PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Plane ID

Andrew Kertesz
07-12-2013, 10:19 AM
I have a Stanley/Bailey #5c but am unsure about what type it is. It has the 3 patent dates behind the frog and the smaller adjuster at 1". All the info I find tells me this should be a Type 11 except that the knob is 2 5/8" tall. From what I could find the type 11 had the low knob. At this height is it considered low? If not; any ideas on the type or does it really matter since it is just a user anyhow. Everything is original and needs some cleaning; what about value. I have some planes that I have multiples of that I need to sell to fund another purchase. This is one of them. Thanks...

Sam Takeuchi
07-12-2013, 10:34 AM
If knob is original, I think that's late type 11/early type 12. That's a high knob. You can tell a low knob, as it looks like a mushroom flattened on top unlike round and well proportioned high knob. This type study is not absolute as parts didn't get thrown away at the change of specification. They simply used up parts from previous spec until they were used up, so there's always mix and match planes around the change of so-called type. It's quite normal. It doesn't matter if you want it for user unless you have preference for one type of knob to another. I personally like low knob.

Value wise...it's just like any other No.5c of the era. Depending on the condition, it can be anything from $30 to $50 online. It's not particularly rare or valuable as it's one of the most abundantly available planes in vintage market.

Jim Koepke
07-12-2013, 10:44 AM
+1 on what Sam said.

If you prefer the low knob, it can be changed it requires a new bolt shaft.

jtk

Andrew Kertesz
07-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info. I didn't anticipate the value being very high, especially somewhere along the line I have accumulated 3 of the #5's. I'm thinking they are all different types based on patent dates behind the frog. Any reason a person would need multiples of a given number such as 4's or 5's?

Hilton Ralphs
07-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Any reason a person would need multiples of a given number such as 4's or 5's?
Set-up to take different thickness of shavings and also different camber on the blades.

Probably going overboard but you have them already so why not.

Thankfully we're not allowed to do that with wives.

Harold Burrell
07-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Any reason a person would need multiples of a given number such as 4's or 5's?

Yes.

Because I have multiples.

And I have found that they tend to become rather lonely otherwise.

Andrew Kertesz
07-12-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm thinking mine are going to get a little lonely. I am trying to fund a new purchase and will be thinning the herd so to speak. I have at least 3 #4's that are going to be listed and at least 1 #5 if not 2.

Shawn Pixley
07-12-2013, 10:02 PM
I have three number 5'S or jacks. the main one I use is a type 11 with a replacement Hock iron in it (the original was badly pitted when I got it). I have a type 13 that was my great grandfathers. It has more sentimental value to me - he taught me to play snooker in my youth. I also have a LN LA jack. I use this for larger work or using the toothed iron.

i notice that I prefer to uses the knob and totes more when I have stripped the finish off. It's to the point that I start this way with any plane is going to be a user (meaning all of them except my great grandfather's)