Mike

Exactly right, you can't have too many double squares! Typically, i keep two in the tool belt at all times. As mentioned, take a look at the Lee Valley double squares. Also, take a look at the double squares made by PEC Tools on Amazon, for example. They are reasonably priced and if I recall, they make double squares for several name brands. Don't overlook eBay either as I've purchased two Starrett double squares in the price range you are looking at, around $40.

Bob Lang
07-13-2013, 7:50 PM
But I was wondering: what would I use a double square to do that a good combo square or just a good set of engineering squares doesnt give me? (I have a nice starrett combo square.) Am I missing a really handy tool? Thanks Sir!
Fred

One of the big advantages of the double square to me is that I can set it to gauge a distance, and I still have a square in my hand or pocket to check things with. I rarely use the 45 deg end of any of my combo squares, and I gauge and mark distances all the time. I like the 4" size and have a Starrett, but I like the one from Veritas as well.

Bob Lang

glenn bradley
07-13-2013, 8:15 PM
+1 on multiples. To Fredrick's question as to how valuable a double square is if you have a combo; I have three 4" doubles and two 6". Some of mine are PEC (makers for Lee Valley, Woodcraft, etc.) that I picked up at a good price during a special. They match my old Woodcraft one exactly. I do like that their imperial models have the head milled to imperial dimensions (3/4" x 1/2" x 2-3/8" on the 4" for example) unlike some others (Rockler for one) I have seen. I keep a 4" at the bench, by the router table and by the large bandsaw. I keep a 6" on the hand tool rack and near the bench as well. When they come by at under $20, a spare is well worth the investment to me. YMMV.

Harvey Melvin Richards
07-15-2013, 9:52 AM
I have a 4" Starrett that I bought new around 10 years ago. Out of the dozen's of squares that I have, the Starrett is one of the least accurate. I still use it a lot for marking though.

Ethan Melad
07-15-2013, 10:20 AM
i have one of the woodcraft ones i think (steel with blue paint), and it was good for a couple years, but the spring and locking screw have now crapped out. i'll probably go with lee valley or starrett in the near future.

Robert LaPlaca
07-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Wanting a 6" double square here are the considerations...

Pinnacle @ Wood Craft $44
iGaging @ Wood Craft $32
Starrett at Amazon Warehouse Deals $68

I am not opposed to the Starrett but do not want to turn down the others if they are good quality.

I do have several Starrett squares that I got when my father-in-law passed away and treasure them. He was a journeyman patternmaker and worked in both wood patterns and metal patterns, was a great machinist also.

Thoughts?? Opinions??

Thanks

George

George

The Starrett six inch double square has a hardened head, squares with hardened heads are less likely to wear and have accuracy issues going forward, hardened head squares are also more expensive than plan cast iron heads, even within the Starrett line of squares..

Mike Henderson
07-15-2013, 11:49 AM
The Starrett six inch double square has a hardened head, squares with hardened heads are less likely to wear and have accuracy issues going forward, hardened head squares are also more expensive than plan cast iron heads, even within the Starrett line of squares..

That's true. But for me, I'm much more likely to lose the double square than wear it out. I have quite a few double squares that I bought for cheap. They're accurate and if I lose one, I won't cry over it. If I bought Starrett, I probably wouldn't have bought so many of them, and if I lose a Starrett, I'd cry over it.

Mike

Dell Littlefield
07-15-2013, 12:48 PM
I just ordered two 13A Starret double squares from Amazon for $6.30 each. They should have 14 left

George Bokros
07-15-2013, 1:01 PM
i have one of the woodcraft ones i think (steel with blue paint), and it was good for a couple years, but the spring and locking screw have now crapped out. i'll probably go with lee valley or starrett in the near future.

PEC makes the Woodcraft and the Lee Valley squares. If you want an inexpensive one buy the PEC branded it is cheaper than either Woodcraft or Lee Valley for the same quality.

I bid on a Starrett on eBay, waiting to hear.

George

Cliff Polubinsky
07-15-2013, 1:01 PM
I just ordered two 13A Starret double squares from Amazon for $6.30 each. They should have 14 left

12 left now

Duane Meadows
07-15-2013, 1:04 PM

WOW! What a deal. Just order 2 myself!

glenn bradley
07-15-2013, 2:28 PM
Thanks, you just cost me $10 :p.

Duane Meadows
07-15-2013, 3:25 PM
Hmm... they pulled that quick! Hope these orders stand!

dan sherman
07-15-2013, 5:14 PM
Hmm... they pulled that quick! Hope these orders stand!

I was going to say, I was like those are way to cheap...

Kyle Iwamoto
07-15-2013, 5:23 PM
Day late and dollar short...... Wonder what the price should have been......

dan sherman
07-15-2013, 5:42 PM
Day late and dollar short...... Wonder what the price should have been......

$63.00 maybe?
http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-13A-Double-Square-hardened/dp/B0002FUM2Y

Duane Meadows
07-15-2013, 5:58 PM
Well if you still want to have a go at it, try here...

http://www.reidsupply.com/sku/STR-13A/

I make no guarantee, but if they honor their advertised price...

John M Wilson
07-15-2013, 7:37 PM
I gave it a shot -- showed "out of stock", but they took my order.

Now we'll wait & see...

Daniel Rode
07-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Reid Supply's site says it's out of stock and shipping is steep but for that price, I ordered it and it'll come when it comes.

Greg R Bradley
07-16-2013, 1:53 PM
Reid Supply is a normal supplier of industrial tools. They aren't a liquidator of overstocks or seconds. I'm sure the listing of the price at $6.30 is an error. Starrett's official list price is $63.00 so $6.30 probably just indicates a typo of one less zero. It will be interesting to see if they actually ship the items. I suppose there is a chance that they will actually ship their entire inventory of 14 or so tools but I would think you have almost zero chance of them filling backorders before they figure out the error.

I have Starrett 13A and PEC 4" double squares. The PEC at $34 is every bit the equal of the Starrett at $63. The Harry Epstein link is a terrific deal on seconds that are almost firsts except for the name ground out and a tiny pit or two in the head.

If I had seen the Amazon link during the few minutes it was live, I would have bought all 14. IF I received them I would have sold them on eBay for $50 or so. If I didn't have any squares, I would have bought from HJE: 4" & 6" double squares, 6" combination square, 12" 4 piece combination square, 18" & 24" blades. I then would have bought a Woodpecker 1281, put my name on the list for a 26" or 18" square, and kept the rest of the money from selling the Starretts on eBay to people who want to pay for the name.

John Cooper2
07-16-2013, 2:31 PM
Careful with the Reid order,

I ordered a couple at $6.30 ea, when I went to the checkout they where $63.00 ea. Just caught it just before I pulled the trigger.

Ethan Melad
07-16-2013, 4:27 PM
PEC makes the Woodcraft and the Lee Valley squares. If you want an inexpensive one buy the PEC branded it is cheaper than either Woodcraft or Lee Valley for the same quality.

George

good to know, thanks

Well if you still want to have a go at it, try here...

http://www.reidsupply.com/sku/STR-13A/

I make no guarantee, but if they honor their advertised price...

just ordered 2 - they're out of stock, but say they'll have more in 3 weeks. we'll see if they honor the price...

Cliff Polubinsky
07-16-2013, 8:21 PM
Interesting. I ordered 2 at 6.30 and they show they've shipped at 6.30.

Cliff

Cliff Polubinsky
07-17-2013, 6:05 PM
Two Starrett 4" Double Squares were on the porch when I got home. Thanks Dell for the heads up on the Amazon sale price.

Cliff

Greg Hines, MD
07-17-2013, 6:49 PM
I use one made by Woodpeckers for their one-time tools project, and it is machined out of aluminum, as a single piece, and I have never had any troubles with their products.

Kevin Groenke
07-17-2013, 7:47 PM
That $6.30 pricing mistake is why I should be watching SMC every day. DANG.

Grizzly has the iGaging 4" on sale for $7.95
http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Double-Square-with-4R-Blade/T24356

and the 6" for $12.95 (unlike the Starrett and PEC, this 6" has a wider blade and a bigger head)
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Double-Square-with-4R-Blade-and-Bubble-Level/T24357

For what it's worth, I've used them all, the PEC is a close second to the Starrett, the iGaging pieces are ok, but they don't operate as smoothly out of the box. With a little attention with a file and some emery cloth they're pretty close: the price is right, so we buy them for student abuse.

glenn bradley
07-21-2013, 9:41 AM
My Starrett showed up in good shape. It is a bit of a disappointment as the head is not in imperial dimensions like the PEC's. The PEC is 1" x 1/2" x 2-3/8" which is handy (not the 2-3/8" so much but, you get the idea). The Starrett is smaller at about 24mm x 11mm x 58mm. The rule is 4R, hardened and very easy to read. The tool is lightweight, well made, and well finished. A good price and it will be handy and useful in my shop.

Keith Bohn
07-21-2013, 11:05 AM
My two cents, I prefer a combination square over a double square because, when using a double square for layout work it's real easy to confuse which end you're working from when the head is near dead center. Other times, when the head is at the more extreme end of the scale, no so much/no big deal. With a combination head, you never have that problem. I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but it only take one mistake to leave a sour taste in you mouth.

bill tindall
07-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Ditto, I use mine more for measuring and marking than squaring. It stays on the bench during construction as it gets used frequently. The Veritas is as good as the Starrett in my opinion. I use the 4" more than the 6.