PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Dan Case LR
07-12-2013, 10:05 AM
After weeks of shopping, hunting and gathering, I finally fired up my new 1221VS and turned something last night. I started out with a couple of blanks I cut from some cheap Sap Gum my wood purveyor suggested as a good, cheap practice wood ($2.35/BF -- the only thing cheaper on his price list is knotty white pine at $2.30). I mounted the first blank, rounded it with my spindle roughing gouge, and proceeded to mess around for a while with different chisels and gouges, made a couple of beads and coves, and started cutting a tenon on the tailstock end when I decided to practice cutting the tapered tenon I'd need for the Oneway ferrules I'd picked up for my tool handles. I cut a tenon fairly close to the template I had, one thing led to another, and I ended up turning a tool handle.

Without a hole for the tool.

Which led me to a deeper understanding of why it's best to drill the hole first. Suffice to say that if I had a wood stove in my shop, that piece would be there now.

I then proceeded to drill out the other blank and turn my first real, usable tool handle. Not by any means a candidate for any beauty pageants, not a stunning or creative design, just a handle made from the cheapest hardwood money can buy. My original intent was to toss it and make the real handle from something prettier and more respectable, but instead I sanded it to 150 and hit it with a little Watco natural just to see how it looked.

And I ended up with a perfectly functional handle for my 3/8" spindle gouge.

Which leads me to the question in the subject line: Why? Why have I waited so long to buy a lathe and try turning? I don't think I've ever had more fun in one night with my clothes on. I forced myself to quit around midnight because I had to get up this morning and go do something to support this pricey habit--but I still hear that piece of Canarywood in my shop calling out to me. Even that piece of Beech wants my attention. It's going to be hard to focus on work today.

In all this joy, there is one thing that bothers me, though. I'm already scanning the shop to see if there are any machines I don't need--something I can sell to raise a little cash. I'm gonna need a bigger lathe. :D

D.

Peter Blair
07-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the Vortex Dan.
I had my Oneway for quite a while before I realized I no longer needed:
thickness sander
thickness planer
6" long bed jointer
12" band saw - needed bigger
spindle shaper
Need I go on.
There have been a few times when I almost wish I had kept the planer and jointer but when I spin something and use my Kobra hollowing system or one of my other new tools I soon decide I made the right move.

Doug Herzberg
07-12-2013, 11:07 AM
So it begins. Enjoy.

1. On the wood, consider turning green wood:
A. It's free (call a tree trimming company or just look around).
B. It's fun.
C. Practice is easier when you're not worried about the cost of materials.
D. You'll need the money for the new lathe, and many, many accessories and must have additions to your shop.

2. On the lathe, there's a lot you can do with what you have. Bigger can be useful and, in some cases essential, but let yourself grow into it. Lathes are like motorcycles in that regard.

3. Don't get rid of the other shop tools. You can use them to display finished turnings and store blanks. If you get into segmenting, you might even use some of them.

4. Hair is overrated.

Rick Markham
07-12-2013, 11:09 AM
"Hook, line and sinker!"

Welcome to the vortex you've passed the event horizon! Resistance is futile! :eek::p

That "turned" out to be a pretty nice tool handle! (very punny, I know...) Plus you learned something (other than turning is AmAzInG)

You should be proud of the tool handle it looks pretty good for a first go, it's got some nice curves on it.

FYI for future reference: Tool handle - hole = bonker

Glad to see that you've found what makes turning special, now go make a ton of curlies (and some more handles!)

bob svoboda
07-12-2013, 11:51 AM
The handle looks great! Welcome to the vortex. I agree with those that maintain the best type of wood is anything FREE! The best way (IMHO) to progress is to just jump in and make chips and use the rejects to heat your space. ENJOY!!

Kyle Iwamoto
07-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Nothing wrong with that handle. Good job. Better than MY first handle.

I fully agree with getting free wood. However that usually means the purchase of a good chainsaw to attain free wood.

Has anyone mentioned "vortex" yet?

Steve Doerr
07-12-2013, 1:35 PM
Glad to have another addict, I mean turner, among us. Like Doug said, wood is free if you know where to look or who to talk to. One of the tools you will definitely need if you don't already have is a chainsaw. It makes it lots easier to cut up the tree lumber into useful blanks, But you must learn to cut out the pith and then seal the ends. Good luck and welcome aboard.
Seve

Michelle Rich
07-12-2013, 3:45 PM
handle looks fine to me..after drilling the hole, you could then have re-turned it & it would have centered...don't get rid of your tools yet & hold off on the bigger lathe..that 12" can make most of the stuff you see on turning forums..You can now make furniture with turned parts