PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever see a belt-feed drum sander for rent?

Mark Burnette
07-12-2013, 1:32 PM
I'm planning to install cedar siding on my cottage this summer and it's recommended that the wood be sanded before finishing to insure penetration of the finish. I can't afford the hit right now to purchase a drum sander but would rent one--if available and if a weekend rental doesn't exceed the cost of buying one :)
Can't say I've ever seen one in a tool rental place. How about you?

Mike Hollingsworth
07-12-2013, 2:32 PM
plenty of uses for such a machine
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-Drum-Sander/G0716

Mark Burnette
07-12-2013, 2:39 PM
Such as sanding...
and sanding...

and then some more sanding...

:)

bobby milam
07-12-2013, 9:09 PM
Try a small cabinet shop or something similar and see if they'd run them thru their drum sander for a reasonable charge. I buy my wood from a craigslist ad and the guy has his own sawmill and industrial sized sander. Someone like that would probably do it.

Just out of curiosity, where are you located? If you were near me, you could use mine.

Aaron Berk
07-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Post your location and someone might be close enough to be friendly.

If your close to me I'd make a deal with you.

jack forsberg
07-12-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm planning to install cedar siding on my cottage this summer and it's recommended that the wood be sanded before finishing to insure penetration of the finish.

was the guy unloading sander's when he told you that/"LOL cedar will compress in grain when power sanded and if latex finish is used it will raise it again for raised wood grain finish. Can't think of any other purpose but surface finish other than that.

jack
English machines

Mark Burnette
07-13-2013, 12:37 AM
The sanding is to open the pores burnished by planing ("mill glaze"). Both products I'm considering using--Sikkens SRD and Sansin SDF include sanding as a necessary step to insure deep penetration. For what these products cost and the amount of labor involved in applying (not to mention correcting a bad application), it seems prudent to do the sanding.

Post your location...

It's always been there across from my name.

Rick Fisher
07-13-2013, 1:17 AM
Drum and wide belt sanders are pretty sensitive.. Super easy to run them over current and easier to burn the paper .. If I had a portable one, I wouldn't probably lend it out..

Ronald Blue
07-13-2013, 9:22 AM
I'm with Rick on that. I haven't run a lot through my drum sander but some of what I did was fir or pine. It loads the paper easily. I have stalled it once but that was my fault because the glue up had some taper to it and unlike a planer a drum sander does handle that well when the thick end goes last. I wouldn't likely lone mine out or even rent it.

Mark Burnette
07-13-2013, 1:10 PM
So the short andwer looks to be that nobody has ever seen one in a rental outlet.

Rick Fisher
07-13-2013, 1:15 PM
Mark .. I have a rental yard.. We wouldn't rent one even if Hilti made it.. Paint sprayers are bad enough ..

Mark Burnette
07-13-2013, 10:40 PM
If not available for rent I thought I would seek a used one...but if they're that delicate I dont even want it.

bobby milam
07-13-2013, 10:53 PM
If not available for rent I thought I would seek a used one...but if they're that delicate I dont even want it.

Mine hasn't seemed to be delicate. I got a good deal on it. Found it on craigslist for trade and traded a stationary bike for it and about 50 rolls of paper. Actual cost to me was $200. Best $200 tool that I have. I'd give up my planer before the drum sander.