PDA

View Full Version : Maple Burl Hollow Form

Toby Bouder
07-11-2013, 9:10 AM
I've only done a few hollow forms, this is the first with a lid/finial. I'm happy with the form but the finial needs work. The piece is 7 1/2"h x 4 3/4" wide, the walls are about 1/4", the opening is 1 1/8". The finial is walnut with a ca glue finish (first time I tried this). The maple burl has a coat of walnut oil then spray lacquer. Feel free to comment and make suggestions, I need the help. Oh, and I still don't have a hollowing tool, this was made with a 3/8" and 1/2" Ellsworth bowl gouges.

David Reed
07-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Pretty nice even if not your first. You nailed the form and the finish is very nice indeed. I agree with you re the finial. Not an expert here so will leave the suggestions to those more experienced with them.
Hollowed with bowl gouges? I did my first pieces this way but no way I could get up under the shoulder. Very impressive, but pick up a swan neck (not too pricey) to get up and around the corner. Makes life sooo much simpler.

Steve Doerr
07-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Toby,
I really like the shape of your HF. The wood is also beautiful. If all you used to hollow were two Ellsworth ground bowl gouges--WOW. I personally do not like the finial. I think its shape draws your eye to it instead of to the real turning. I would either get rid of the finial or make it much thinner and do it so that the shape does not compete with the larger HF.
Keep up the good work.
Steve

Rich Aldrich
07-12-2013, 6:06 PM
Nice peice of wood and nice hollow form.

Toby Bouder
07-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks all for your comments, I do appreciate them. I have sent the piece to a local shop to sell, I kept the finial at home.

Peter Blair
07-13-2013, 9:54 AM
Hey Toby, like most of the others I don't care for the finial. Lighter smaller thinner possibly including a section at the bottom that mimics the shape of the hollow form. I like them dyed black. Most impressed with your gouge use though I get nervous with a gouge in a small box with short sides.
If you do decide to get a hollowing tool and can't afford the 'big guys' take a look at DWay tools. Smaller and works really well.

Toby Bouder
07-13-2013, 1:15 PM
Hey Toby, like most of the others I don't care for the finial. Lighter smaller thinner possibly including a section at the bottom that mimics the shape of the hollow form. I like them dyed black. Most impressed with your gouge use though I get nervous with a gouge in a small box with short sides.
If you do decide to get a hollowing tool and can't afford the 'big guys' take a look at DWay tools. Smaller and works really well.
Thanks Pete, I have viewed his video and another review from a guy on you tube. I think that may be my choice.