PDA

View Full Version : Coreldraw "layer" on graphic

Kasey Maxwell
07-11-2013, 1:34 AM
I use templates with lots of the same graphics on them to engrave, some the the graphics have LOTS of nodes, I have seen some of the freeware vector art with "SVG Attributes" and it seems to group the graphic so the nodes are not visible when the graphic is selected, it seems to always be called "layer1" as the graphic when this is done, my question is........how do I do this to a graphic in coreldraw x5 ?

Thanks

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-11-2013, 3:00 PM
Can you post a file? Is it an SVG file that you are working on or is it a Corel CDT or CDR file or something else?

Kasey Maxwell
07-11-2013, 4:02 PM
here is the file, I believe it is a SVG file.

Lee DeRaud
07-11-2013, 5:24 PM
Every SVG I've imported to Corel appeared as one big group, usually with embedded SVG entities as subgroups, so I need to hit "ungroup all" a couple of times before I can do anything useful with it. I don't know if that's a property of SVGs in general or just a side effect of how Inkscape and other SVG-based editors work.

Kasey Maxwell
07-11-2013, 5:42 PM
so to make these adjustments would I possibly need alternate software? it would just make it less of a memory hog having the graphic as one solid group with 50 to 100 on the page.

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-11-2013, 6:18 PM
So the end result you are looking for is that when you select the graphic, you don't want to see all the nodes?

Using your sample and looking in the Object Manager, the graphic consists of a Group that has been named "layer1" - which I'm guessing the program creating the file gave it that name. (My logic is the graphics were located on "layer1" of that program. When I test save a graphic as SVG in Corel, it uses whatever name was used in the Object Manager.) If you ungroup the 2 items in your "layer1" graphic, you should be left with only 1 item in the Object Manager. That is the "path2225" graphic while the "SVG attributes" simply disappears.

You can create a similar thing in Corel, but I'm not sure what benefit it will do as I have not looked into size & memory used. You will need to select all your graphics, group them, then combine them into 1 graphic, then rename the group to whatever you want. When you select the graphic, you will only have 1 node instead of multiple nodes.

Another question ... are you duplicating the graphic across the page? It's been awhile since I tinkered with them, but turning a graphic into a symbol & duplicating the symbol may be what you are looking for?

Kasey Maxwell
07-11-2013, 6:48 PM
yes, I have templates made up of 50 to 100 graphics per template so when I CTRL-D across the page it basically doubles the graphics nodes every time and coreldraw seems to get really jerky from I only assume its a memory thing with all the nodes, All I need to do is get all the nodes to disappear unless I need to edit the graphic, so if I select the graphic with the shape tool nothing happens unless I ungroup it to edit it then set it back, I will play with the symbol tool and see what happens.

Thanks

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-15-2013, 8:19 PM
I had a moment to do a quick test. I opened an old "symbol" file I created in CD v12 and saved it in X6 format. The original v12 file was 72 kb in size. Embedding the X6 color profile into that file says it will add 545 kb to the size. With the color proile added, the new X6 file was 448 kb in size. I then used "revert symbols to objects" for all 21 symbols and saved a new file. That file was 803 kb in size. The symbol file allows me to select one symbol at a time and not see a bunch of nodes. The object file would need to be grouped into 21 groups, yet it would still show a gob of nodes due to the text and graphics I had in the symbol.