PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up a Shopsmith 10ER

Joe Montague
07-11-2013, 9:02 PM
I've got a Shopsmith 10er that I would like to set up as a wood lathe for turning furniture spindles. I'd love to hear from anyone who uses the 10er, specifically what chucks and motor you use.

Tim Leiter
07-11-2013, 9:45 PM
I have a 10er. I bought an adapter that has a Shopsmith 5/8 hole in one end and 1X8 TPI on the other end for one of my chucks. I also bought a live center with an M2 taper for the tailstock end. I got both, including 2 of my chucks from Penn State Industries. I haven't tried the lathe on the Shopsmith yet, I have been using my Jet 1014 or my other small pen lathe. I plan on using the Shopsmith for some longer mallets I want to make, just haven't tried it yet. The big problem that I will probably have is that the Shopsmith is quite short for using as a lathe. I also plan on raising either the whole table/bench or just the ends of the tube/support assembly to the correct height for a lathe, elbow level I guess. From what I have read the lathe will be too short and would probably cause back problems from leaning over too far. Hope you get yours figured out. Oh, I have the original 1/2 horse AO motor and from what I have read it should be enough power for what I need. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Here is a quick picture of my Made in USA old 'arn. 266284.............Tim.

Bob Coates
07-12-2013, 4:48 PM
Go to yahoo groups and search on Shopsmith10ERusers these guy/gals have all the answers. I use mine for a lathe etc for years, now mostly as disk sander. It was my Dad's and still in very good condition.

Tim Leiter
07-12-2013, 5:02 PM
Here is a good Shopsmith forum too. I use this one all the time. They have people with all models of Shopsmiths, including 10e and 10ers. http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/forumdisplay.htm?f=1 .....................Tim............(I found this one easier to use than the Yahoo Group, just my opinion.)

Joe Montague
07-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the replies and the links. It looks like I've got an original 1/2 hp motor as well. The machine is bolted to a very strong wooden bench which is about 32" high. This week I finally got around to prying open the sliding drawer under the bench that's been stuck shut since I brought it home. To my surprise it was stuck because it had been grossly overfilled with a mish mash of parts, chisels and ancient dust bunnies, including a dirty but very nice set of old Sheffield Marples & Sons chisels. There was also a drive center and dead center which fit the 10ER. It looks like I've got what I need to start turning simple furniture legs and stretchers.

Tim Leiter
07-19-2013, 1:25 PM
Good find in the drawer. Have fun with your ER.............Tim.