PDA

View Full Version : Info on Steel City tools, particularly 35990 table saw

Mike J Lewis
07-13-2013, 8:31 AM
I'm new to this forum, but looking for info and feedback on Steel City Tool Works products. I recently bought a 35990C TS and I'm very happy with the construction and performance; HOWEVER- I was going to purchase some parts (spare belt, 0 clearance insert, etc.) and now I can't get anything to come up on the mfgr website. When I sent my warranty papers in, they were returned as undeliverable. Did SCTW finally go belly-up after their near-miss in 2010???? If so, does anyone know of a supplier that may still have parts in stock for my 35990? I would also be interested to hear from anyone that owns or has experience with the 35990 TS. Everything I could find led me to believe it was a great saw for the price, but it does make me nervous that I may not be able to get warranty work done now if I do need it. Many thanks!

glenn bradley
07-13-2013, 8:46 AM
After their wonderful work as Orion, Steel city came on strong around 2007 IIRC. I have never gotten a clear story of what happened but, the next couple years were tough on them. They made a "come back" splash in 2010 and the original folks who started it up seemed to have sold or lost the company to an involved party. Here is some info from an old cached webpage. I know the phones were off-again/on-again for awhile. If this was a recent purchase I would go to the retailer and ask them for help contacting their supplier. If they sold the tool knowing that SCTW was going out . . . well, I want to be able to get parts for my larger machines and I do factor that in when choosing as there are a few of them that I plan on "driving to the tomb".

HTH,

For Customer Service-related items
Including Warranty, Parts, Service, Technical Questions
1-877-724-8665

If you are a Dealer or have a General Inquiry, contact us directly
For Product-related calls, please use the Customer Service number above.
1-888-304-8840

scott spencer
07-13-2013, 9:12 AM
I haven't heard any recent news about SC, but their website won't even come up for me....hopefully just a glitch with the website, and an odd coincidence with the paperwork.

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/

Paul Wunder
07-13-2013, 9:58 AM
Steel City Tool Works is not on the exhibitor list for this year's IWF show in Atlanta. Also, they are not on next year's list (and the 2014 list seems almost full)

Denny Rice
07-16-2013, 5:16 AM
SCTW seems to be posting on Facebook? I wonder whats going on?

scott spencer
07-16-2013, 6:22 AM
Their website (http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/) is back up and working too.

Brett Robson
07-16-2013, 9:19 AM
I had my warranty cards returned as undeliverable a couple years ago. It seemed they were printed with their old address and never updated to their new address in CA I think . I ended up registering my machines on their website.

glenn bradley
07-16-2013, 1:46 PM
I hope they hang in there. The original folks sure brought out some innovative approaches to "usual" machines. They breathed some excitement into a section of the market (my section actually) that was a bit sleepy.

Jay Jolliffe
07-16-2013, 1:51 PM
Their still in business . I went to Facebook & asked....

Joseph Tarantino
07-16-2013, 6:18 PM
just for fun, i called SC today and requested a call back. a CS rep did call back and noted all is well. telephone numbers are working and the website is back. when they run their sales , i htink they have some products that offer a lot of utility for the price.

Mike J Lewis
07-16-2013, 6:34 PM
Thanks for the helpful posts. I called the customer service number several times over the last few days, always got the same recorded message regardless of day or time. Today, I went ahead and left a message with my number for a call back- and much to my surprise I got one just a few hours later! Very helpful rep on the phone, so bought a dado and 0 clearance insert, a couple of belts, misc nylon/plastic bolts and knobs, etc. I'll use it all over a period of time, but if they ever do close the door and turn out the lights, at least I should be able to keep the saw going for a good long while. Which is good, because I really like the saw so far. Took me several hours to put it together and get everything lined up, but the cabinet-mounted trunnions are solid and easy to adjust and the top is dead-flat and square. I hope this ends up being an heirloom tool. Many thanks again for the helpful comments.

Denny Rice
07-17-2013, 2:45 AM
I was a huge fan of SC when they came on the market in 2007. Their CS was top notch (and it still might be) as I haven't had any problems with the two machines I own that were made by Orion / Steel City. I will admit though a lot of Woodworking retailers in my area like Woodcraft and Rockler have steered away from SC products and it happened all of a sudden. When I asked a mgr. of my local Woodcraft a few years back he complained about how hard it was to get product from SC and to get anyone to answer the phones too..I hope SC has these problems fixed, they make a good product for the most part.

Brett Robson
07-18-2013, 12:32 AM
they make a good product for the most part.

Yup, I agree. I have 4 SC machines and have been pleased with all of them. They make good stuff given their price point.

Curt Harms
07-18-2013, 5:52 AM
I hope they hang in there. The original folks sure brought out some innovative approaches to "usual" machines. They breathed some excitement into a section of the market (my section actually) that was a bit sleepy.

If my memory serves, the original Steel City staff were refugees from the 'real' Delta(Not B&D and after). They weren't at Steel City long though, no idea what happened.

Mike J Lewis
07-20-2013, 8:12 AM
I received all of the items I ordered from SCTW in good order and I was able to register my saw for warranty now that their website is back up and running. Looks like I was jumping to conclusions when my warranty card was returned and their website went down (my wife says I do that often :confused:). Anyway, all is good with the world and I'm heading out to the shop to make a massive pile of sawdust! :D

Jay Jolliffe
07-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Wrong thread I answered....:(

scott spencer
07-21-2013, 7:26 AM
If my memory serves, the original Steel City staff were refugees from the 'real' Delta(Not B&D and after). They weren't at Steel City long though, no idea what happened.

I think you're memory serves correctly Curt. I don't know the whole story, but I've heard that Scott Box is now operations manager for General International USA.