PDA

View Full Version : My "disappointment" with my new Shaptons...

Harold Burrell
07-12-2013, 6:01 PM
OK...here's the deal...

I just got my order from Stu. He has GOT to be one of the coolest guys on the planet! His prices and service and packing and EVERYTHING are absolutely without equal! But, I digress...

Anyway, I got my stones. I had already ordered Stu's "Special Set" of Sigmas last year and loved them. In fact, it totally sold me on waterstones. So...I thought to add to my collection. I had heard some good reviews on the Shaptons, so I picked up a 1000 and a 12000. Cool. They were perfectly packed (as usual). I took them out of the box, unwrapped them and decided to play with them. All I got to do was flatten them before something else came up...

So...finally...today I got to use them. I pulled out my trusty Veritas MKII (stop snickering) and proceeded to sharpen a chisel. I had kind of gotten used to the Sigma 1000, because this Shapton thing didn't at all feel the same. I was kind of surprised. I checked for a wire edge...yep...but it's kind of small...

I went to my Sigma 6000...no problems there.

Now to finish it on the other Shapton. Now this one feels REALLY weird. I mean, NOTHING like I was expecting. To top it off, I checked the "polish" on my edge and it was...well...anything BUT polished.

I was a tad disappointed, to say the least.

Then I had a thought...

"Harold...are you sure you remember which stone is which???"

"Well, yeah...the white stone is the 1000 and the orange one is the 12000, just like the Sigmas. Right???"

I then looked it up online.

:o

I started over with my sharpening.

They worked a whole lot different after that.

I think it was because I had to break them in...

Jim Matthews
07-12-2013, 6:06 PM

Have you started wrapping your fingertips with bandaids, while sharpening?
If the freshly sharpened blade doesn't get you, the stones will.

The stones, they're sneaky.

Hilton Ralphs
07-12-2013, 6:22 PM
Well the good news is that you didn't cross contaminate from the coarse to the fine :)

Winton Applegate
07-12-2013, 9:42 PM
I have heard these hieroglyphic symbols can be deciphered to help determine the coarseness of the stones. Only . . .
I can't read.

As far as the "feel" I felt them and felt that they feel fine. I had SWMBO feel them and she said that she felt they felt fine too. I then called one of the neighbors over to feel them but they ran away while I was briefing them on our mission.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I suspect you will be wanting to sell off those CONFUSING and INFERIOR Shapton stones.

I'll give you ten bucks a peace with free shipping to my door.

Don't mention it.
Glad to help.

Winton Applegate
07-12-2013, 9:49 PM
I'm A Dog
Well !
If I knew you were going to post a photo of me . . . I would have . . .
. . . . I mean . . .
oh never mind