PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraving on Pyrex

Richard Mattes
07-11-2013, 5:35 PM
Does anyone have any experience lasering onto pyrex? I have attempted some samples, but heard sever cracking.

If anyone has this info or ability, please let me know.

Richard

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-11-2013, 5:55 PM
Use the Advanced Search feature in the upper right on this forum. There are several posts about engraving pyrex.

Mark Sipes
07-11-2013, 6:28 PM
Welcome to the Creek

Your machine specs would be very helpful..... 25 watt or 300 watt makes a difference.....

I have never had a problem engraving Pie Pan Dishes (Pyrex) 25 watt at 100% and 12% speed (87 in/sec). 70% Black fill on lettering.....

Matt Turner (physics)
07-11-2013, 7:22 PM
When comparing the experience of different people with Pyrex, you should be aware that Pyrex cookware is no longer made the original Pyrex glass. Original Pyrex is borosilicate, which has different properties (e.g. thermal expansion coefficient) than the soda-lime glass used since 1998. A brand-new Pyrex pie pan is going to engrave differently than actual borosilicate.

If you have real borosilicate, there is some relevant discussion here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?200952-Laser-Etching-Fused-Quartz-Tubing. The discussion of using dithered grayscale instead of black is relevant regardless of the material composition.