PDA

View Full Version : Picnic table wood suggestions

Joe Unni
05-23-2005, 5:13 PM
Hey all,

I've got a hot customer (well, the job is hot) http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/wink.gif that needs a picnic table replaced. The old was made of redwood and covered with a redwood stain and apparently has been around for about 20 years. Are there any other wood alternatives that I could offer? The customer made a point that she want this built just as sturdy as the old and "wants it done right!" As I've not built a picnic table before, Norm's plans seem to be VERY sturdy.

This table will be covered with the same redwood stain so the really nice woods would almost be overkill IMHO.

Also, thus far, budget does not seem to be an issue.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
-joe

Frank Pellow
05-23-2005, 5:33 PM
My first choice for all outdoor furniture (and decks and fences) is cedar!

Bryan Nuss
05-23-2005, 5:47 PM
I agree with Frank ... I like cedar. You can stain it if you wish, or leave it natural, or put on a couple coats of urethane spar varnish. Use brown-tinted non-staining cedar deck screws. I would recommend using 2 x 6's and 2 x 4's.

Doug Shepard
05-23-2005, 7:19 PM
Hey all,
I've got a hot customer (well, the job is hot) http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/wink.gif that needs a picnic table replaced. The old was made of redwood and covered with a redwood stain and apparently has been around for about 20 years....

This is almost exactly the same situation I was in last summer when I rebuilt my parents picnic table - except theirs was maybe 30 years old. Other than making the new one about 6" shorter than the old one, I just took the old one apart and took measurements and angles and patterned the new one after it. Didn't need to spend any money on plans.
I checked on prices for staying with redwood, and also checked on cedar, but was put off by the cost. I'd already built some other outdoor furniture out of Ipe so I decided to go that route. The only twist was that when I went to one of the few Ipe dealers around here, they'd been cleaned out of 2x6's from a large deck job and wouldn't have more for about 2 weeks. They mentioned they had an Ipe alternative called Garapa that was very similar to Ipe in terms of outdoor durability. So after asking some more questions, that's what I ended up with. A tiny bit lighter color and weight than Ipe, with all the same gluing/finishing reluctance. A table out of either Ipe or Garapa will weigh substantially more than redwood or cedar, but that can also be thought of as a theft deterrant. Either will probably last forever.

Joe Unni
05-23-2005, 7:39 PM
My first choice for all outdoor furniture (and decks and fences) is cedar!

I thought of cedar, but is it not a bit soft for a picnic table?

Carl Eyman
05-23-2005, 8:32 PM
I have used Spanish Cedar for outdoor use (as well as indoor). It is very easy to work with, depending on your locale may or may not be expensive, and is weather resistant.

Mike Stanton
05-23-2005, 9:01 PM
:D I have been making picnic tables here for the last 6 years. Cedar is a greatwood it will last for years. Redwood is also good but cost more.What style of a table are you making?I can give you my ideas if you wopuld like. I had a guy order 40 tables last year but I only could make 10 for him because I was making bird houses for a kids clinc. Send me a prvite message if you want help Mike :D

Frank Pellow
05-23-2005, 9:13 PM
I thought of cedar, but is it not a bit soft for a picnic table?
I don't think so. Sure, the table will absorb a few dents but that only adds to the its character. By the way, we have cedar picnic table that I made 38 years ago and it is still in good shape. I have sanded it down and refinished it twice during that time.

Dale Thompson
05-23-2005, 9:19 PM
Joe,
Cedar would be MY choice for all of the reasons mentioned above. :)

Dale T.

John Daugherty
05-23-2005, 9:49 PM
What about cypress? It’s a beautiful wood. It also works easily.

Matt Allan
05-23-2005, 10:38 PM
If money is not an issue.. What about teak? Harder on your tools but should do a great job and last a long time. Could get a little more for the wear on your tools out of them.

Steve Cox
05-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Personally I like yellow cedar (or Alaskan Yellow Cedar) because it has the same rot resistance as other cedars but is harder. I don't know availability or price over on that other coast.:p

Joe Unni
05-24-2005, 8:24 AM
If money is not an issue.. What about teak? Harder on your tools but should do a great job and last a long time. Could get a little more for the wear on your tools out of them.

Matt,

Teak would be great, but there is no way I would let it be covered with a red stain as the customer has requested.

Good thought just the same.
-joe