PDA

View Full Version : Great deal on a craftsman 15" planer

Tim Morton
05-23-2005, 4:59 PM
saw this over next door, and thought it was worth mentioning.
Go to sears.com and search for the planers. They have a 15" planer that looks like all the big boy's for $499, marked down from$1250...might want to consider it if you are inthe market. Item number is 00922615000

Vaughn McMillan
05-23-2005, 5:52 PM
This planer looks like it would be just the ticket for my needs, and the price looks pretty tough to beat. I just wish I was set up for 3-phase 220V in my garage/shop...we really need to upgrade the main electric panel on the house, and when that's done I'll look into putting a 100 or so amp subpanel in the garage. Gotta take things in order though, and getting more storage space built is the first priority, so I can clear out more junk from the garage and reclaim the space for my shop. It's the ol' cart before the horse thing. ;)

- Vaughn

Tim Marks
05-23-2005, 6:06 PM
There is a hidden gotcha here.

You gotta pay $339 for shipping. Unlike other machinery, you can't pick this up at the store and avoid paying shipping.

Once you throw in sales tax, it comes out almost the same price delivered as a Yorkcraft or Grizz 15" planer.

Tim Morton
05-23-2005, 6:13 PM
This planer looks like it would be just the ticket for my needs, and the price looks pretty tough to beat. I just wish I was set up for 3-phase 220V in my garage/shop...we really need to upgrade the main electric panel on the house, and when that's done I'll look into putting a 100 or so amp subpanel in the garage. Gotta take things in order though, and getting more storage space built is the first priority, so I can clear out more junk from the garage and reclaim the space for my shop. It's the ol' cart before the horse thing. ;)

- Vaughn

its single phase 3HP motor, so you would need 220, but not 3-phase

Tim Morton
05-23-2005, 6:16 PM
There is a hidden gotcha here.

You gotta pay $339 for shipping. Unlike other machinery, you can't pick this up at the store and avoid paying shipping.

Once you throw in sales tax, it comes out almost the same price delivered as a Yorkcraft or Grizz 15" planer.

That may prove to be the deal breaker there. I was reading that in store pick-up was free, that does not seem to be the case. I wonder if there are any units already in the store, and what are the prices of those units?

Jeff Sudmeier
05-24-2005, 8:23 AM
Yep, I was all over this one, till I saw the shipping!

Robert Mayer
05-24-2005, 8:38 AM
Maybe that shipping price includes a little midget to help hold up the boards after they feed through it?

Matthew Poeller
05-24-2005, 9:08 AM
My Sears had one of these about a month ago. $499, same price. It was already at the store though so there was no shipping. If I am not mistaken this one has some pretty cool features. powered head mover up and down. will accept some molding knives.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Just got done checking the area stores... no dice :(

Todd Davidson
05-24-2005, 6:20 PM
Hmmm......where can I store one more tool until my shop is finished?

Todd Davidson
05-24-2005, 6:50 PM
Does anybody have any experience with this planer? One Sears store here has one and will take the 10% off coupon. Also have a gift card. Would cost me $400 before tax.

Scott Coffelt
05-24-2005, 6:57 PM
Run, don't stop and ask questions....buy, buy, buy.

Tim Marks
05-24-2005, 7:22 PM
One Sears store here has one and will take the 10% off coupon.
Hmm, that is about a 90 minute drive for me.... where do I get one of those 10% coupons? Maybe it is time for a drive...

Geez, what are you waiting for? The store actually has one in stock and will sell it for $400? I don't see a down side here. Have you been there to look at the planer?

Unfortunately, I already have a DW735, and I think my next $500 is pretty much already earmarked for a stationary sander of some sort (spindle or edge sander).

Todd Davidson
05-24-2005, 7:37 PM
Hi Tim~

No, haven't seen it yet - just a phone call. Will check it out tomorrow. Too tired to night for a drive. The 10% off coupons are available from the Craftsman Club web page. They're available each month. If you're not a Craftsman Club member PM me about sending one to you. I have a Dewalt 734 that serves me well but those 2 1/2" and the price might mean an upgrade.....

Tim Marks
05-24-2005, 8:48 PM
...not to mention the fact that I pretty much swore to myself that I would limit my tool weight to about 350# or so.... getting anything larger down to the basement borders on the insane... not to mention that it will have to come back up someday when I move.

Things like this keep popping up on the messageboards, and the "I gotta get me one of those" gene kicks in high gear....

Matt Meiser
05-24-2005, 9:46 PM
Tim, having just moved my 15" Delta into my ground-level shop, I can't imagine trying to get one down the stairs. That said, I know more than a few people have done it. I'd probably want to partially disassemble it. Taking of the motor looks like it would save 75-100lbs.

Bob Weisner
05-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Instead of paying $399.00 for shipping, can someone just pick up the planer at a Sears warehouse? If that could be done, that would save on the shipping costs.

Thanks,

Jeff Sudmeier
05-25-2005, 8:13 AM
Bob,

I checked into this and the simple answer is no. I tried to get three or four diffrent people to let me arrange my own shipping with no luck.

Tim Morton
05-25-2005, 8:19 AM
website is no longer up...so I'm guessing the shipping charge is now a moot point.

Todd Davidson
05-25-2005, 6:48 PM
Had the most aggravating afternoon at a couple Sears stores chasing a phantom planer and then trying to purchase one. The Sears store near me told me last night that another store had one in stock - which I went to this afteroon and, to make a long story short, they didn't. My local store, to try to make up for my trouble, attempted to order one to be shipped to their store so I could avoid shipping charges. No such luck as the planers are sold out and discontinued.
Oh well.... Will say that I'm always impressed by Creeker's willingness to share information, tips, and words of encouragement.

Tim Marks
05-26-2005, 5:36 AM
Had the most aggravating afternoon at a couple Sears stores chasing a phantom planer and then trying to purchase one.

I have always found that "shopping therapy" will help you get over an afternoon like that. Order a PM15s from Amazon, and you will start feeling better right away (until SWMBO sees the CC bill....)

Scott Coffelt
05-26-2005, 9:25 AM
In all pretty much a blessing I guess, in my past experiences with trying to get parts... it may not be long before something needed is not available. Yes, this is a generization, but I've had some of their stuff and needed a replacement part about 5 years later to no avail. There's always the Grizzly line.