PDA

View Full Version : Chalice and Communion Bowl

James Combs
07-11-2013, 8:11 PM
A custom wood based communion chalice.
Customer wanted a natural edge walnut chalice inlaid with turquoise. I suggested a glass one with a walnut base. Will detail some special construction later.

Finished with several coats of satin WOP.

A comparison of size to the mating communion Bowl, detail the bowl in next post.

Thanks for looking

James Combs
07-11-2013, 8:13 PM
This is the mating bowl. Same finish except triple buffed.

C&C Appreciated.

James Combs
07-11-2013, 8:24 PM
Here are some pics that detail the retaining system I came up with for the glass in the base. I did not like the idea of gluing in a glass that was going to be used frequently. I wanted someway to remove the glass for cleaning and I didn't want glue to show under the glass.

Basically I used a 3/8" copper compression fitting, removed the brass compression rings and substituted nylon ones. I turned the nuts round and slotted one to use a coin to turn it. The other is tightened onto the stem of the glass goblet which happened to be real close to 3/8" in diameter. I think the rest is self explanatory.

Thanks for looking. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

James Combs
07-11-2013, 8:38 PM
A couple more pics detailing the retaining system.

The retainer is hidden behind this snap-in/out piece of black plastic.

BTW the glass goblet is a 18.5oz Libby Endura.

Jim Burr
07-11-2013, 9:01 PM
Very very well done JD...a blessing to be sure!

Steve Mawson
07-11-2013, 9:08 PM
Quite the unique way to attach the glass, will make it easy to keep clean. Did you score the stem to break off the bottom? Would believe the folks you make it for will be very pleased. Excellent work.

John Keeton
07-11-2013, 9:18 PM
Nice work, JD! That engineering background sure comes in handy, doesn't it!

Greg Just
07-11-2013, 9:44 PM
Very nice and thanks for sharing the details on the chalice. One question is how did you cut the glass? I have a friend that wants a wine goblet and I might just have to do something like you did.

Ray Bell
07-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Very well done James in design and execution.

James Combs
07-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Very very well done JD...a blessing to be sure!
Thanks Jim, I "previewed" it to the customer prior to coming up with the retention system and she like what she saw, I think she will really like this. I had told her that wooden stems were normally glued but I wanted something else and she sure.

Quite the unique way to attach the glass, will make it easy to keep clean. Did you score the stem to break off the bottom? Would believe the folks you make it for will be very pleased. Excellent work.
Thanks Steve, I had ordered a diamond burr for my Dremel but got tired of waiting and since I had a dozen goblets I just laid the stem across a piece of wood place a chisel at the point I wanted to break it and tapped it with a hammer, it broke at that point without problem. It was a little on the diagonal but still usable. I now have the diamond burr and will score the next one.

Nice work, JD! That engineering background sure comes in handy, doesn't it!
Thanks John.;):D

Very nice and thanks for sharing the details on the chalice. One question is how did you cut the glass? I have a friend that wants a wine goblet and I might just have to do something like you did.
Thanks Greg, scoring is probably best but I got lucky with one, see my comments to Steve above.

Very well done James in design and execution.
Thanks Ray, always appreciate atta-boys.;)

Rex Guinn
07-12-2013, 8:35 AM
Very nice JD, to bad I have not seen you at the meetings lately, must be two busy doing all this kind of thing.

bob svoboda
07-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Very imaginative and nicely done for sure!!

James Combs
07-12-2013, 9:20 PM
Very nice JD, to bad I have not seen you at the meetings lately, must be two busy doing all this kind of thing.
Thanks Rex, as for the meetings, strictly economics, it's about a $20 round trip for me, the meeting is well worth the $20... if I had it.

Very imaginative and nicely done for sure!!
Thanks Bob, appreciate the comments.

Doug Herzberg
07-12-2013, 10:22 PM
They turned out really nice, JD. I was a little skeptical when I saw the first post, but they're just beautiful. My one question was did you choose a glass from a big manufacturer with consistent quality control so it can be easily replaced, but you answered it in the last picture.

James Combs
07-13-2013, 10:25 AM
They turned out really nice, JD. I was a little skeptical when I saw the first post, but they're just beautiful. My one question was did you choose a glass from a big manufacturer with consistent quality control so it can be easily replaced, but you answered it in the last picture.
Thanks Doug, replacement of a broken globe was one of the first things that came up in the initial discussions with the customer so I did some research. I don't know much about the restaurant/bar business but Libby seem to be a big supplier so I order from them hoping they will be around for a couple years. After that it probably won't matter much. My chalice is not warranted but I told the customer I would fix a broken globe at cost.